Turn on thread page Beta

Are CAM responses due from now?? watch

ReputationRep:
    If so, how did you do??

ReputationRep:
    I expect it will be from Monday onwards at the very earliest that things are mailed out.

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allotriophagy)
    I expect it will be from Monday onwards at the very earliest that things are mailed out.

a.
    Cometh the hour...

ReputationRep:
    Getting nervous yet?

~stares at calendar~

a.

ReputationRep:
    Getting nervous yet?

~stares at calendar~

a.
    Me??? Naaahhh... *picks up keys and rushes off to the letterbox*

ReputationRep:
    Getting nervous yet?

~stares at calendar~

a.
    Remind me, which subjects & college are you applying for? You're a mature student, right?

ReputationRep:
    Law at John's. Yep, mature student...I'm 23 so only about 7 years left before I drop dead. Plenty of time to get a degree though.

Bit of a problem though. I was sent a little form to fill in to state which address I wanted my decision letter sent to - home address (where I am now) or Oxford address (where I study) - and I can't remember which address I put, because at the time I wasn't sure where I would be because I'm useless with dates.

So I may have to wait till the 12th of January before I get the letter. Urgh.

a.

ReputationRep:
    Bummer... Hopefully I'll see you at St. John's!!! That would be great. There was a lot of competition there for law, wasn't there? Same for history I guess.

I'm a bit confused... If you're studying at Oxford, why do you want to go to Cambridge? Fed up with the college rivalry or what???

Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a year long course at Ruskin, a mature student college in Oxford which has links with the University (I go to lectures and use their libraries etc.). It's residential and has the same tutorial system. It's next door to Worcester and John Prescott went in the 70s or something (though I live up at the Hall in Headington).

You applied to John's too? Hurrah! On the day I had my interviews, there were maybe 15 other people in the room for the test. There are about ten places for law so say a week of interviews with at least ten people per day...yeah, it's quite a lot. But I am not bothering myself with the numbers. To be honest, I think I did well in the interviews but not the test. If I'm not offered a place then I'll just have to deal with it and go somewhere else. Perhaps I should start saying things like "Well, I never really wanted to go in the first place!" just to cover my tracks.

But secretly...I am wondering what I would wear to the May Ball.

a.

ReputationRep:
    Better get a ticket then... Hey, how about that: if we both get in, we'll go to the May Ball together? That'd be funny!

What course are you doing at the mo' btw? Out of interest... And why did you not apply for law at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    You should be aware that I am not a girl! I just have pink lips. Also not a cheap date. :P

I'm doing the law course just now. I know a lot of unis do not want their law applicants to have studied law beforehand, but I'm only doing subjects that would be covered in 2nd and 3rd year at uni and mostly in optional subjects - EU law, employment law, sex and gender, medical ethics, anti-discrimination law and so on. At the interviews I've had (Cambridge and Newcastle), I've made sure they know this and that I won't be spending first year snoozing my way through Tort. But the main benefit is having access to the Bodleian and the Law Faculty library in Oxford.

I was thinking about applying to Oxford (Worcester, New or Harris Manchester) and went to various open days. But I had visited John's a few years ago (had a friend studying music there) and it was always at the back of my mind. Didn't think I stood a chance though. I visited John's again when I was at the Cambridge Summer School. When I finally got in touch with them (sent a huge email to the admissions office) and they were EXTREMELY helpful and friendly, my mind was made up. Turns out they are at the forefront of access initiatives in Cambridge.

Just wish the damn letter would get here! How about you? Why John's?

a.

ReputationRep:
    I just want A response so I can go about planning 2004.

ReputationRep:
    lol!!! Funny mistake! Mind you, your avatar, name and the fact that you didn't put down your sex in your profile are a bit misleading... also the fact that you wondered what to wear for the May Ball... for guys it's pretty obvious: a tuxedo! Never mind...

Are you doing a law conversion course? In this case, why not finish it, get a firm to train you and then start earning money? And what did you do before that law course?

Yes, St. John's are very friendly and very efficient- not like other unis (no names mentioned)...

I chose St. John's because it's just so beautiful- I know it matters more what's inside a college than how it looks, but still... they also have good facilities, grants and so on...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should fill in my gender and swap my avatar for a picture of sideburns.

The course at Ruskin isn't a conversion course - totally different. Oh I am sooooo looking forward to trying to explain this to everyone at whatever uni I end up at.

John's is beautiful though and that's definitely one of the reasons I chose it. I think I mentioned that in my general interview. Whoops. The book grants are a bit cute since they have a great new library.

Did you speak to any other historians at the interviews? I only spoke to one other lawyer and one medic, who were both lovely.

a.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should fill in my gender and swap my avatar for a picture of sideburns.

The course at Ruskin isn't a conversion course - totally different. Oh I am sooooo looking forward to trying to explain this to everyone at whatever uni I end up at.

John's is beautiful though and that's definitely one of the reasons I chose it. I think I mentioned that in my general interview. Whoops. The book grants are a bit cute since they have a great new library.

Did you speak to any other historians at the interviews? I only spoke to one other lawyer and one medic, who were both lovely.

a.
    If it's so complicated, don't bother explaining...

The library is nice, I went there to work on the source they gave me for my subject interview... There's nothing wrong with saying that John's is beautiful in your interview, is there?

Didn't get to speak to any historians, partly cos I was there with my best mate who applied for NatSci at King's. I spoke to geography and English students I met at dinner...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I will just say I did A levels.

Nothing wrong with saying it's beautiful, unless you then sit and repeat that as your answer to every question for 30 minutes.

I didn't have lunch in College since the cafeteria was scary and reminded me of Ruskin, whose food I suffer too much as it is.

a.

ReputationRep:
    (though I live up at the Hall in Headington).
    you live about 400 yards from my house then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    you live about 400 yards from my house then
    Then you simply must come for tea at Ruskin Hall. No matter what day you come on, it will be chips, reshaped chicken chunks and fruit salad with ice cream. Unless you are vegetarian, in which case you will have to make do with a pile of vegetable spring rolls.

To where did you apply?

a.

ReputationRep:
    Then you simply must come for tea at Ruskin Hall. No matter what day you come on, it will be chips, reshaped chicken chunks and fruit salad with ice cream. Unless you are vegetarian, in which case you will have to make do with a pile of vegetable spring rolls.

To where did you apply?
    LOL I would, but I'm not cheeky enough to blag my way in and also tbh it doesn't sound quite as good as what I could do for myself

Well I was persuaded into applying Oxford, despite having preferred Cambridge because I thought it would be really boring going to uni in my home town and also bumping into parents would be annoying. However I was rejected so it won't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    That's too bad. But you could easily blag your way into Ruskin! Just dress like a tramp and speak with a verrrrrry Northern accent. Works for the rest of us.

Which uni do you fancy going to now? Or will you reapply next year for Cambridge?

(Fun trivia fact - my first name is Alexander.)

a.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.