Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FurbyMaX)
    I actually did not really like the center of Croydon (although the incredible thing is the discipline of the traffic, and the neatness of all, which is the total opposite here in Rome), but found South Croydon (near the hills) with the neatness and nature that surrounded the residence area to be really nice (better than what we have here in Italy, with all the traffic and chaos).

The real thing that puts me down however is the fogginess of England, and how it is always raining
    You live in Rome? Gorgeous city (although was a bit hot last time I was there). And I know what you mean about the roads. Last time I went to Rome, the main motorway had lost its roadmarkings and had changed from a three way bumper-to-bumper to a six lane speedway without the road widening at all.

You have to accept that the further south you go, the more expensive house prices will be though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    You live in Rome? Gorgeous city (although was a bit hot last time I was there). And I know what you mean about the roads. Last time I went to Rome, the main motorway had lost its roadmarkings and had changed from a three way bumper-to-bumper to a six lane speedway without the road widening at all.

You have to accept that the further south you go, the more expensive house prices will be though...
    There was a nice flash video that depicted how Italy was different from the rest of Europe. Very hilarious, but still so true that it almost saddens me

About the rain. Here in Rome there is a good balance between sunny days and rainy days, and sometimes Im actually glad that it rains. However, seeing the beautiful landscapes of England, a little bit of sunshine wouldn't hurt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuniperBlue)
    I live in Croydon, it's crap.

But it's a good location - Croydon's good for shoppping, and only half an hour train ride from London. And Surrey as a whole is a good area - try somewhere like Banstead or Epsom. Purley (in Surrey) has the highest concentration of millionaires in the UK - very posh area, some beautiful houses (don't even consider buying one) - take a drive around the Webb Estate when you're next here!

But if you want somewhere where it's safe to walk the streets at night, avoid anywhere near london! Lol! Cheltenham's nice.

House prices in London are high, I hear the further North you go, the cheaper they get, but something to do with inflation is making prices rise more there (I think).

The flight path thing doesn't really make much difference - We're under the path for both Heathrow and Gatwick but it doesn't really affect us (well, maybe having lived here all my life I just don't notice it).

Another thing - light pollution. It shouldn't affect your choice of house but one thing I've noticed about living here - it is never truly dark. Even far from streetlights, there is a glow about everything. It's good cuz I hate the dark.

And general pollution and graffiti etc is bad in most cities.

If I was going to buy a house, it'd be in a green, leafy area somewhere between Surrey and Kent.

Jo xx
    Cheltenham is nice, yes.
    Croydon isn't really near Gatwick or Heathrow though, Richmond is only 5 miles away from Heathrow... some of the larger aircraft even start retracting their wheels over Twickenham, which adds extra noise *Puts anorack away*

I'd love to go to Rome. Hear there is a traffic problem though, compared to the rest of Italy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    Cheltenham is nice, yes.
    Croydon isn't really near Gatwick or Heathrow though, Richmond is only 5 miles away from Heathrow... some of the larger aircraft even start retracting their wheels over Twickenham, which adds extra noise *Puts anorack away*

I'd love to go to Rome. Hear there is a traffic problem though, compared to the rest of Italy?
    They say:

In Milan, traffic lights are rules, in Rome, suggestions and in Naples, decorations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    They say:

In Milan, traffic lights are rules, in Rome, suggestions and in Naples, decorations.
    Sounds pretty accurate, yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    Cheltenham is nice, yes.

Retracting? I meant the opposite.. whatever that word is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    They say:

Lol that's pretty true
    Especially about Naples

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    Indeed, some parts of london were declared the worst in europe, matching bulgaria for quality, though when you go through some (not all) parts of leeds i think the sentiment can be shared.
    matching bulgaria for living quality ? bulgaria is really nice. why are you comparing it to bulgaria.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.