Turn on thread page Beta

In which part of the Uk should someone live? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've gone to England twice this year (stayed at my uncle's house in South Croydon to be exact), and was positevely impressed.

If say, someone had 300,000+ pounds to spend on a Property, and wanted a villa (a house on a private land, "detached"?), in a nice neighborhood (with other properties close by, not far away), in a nice town/area (For example South Croydon, in Surrey? Is it Surrey? ), and the house needs to be modern, not those ugly (sorry could not resist ) 1800's houses.

Where would you suggest me to live? In which area? You fellow residents of the UK should have some interesting opinions, so bring it on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FurbyMaX)
    Hey,

I've gone to England twice this year (stayed at my uncle's house in South Croydon to be exact), and was positevely impressed.

If say, someone had 300,000+ pounds to spend on a Property, and wanted a villa (a house on a private land, "detached"?), in a nice neighborhood (with other properties close by, not far away), in a nice town/area (For example South Croydon, in Surrey? Is it Surrey? ), and the house needs to be modern, not those ugly (sorry could not resist ) 1800's houses.

Where would you suggest me to live? In which area? You fellow residents of the UK should have some interesting opinions, so bring it on
    Oooohh....

Do you want to be in the country, in a town or in a city? I haven't got a clue, I just want to contribute usefully.

ReputationRep:
    just go with the theory that the further north you go, the more you'll get for your money, yet the facilities and wages may be lower too. that seems to be the standard britains view. As for surrey, i havent got a clue on house prices there .

ReputationRep:
    South Hams (choose from umpteen villages), Devon.

Ten or more good beaches to the south, Dartmoor National Park to the north... one of the best climates in the UK.

Plymouth and Exeter within reaching distance, and the English Rivera not much further.

</plug>

ReputationRep:
    For £300,000 you could get a mansion in some parts of Newcastle. Town is massive and you have the Metro Centre available for shopping as well. Can't go wrong (apart from the weather, but you learn to grow up with it).

Wages aren't that bad if you work in the city, it is just a misconception from the southerners that because its cheaper that we get paid less. True it isn't as much as the Londoners but it ain't crap.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    "This person" wants to live in a country (near a town), something like South Croydon

From what I heard north of england isn't exceptionally good, in the sense that there are low standards of living, for example there are many burglars. Is that true?

So how about if we refine the search to south of england, something like south or south west? Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    The north of england is stereotyped as been terribly poor with high crime rates (in some places i agree it is true), but just like the south, there are good and bad places, there are places in the north that can match parts of the south for standard of living, crime rate etc.

ReputationRep:
    "This person" wants to live in a country (near a town), something like South Croydon

From what I heard north of england isn't exceptionally good, in the sense that there are low standards of living, for example there are many burglars. Is that true?

So how about if we refine the search to south of england, something like south or south west? Thanks guys
    ********. Districts in London have far worse living standards than us. Personally I Don't hear of any drive by shootings in Newcastle.

Every City has its dumps, and you have just fulfilled the typical southerners view.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    The north of england is stereotyped as been terribly poor with high crime rates (in some places i agree it is true), but just like the south, there are good and bad places, there are places in the north that can match parts of the south for standard of living, crime rate etc.
    So can you give me some examples of both north and south places with good-high standards of living?

Im sorry Im asking so many questions, but I wanted to paint me a picture in my mind of the low's and high's of the uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    South Hams (choose from umpteen villages), Devon.

Ten or more good beaches to the south, Dartmoor National Park to the north... one of the best climates in the UK.

Plymouth and Exeter within reaching distance, and the English Rivera not much further.

</plug>
    Oh, and to continue my plug... exceptionally low crime rates (unless you run in to a Tony Martin type character).

ReputationRep:
    Live in a Leeds, big and stylish

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, some parts of london were declared the worst in europe, matching bulgaria for quality, though when you go through some (not all) parts of leeds i think the sentiment can be shared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    ********. Districts in London have far worse living standards than us. Personally I Don't hear of any drive by shootings in Newcastle.

Every City has its dumps, and you have just fulfilled the typical southerners view.

Adam
    Yes I think that I have been affected by a stereotyped southerner view (My uncle; not that he is against living in the north, he was justing giving us hints that the south of England was a little bit better)

I just need everyone's view and opinions, as said in the previous post, as to depict a picture of England in my mind

So bring it on guys! And boy you lot are fast too :P In less than two minutes after the thread was created, two posts were already made

Im going to have dinner, so continue the search! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I hear cheshires nice, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think that I have been affected by a stereotyped southerner view (My uncle; not that he is against living in the north, he was justing giving us hints that the south of England was a little bit better)

I just need everyone's view and opinions, as said in the previous post, as to depict a picture of England in my mind

So bring it on guys! And boy you lot are fast too :P In less than two minutes after the thread was created, two posts were already made

Im going to have dinner, so continue the search! Thanks!
    Where abouts does your Uncle live? By any chance is it in Surrey.

Most people will say their City is better than everyone elses.

South is probably posher, but unless your buying a £5m+ mansion then there is no point. You can buy expensive houses up North and everything is cheaper. Only thing thats not as good are the salaries.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    the salary may be lower but so is the cost of living so all parts of england tend to balance each other out in that respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    I live in the north (fairly north) and for £300,000 round here you would get a reasonable detatched or semi-detatched house, but the good properties are £500,000+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I live in the north (fairly north) and for £300,000 round here you would get a reasonable detatched or semi-detatched house, but the good properties are £500,000+
    It must be like really good then...

Cause for that amount of money you would get a proper good house...like mansion style

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)

Adam
    exactly, we live in a nice little community, crime is nearly unheard of, 20 mins to Manchester, 3 mins to the countryside, excellent facilities and standards of living, as nice as anywhere down South.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    It must be like really good then...

Cause for that amount of money you would get a proper good house...like mansion style
    Yeah, it is a few small villages, but prices really went up during the national rise.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.