Why universities should give preference to state schools Watch

This discussion is closed.
colourfulcrissi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Presumably people who go to private schools get better educations because otherwise parents would not waste so much money. So when comparing two students, one from a state school and one from a private school, it seems clear that a state school student would have to had worked harder to reach the same grade. This should be recognised by universities, and I think mostly it is...
but this poses a different point: are private school's even fair, should people be allowed to pay for a better standard of education?
Or should all children be offered equal education regardless of parent's wealth?
__cup1234__
Badges: 9
Report 9 years ago
:sigh: I this is gonna end in tears. I know where your coming from but you have worded it really badly. I suppose if you work hard and your are lucky then sky is the limit irrespective of your background
moomin_love
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by colourfulcrissi)
Clearly, people who go to private schools get better educations (generally) than people in state schools and if someone in a state school gets equal grades to someone in a private school then 99 times out of 100 they would have worked harder to get that point and therefore deserve a place over someone who's parents have ploughed money into their child's education.

Discuss?

And also, are private school's even fair, should people be allowed to pay for a better standard of education or should all children be offered equal education regardless of parent's wealth?
This theory doesn't always work considering when I moved from a state school to a private school my grades went down and when I went to college (state obviously) after private my grades went back up... I've always been weird though!
JW92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a fair point and I can see both sides of the argument. But, you'll probably get private schoolboys and girls telling you how outrageous you are. It's also not as clear cut as state/private especially when you take into account grammar schools, faith schools and other stuff.
Rayel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think universities should be allowed to see what school you are from at all.

If you are an unusually high achiever in your inner London ghetto comprehensive then by all means have your referee mention that fact in your reference - it will make the whole thing a lot fairer, without having to discriminate against people from private schools.
Lindsey123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In an ideal world all children would receive the same education and life chances regardless of their income or background. This is not how the world works.

My mum doesn't think you should be able to pay for healthcare or education :/

I don't think Universities should favour state schools. Surely that's just positive discrimination again?!
JAKstriked
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go to Communist Russia. If people want to pay for better education, then let them. The real question that should be raised is why state education is seemingly so bad that people feel the need to pay thousands a term for private scools.
colourfulcrissi
Rep:
?
(Original post by moomin_love)
This theory doesn't always work considering when I moved from a state school to a private school my grades went down and when I went to college (state obviously) after private my grades went back up... I've always been weird though!
Ahh that's interesting, maybe you needed the challenge, the competition?
Or else enjoyed being the best at what you do and therefore strove to maintain that standard?
Orrrrr maybe in teaching others, when classes get out of control, you actually learnt it better yourself?
Welsh_insomniac
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to a state school, but what about all of the extra stuff you learn going to a public school? I don't think you can base it just on grades; since the quality of education as a whole is to a much higher standard.

Universities shouldn't give prevelence to any type of school. They should base their view on the cadidate and not whether they went to a state school or not. It's illogical to think otherwise.
colourfulcrissi
Rep:
?
(Original post by JW92)
It's a fair point and I can see both sides of the argument. But, you'll probably get private schoolboys and girls telling you how outrageous you are. It's also not as clear cut as state/private especially when you take into account grammar schools, faith schools and other stuff.
I should have probably specified, I don't mean faith schools but generic private school's where there is no minimum grade entry.
Farseer
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would parents pay so much money if at the end of it didn't gain them any advantage when it came to applying fo universities? That kind of defeats the point of paying for a private education.
colourfulcrissi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lindsey123)
In an ideal world all children would receive the same education and life chances regardless of their income or background. This is not how the world works.

My mum doesn't think you should be able to pay for healthcare or education :/

I don't think Universities should favour state schools. Surely that's just positive discrimination again?!
I don't think it is, because it's not dicrimination to increase the numbers of state school students going to university, it's favouritism based on the conditions in which they had to work and therefore perhaps are more likely to succeed at that university. Its taking into account the context of the achievment.
WEB
Report 9 years ago
Presumably people who go to private schools get better educations because otherwise parents would not waste so much money. So when comparing two students, one from a state school and one from a private school, it seems clear that a state school student would have to had worked harder to reach the same grade. This should be recognised by universities, and I think mostly it is...
but this poses a different point: are private school's even fair, should people be allowed to pay for a better standard of education?
Or should all children be offered equal education regardless of parent's wealth?
Universities should selecet on academic results alone - not on social/economic background
colourfulcrissi
Rep:
?
(Original post by JAKstriked)
Go to Communist Russia. If people want to pay for better education, then let them. The real question that should be raised is why state education is seemingly so bad that people feel the need to pay thousands a term for private scools.
It is said that you should take the best candidate for the job, that's how decision should be made, non?
But you cannot tell who is the best candidate if people haven't been allowed to reach their potential because of the circumstances they have grown up in. Society's order should be founded upon ability so the best lead and by giving all an equal education no-one is denied an education.
IWantSomeMushu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Preference*?
Lindsey123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think it is, because it's not dicrimination to increase the numbers of state school students going to university, it's favouritism based on the conditions in which they had to work and therefore perhaps are more likely to succeed at that university. Its taking into account the context of the achievment.
I suppose so. So what would be the point of favouring state school pupils? So that they are more likely to be able to go to better Universities?

Within state schools the quality of education probably varies as much as between private and state education.
colourfulcrissi
Rep:
?
(Original post by WEB)
Universities should selecet on academic results alone - not on social/economic background or extra-cirriculars either for that matter.
Really?
But what if someone has been able to manage their time spectacularly achieving high results AND doing extra-curricula, surely they would be better prepared form Medicine than someone who just sits at home...
Taking doctors as an example, do the cleverest doctors always make the best doctors?
colourfulcrissi
Rep:
?
(Original post by sandeep90)
Preference*?
*Prevalence
Afrotortina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If I was the uni, I would offer it on the grades: If the grades required were AAB and the state school student was predicted AAA and the private school student AAC, then the state school student should get it, and vice versa....

If they are both predicted the same... Isn't it like uni's having to have a certain amount of males/females/ people with different skin colours/ disabilities?? Sometimes I wonder if it's gone a bit far, like a slippery slope.
ish90an
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It is said that you should take the best candidate for the job, that's how decision should be made, non?
But you cannot tell who is the best candidate if people haven't been allowed to reach their potential because of the circumstances they have grown up in. Society's order should be founded upon ability so the best lead and by giving all an equal education no-one is denied an education.
A very dangerous argument to make. What about state school kids who come from harmonious families vs those who don't? What about kids who come from poorer families and aren't able to get the support at home they would otherwise? Life isn't fair, people have to deal with it.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.76%
Excited (122)
8.19%
Worried (279)
18.74%
Terrified (343)
23.04%
Meh (123)
8.26%
Confused (35)
2.35%