In which part of the Uk should someone live?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Umm.... your post rate is near 90 PER DAY!!!
Yes, I believe that is the highest in the forum.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Yes, I believe that is the highest in the forum.
Do you have time for anything else?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Do you have time for anything else?
Yes, yes I do. I only spend about 2-3 hours per night on the forum anyway. I will have to cut that down though. On school days, the post count goes to about 20-25.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I live in South Croydon. The houses around here are pretty expensive. I would guess a four bedroom detatched house would set you back £500 000 or so.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
4 bed detached would be about £400k here if it was a victorian style one near the green. Otherwise it would be anything from £250-£300,000
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
How do you know? In fact there is a member under that name...
who no one likes i beat him in a comp of who was more popular
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Yes, yes I do. I only spend about 2-3 hours per night on the forum anyway. I will have to cut that down though. On school days, the post count goes to about 20-25.
same on mine.I so hate school
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Our very own Maskall goes to a school down the road from me (well a few roads). I'm from West Park, Leeds
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
Our very own Maskall goes to a school down the road from me (well a few roads). I'm from West Park, Leeds
are you friends?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Badly Drawn Boy lives near me, he goes to my local the hourse and jockey.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
are you friends?
I've never met him in real life.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
I've never met him in real life.
thank god...
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
thank god...
Now that would be an, erm, "interesting" experience.
FurbyMaX
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
You lot have given me so many places, and all these names just confuse me

Due to "business", I think it is better to live somewhere in Surrey, although I agree that the houses sold in the southern parts of England are really expensive, and don't really seem worth the money...

For example I was looking at 1 million pounds and above houses (not that we plan living in them ) in london (and somewhere outside) using foxton.co.uk

For one million pounds, the houses seem fugly, and that is because you get the high techno houses, which seem bland. Those techno houses are too expensive (over 1.5 million) and just seem too futuristic.

Or, The other set of houses, which are the total opposite, and still are not worth the money are those moody properties which seem to belong to the 1800s, those "edwardian" houses... The reason I don't like those houses is because both outside and inside they seem moody, almost depressing. For the posh and snobby they may be perfect (these houses may have a royal atmosphere), but for me they are just plain depressing.

The last set of houses are the ones which blend those edwardian houses with those futuristic ones. The result are houses which seem more futuristic than edwardian, but still do not seem bland, and are lively, and not depressing. They seem a perfect choice for me, or is it?
No, they are not, because they really are expensive. The interior of those houses are of good quality and style, but the exterior... Not depressing, but not that stylish too. And another problem is that some of them are not detached, and most of them are inside london (and they are more expensive than the ones located say in east surrey, which is because these houses are situated in more 'regal' areas).

So if I had one million pounds to spend, what would my initial impressions be of where to live? I'd say East Surrey. But keep in mind that Im still depicting the picture, and that therefore Im still searching for towns and areas which offer me what I want (Ive seen nice houses in the north). However these are 1million pounds plus houses, and are really above the budget of 300k pounds. Everyone has his own taste, and I briefly showed mine. That may be because I have been influenced by the Italian styled houses, which for me seem good enough (and especially some areas are not posh, not snobby, but still so beautiful and oh so good...)

So the search is still on...
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
best city is london, but £300000 wont get you any really decent property in a nice are here, certainly not detached one.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Near Exeter, devon!! Nice

But if you've got family in surrey area it might be nicer to live there.. plus other things like jobs to consider..
Are you actually buying somewhere or are you just hypothetically asking?
YouKnewThat!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have relatives in Richmond Surrey, and also in Kent (Kent is much more interesting than Surrey). How about north London?
Up north not sure... Cheshire? Shropshire is beautiful, and near to Liverpool/Birmingham.

Avoid following places in London; Elephant and Castle and around the Oval. Highest crime rate in city, or one of the highest at any rate.

As people have already said, there are highs and lows to every area. For example, a lot of Surrey is on the flight path to Heathrow... Kingston/Hampton and Richmond are anyway! And Kent is very overpopulated, especially around Chatham and Rochester.
JuniperBlue
Report 16 years ago
I live in Croydon, it's crap.

But it's a good location - Croydon's good for shoppping, and only half an hour train ride from London. And Surrey as a whole is a good area - try somewhere like Banstead or Epsom. Purley (in Surrey) has the highest concentration of millionaires in the UK - very posh area, some beautiful houses (don't even consider buying one) - take a drive around the Webb Estate when you're next here!

But if you want somewhere where it's safe to walk the streets at night, avoid anywhere near london! Lol! Cheltenham's nice.

House prices in London are high, I hear the further North you go, the cheaper they get, but something to do with inflation is making prices rise more there (I think).

The flight path thing doesn't really make much difference - We're under the path for both Heathrow and Gatwick but it doesn't really affect us (well, maybe having lived here all my life I just don't notice it).

Another thing - light pollution. It shouldn't affect your choice of house but one thing I've noticed about living here - it is never truly dark. Even far from streetlights, there is a glow about everything. It's good cuz I hate the dark.

And general pollution and graffiti etc is bad in most cities.

If I was going to buy a house, it'd be in a green, leafy area somewhere between Surrey and Kent.

Jo xx
FurbyMaX
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
A house that I won't be able to afford yet but which impressed me a lot is this: http://www.ibbettmosely.co.uk/ibbett...p818_Nutct.htm

I wish all of the properties on sale has this sort of style
stu_uk_aussie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
East Anglia although flat Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire are excellent places to live. You have historic Cambridge and Ipswich and Norwich which arnt absolutely buzzing but they are reasonable places to go out in. PLus London is only 90 mins away and it is easy to commute into London. Although house prices are quite expensive you could get a very nice house on the outside of a big town in East Anglia. PLus you have a wonderful huge forest and countryside and your close to the sea and coast with Costal towns such as Lowestoft, GT Yarmouth and HUnstanton.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads