If you fail all your A-levels... Watch

Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
...all is not lost :

(sorry if this has already been discussed)

http://education.guardian.co.uk/alev...542924,00.html

Day of mindless fun for A-level washouts

Matthew Taylor, education correspondent
Friday August 5, 2005
The Guardian

Hurtling around a bone-shaking roller coaster, hemmed in by shrieking children, may not be the perfect antidote to failing all-important exams.
But from August 18 Alton Towers is offering free entry for two days to A-level students who get three Us - marks so low they are unclassified. The theme park's marketing manager, Mike Lorimer explains, the offer is only open to "genuine failures."

"Only those students with photo identification and an original exam slip will be allowed in for free," he said. "All exams must have been failed comprehensively and we are only interested in exam slips from 2005 - this is for newly qualified failures only!"

Mr Lorimer insists it is an offer made with the best interests of the students at heart. "We just wanted to cheer up all those kids who didn't do well and turn a bad day into a fun day for them," he said

"Usually, it's the clever kids that get rewarded, so we're turning this notion on its head. At least they can then boast to their mates that they won't have to pay for a good day out."
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I find that article interesting. Even though, I went, I won't be in the mood for it.

The thread of the title just made me worry even more about results day.
kitsune
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
mmm can someone get UUU???!!!
SlyPie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well one day of free rides to prep them for a life of failure.

I don't really know much about A-levels, but i assume that to get a U, you have to be beyond lazy, but also really stupid right?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kitsune)
mmm can someone get UUU???!!!
That is rare though. Talking about grade U's, I have a feeling that I might have one. *hope I don't, fingers crossed*.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
LOL! All is not lost
Pegasus
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
I find that article interesting. Even though, I went, I won't be in the mood for it. Instead, I would be finding a place through clearing or persuading an admissions tutor to accept me.

The thread of the title just made me worry even more about results day.
Would any university actually accept someone with three fails, even through clearing? (Persuming they didn't have other passes at A-level/ equivelant qualification)
Magician
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
scary...

a bit harsh for Mike Lorimer to class those students with UUU as being "genuine failures".
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
Would any university actually accept someone with three fails, even through clearing? (Persuming they didn't have other passes at A-level/ equivelant qualification)
Nope, they won't accept students with U's. Didn't think before I type, sorry.
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Instead, I would be finding a place through clearing or persuading an admissions tutor to accept me.
I sincerely hope and expect nobody would be able to get a place at a 'university' with 3 U grades. I'm already quite disgusted with courses like surf studies / adventure studies and their corresponding admissions requirements.
Pegasus
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlyPie)

I don't really know much about A-levels, but i assume that to get a U, you have to be beyond lazy, but also really stupid right?
I know someone who got a couple of Us, and he's not particularly stupid (although not the sharpest knife in the rack) but is incredibly lazy and never saw him doing any work outside of class (and rarely even in class). But that was only in the first year, most schools/ colleges won't let you carry on to the second year if you fail the first so I can't imagine there are that many people who get 3 Us at A-level.
amie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)

I suppose if you took a bad subject combination, never turned up to school and put literally no work in, a person of average intelligence might get three Us.

You don't have to be really stupid to get one U though. I know one girl who got a U in General Studies - probably the easiest A-Level, so easy that some people don't ever go to class and come out with an A, and one which isn't often included in university offers - and yet got an A for Art, an A for DT and a B for Communications!
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
I think most have minimum requirements of 2Es at A-Levels.
Magician
Report 13 years ago
I'd rather be dead than get 3 U's
amie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagician)
I'd rather be dead than get 3 U's
Honestly?! Isn't that a bit extreme? :eek:

I'd be devastated if I got one U, let alone three (actually I'll be devastated with anything that gets me rejected from my firm, but whatever). But if I had to choose between passing my A-Levels and having my health, I'd pick my health
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
omg this is a joke. How is it even possible to get 3 U's?
leona
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
These posts about how easy it is to get 3 Us has really worried me that I haven;t done enough work. I'm not exactly reknowned as the most studious individual, but I was expecting Bs, maybe a few Cs, at AS, perhaps I have been slightly presumptuous! I'm sure it won't be as bad as that but the possibility is there and I had never thought about it!

*must. stop. thinking. about. results.*
Pegasus
Rep:
?
(Original post by leona)
These posts about how easy it is to get 3 Us has really worried me that I haven;t done enough work. I'm not exactly reknowned as the most studious individual, but I was expecting Bs, maybe a few Cs, at AS, perhaps I have been slightly presumptuous! I'm sure it won't be as bad as that but the possibility is there and I had never thought about it!

*must. stop. thinking. about. results.*
In my experience most people who get Us know for sure that they're going to get Us and it comes as very little surprise to them so I wouldn't worry about it.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Interesting. 'You failed all your exams, so I'm going to give you a treat'. Doesn't happen a lot, does it?

Oh, and about stupid courses like 'surfing studies' having low entry requirements, I thought so too, but when I was looking at Birmingham's prospectus the other day, I found a 'golf course management' course that wanted ABB! Surely someone with ABB would have the sense to do a proper degree???
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Interesting. 'You failed all your exams, so I'm going to give you a treat'. Doesn't happen a lot, does it?

Oh, and about stupid courses like 'surfing studies' having low entry requirements, I thought so too, but when I was looking at Birmingham's prospectus the other day, I found a 'golf course management' course that wanted ABB! Surely someone with ABB would have the sense to do a proper degree???
not if they did sports studies A-Level.... :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise