Turn on thread page Beta

In which part of the Uk should someone live? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FurbyMaX)
    A house that I won't be able to afford yet but which impressed me a lot is this: http://www.ibbettmosely.co.uk/ibbett...p818_Nutct.htm

I wish all of the properties on sale has this sort of style
    The house looks too modern for my taste but it's very nice, especially its sze and I like the interior and its views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The house looks too modern for my taste but it's very nice, especially its sze and I like the interior and its views.
    Have you seen the price? Its certainly worth that much

ReputationRep:
    me 2....

ReputationRep:
    A house that I won't be able to afford yet but which impressed me a lot is this: http://www.ibbettmosely.co.uk/ibbett...p818_Nutct.htm

I wish all of the properties on sale has this sort of style
    Whoa, now that is posh.

ReputationRep:
    yuk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Whoa, now that is posh.
    that house in tecas would go for about 500,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    yuk
    What sort of house do you like then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    *texas

ReputationRep:
    In Italy, a house like that would cost 600k-800k euros. Generally the houses in England don't seem very much worth the money. But what the heck, for that money you might as well hire an architect and design your dream house on your dream land, according to your own preferences and taste. Or not?

ReputationRep:
    dollars or pounds?

ReputationRep:
    dollars or pounds?
    Neither, Texan Money...

ReputationRep:
    In Italy, a house like that would cost 600k-800k euros. Generally the houses in England don't seem very much worth the money. But what the heck, for that money you might as well hire an architect and design your dream house on your dream land, according to your own preferences and taste. Or not?
    Once you've bought a piece of land in a nice area of Surrey and all the costs and hassle that entails, then find an architect to design your house, pay their fees, find a building firm to build it, pay their fees and wait for them to finish it, pay other costs entailed and look at the amount it has cost you, as well as the hassle, you'll see why we do it this way.

All over the country prices are incredibly high, that's the way it is here.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've gone to England twice this year (stayed at my uncle's house in South Croydon to be exact), and was positevely impressed.

If say, someone had 300,000+ pounds to spend on a Property, and wanted a villa (a house on a private land, "detached"?), in a nice neighborhood (with other properties close by, not far away), in a nice town/area (For example South Croydon, in Surrey? Is it Surrey? ), and the house needs to be modern, not those ugly (sorry could not resist ) 1800's houses.

Where would you suggest me to live? In which area? You fellow residents of the UK should have some interesting opinions, so bring it on
    Sunningdale and Englefield Green in Surrey are gorgeous places and i think the average looking houses wil cost you about 300,000 but the really posh looking houses will cost you above 600,000. The houses in these areas usually fall into the millions catgeory.

ReputationRep:
    Croydon!!!! lol.. I can't believe you liked it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Croydon!!!! lol.. I can't believe you liked it there.
    I actually did not really like the center of Croydon (although the incredible thing is the discipline of the traffic, and the neatness of all, which is the total opposite here in Rome), but found South Croydon (near the hills) with the neatness and nature that surrounded the residence area to be really nice (better than what we have here in Italy, with all the traffic and chaos).

The real thing that puts me down however is the fogginess of England, and how it is always raining

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to add something?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to add something?
    It doesn't always rain, just a sizeable part of the time.

ReputationRep:
    I actually did not really like the center of Croydon (although the incredible thing is the discipline of the traffic, and the neatness of all, which is the total opposite here in Rome), but found South Croydon (near the hills) with the neatness and nature that surrounded the residence area to be really nice (better than what we have here in Italy, with all the traffic and chaos).

The real thing that puts me down however is the fogginess of England, and how it is always raining
    The rain is one thing that makes me want to live there, or at least a year long holiday Try going 2 years without ever seeing the stuff. Actually some kid was 3 and a half in one of our more rural towns before she saw her first drop of rain. Front page news with a little girl spashing around in the rain and puddles. After he parents told her it was perfectly natural of course

I agree with most of what JuniperBlue said.

Croydon is not regarded as a very nice place to live and is the subject of a lot of jokes, however, like you said, the south of the borough is a pleasant area. The reason it is so expensive is the ease of commuting to London. If you are not planning to work, then you can get much more for your money elsewhere.

I don't think the type of architectural style you seem to like is in fashion at the moment, but you'll probably find the odd house like that in every area.

(Original post by Sire)
    The rain is one thing that makes me want to live there, or at least a year long holiday Try going 2 years without ever seeing the stuff. Actually some kid was 3 and a half in one of our more rural towns before she saw her first drop of rain. Front page news with a little girl spashing around in the rain and puddles. After he parents told her it was perfectly natural of course
    It gets very depressing after a while.

btw: this may not be the best time to buy a house in England as prices have risen a lot in the last few years and are unlikely to grow by much in the near future. They might even fall a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Denham (Berkshire?) is the most expensive place to live in the country outside London, although it's still inside the M25.

Reigate/Leatherhead/Dorking in Surrey are OK, not sure how expensive though.

I agree with Anna about Sunningdale; also Wokingham is quite posh.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.