Want more information about this university?
chocolate*angel
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
can anyone give me any inside info on the halls???
I like the sir christophers court, nunnery court and princess alice court as they are closest to the markeaton street site and britannia mill which i need. I am going to go into an en suite so can anyone tell me about the room sizes??

Ive looked on the website but they use the same photos for each hall which is stupid in my mind. Ive seen the en suite at the sir christophers court and really liked it as it had A LOT of space from the bed to the desk. Do the other two halls have more space? the same? or less??

Any help will be appreciated
Acun
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I've got no idea either, so I would appreciate some insight too.

Starting in September, and picking from Sir Peter Hilton Court, Nunnery Court and Princess Alice Court. I'm not really sure if there's any difference, and they're all pretty close to Kedleston road!

Just out of curiosity, when're you applying for and what course are you doing?
chocolate*angel
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
im applying to the photography BA Hons course... and you??
Katrina18
Report 10 years ago
Hey im starting in september too..and choosing Sir Peter Hilton Court it looks nice.
light_seeker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think there's much difference really...
Acun
Report 10 years ago
(edit)

Fixed! Looks like we can apply now.
Pickford
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lonsdale is a very good hall to choose, don't dissmiss it just because it is a little futher away.
bubblerawk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i was in SPHC for 2 years, they arent bad, there rooms are big compared to some of the others
sir christophers cour doesnt have alot of en suites maybe a handful same with nunnery and Princess Alice.
Peak court has the most en suites then maybe followed by peter hilton.

the last time i check the 5 bus which runs between lonsdale and sir christophers court runs every 30 mins where as the 6 which runs between SPHC, Princess Alice and peak court runs every 10 mins, but that was at the beginning of sept 2009 when i last check so these maybe different now.

but i live in a house off ashbourne road so i just get the 4 bus which is free.
unrealnumbers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey everyone!

I have just finished my first year and stayed in Peak court.

For halls, Peak court (all ensuite), Princess Alice (Few ensuite, mainly standard rooms), Peter Hilton (Few ensuite, mainly standard rooms), are all very close to each other and are the closest to Keddleston road campus and are all very close to markeaton. The three halls are very close to each other (under a minute from any to any) and are the closest to the city centre also. Under 15 minutes walk, or 5 min bus.

I enjoyed the ensuite at peak court, and so much so that i am staying there again in september.

I hope this helps and i may see some of you around!
If you have any questions at all about derby uni or the city just PM me and ill get back to you!
kayleigh mercer
Report 10 years ago
I am studying Media Production in September at Derby.

I will be living at peak court, just wondering if any one is able to post any photos of the rooms at peak court to get an idea of how big they are etc. makes deciding what to take easier.
unrealnumbers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kayleigh mercer)
I am studying Media Production in September at Derby.

I will be living at peak court, just wondering if any one is able to post any photos of the rooms at peak court to get an idea of how big they are etc. makes deciding what to take easier.
Hey Kayleigh,

Im a second year staying at peak court again this year. Here is my room from last year. sorry about the mess... Which room you staying in?

Philster07
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is my halls room from last year (this was me post cleaning it up, meny of the people I went out with had fits when they walked into it)

I was in SPHC and my mates came from Princess Alice, for 1st years they are the places to be. The other halls are quiter and less frantic

Edit: and if anyone is suspicious on my bed it is a bb gun that was pretty lethal last year (I got it in self defence as my flatmate kept using one against me so I went to airsoft UK )
Will.P
Report 9 years ago
Hi peoples

I'm staying in Nunnery Court in the first year of my hnd business and management course (yes very exciting:rolleyes: ) and theres a few things on my mind which i need to no about the place when i move in on 14th Sept.

The kitchens are shared by how many flatmates per flat?
What's in the common room?
How far is it to the uni +city centre.
How should i go to the uni (by local bus/walk etc)
And is there a car park there which is secure (ie cctv?)

That's all folks. Feel free to see me whoever is on this court - im in flat 7, room 1 as i probably need support to get me settled in without panicking n stressing and most importantly I like meetin any types of people and bein mates and i want a lot of grate nights AWAY FROM THE HELL OF WORK!!!!!!!
Pickford
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Will.P)
Hi peoples

I'm staying in Nunnery Court in the first year of my hnd business and management course (yes very exciting:rolleyes: ) and theres a few things on my mind which i need to no about the place when i move in on 14th Sept.

That's all folks. Feel free to see me whoever is on this court - im in flat 7, room 1 as i probably need support to get me settled in without panicking n stressing and most importantly I like meetin any types of people and bein mates and i want a lot of grate nights AWAY FROM THE HELL OF WORK!!!!!!!
I think that kitches are shared by 6 people at the nunnery.
Common room is filled with chairs, TV, a wirless point for your laptop and a pool table.
i think it is about 15 minutes to both
walk there unless it is raining
yeah there are car parks on hall site with a barrier blocking the entrance/exit and security guard at night

enjoy your stay at derby!
shsks
Report 9 years ago
Nunnery, flat 12. I move in on the 18th. Feel free to drop by and not help me move in.
Matt2207
Report 9 years ago
I'm in flat 12 also What floor you on?
shsks
Report 9 years ago
Ground room 4
Matt2207
Report 9 years ago
Woo ground floor aswell I'm in room 2 and a mate of mine is in room 3
shsks
Report 9 years ago
oh nice! Chuck us facebook link or something in a pm. then at least I'll know someone on saturday :P
Razeth
Report 9 years ago
Hey, I'm at 16A1 Nunnery Court...again, Second Year. So if any of you need any help with anything round derby, good pubs/clubs, decent places to shop etc etc jus send me a message on here or pop round xP I'll be in from Friday onwards.

EDIT: Oh and some facts, Nunnery Court, Peak Court, Princess Alice and Sir Peter Hilton are all pretty much next to each other, so when the site says 'Sir Peter Hilton is closer to town' it LITERALLY means by about 2 roads to cross xD. Lonsdale is much further South then the rest. Personally I picked Nunnery Court again because it's, well, cozy. Nice fountain in the middle, pretty much opposite Sainsbury's, bout 15-20 min walk from Kedleston Road.

EDIT...again:
Nunnery Court has 5 people per flat, each with 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom and 1 shower (usually)
The common room has a Jukebox, Wifi, a TV, a Pool Table and Vending Machines.
20 minute walk to Uni, bout 10 to City Centre.
Bus is £1.50 one way to Uni, so if you're late its alright, but walking is fine
Nunnery Court has a car park with CCTV, but you need a parking permit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (178)
38.12%
Take autumn exams (144)
30.84%
Look for a job (16)
3.43%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.5%
Take a year out (80)
17.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
6%

Watched Threads