Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    People,

I was offered a place at all the unis I had on my UCAS form. However, I dont really see myself studying outside London, and was wondering if you kind people could help me choose between the following TWO offers I am considering for 1st place.

Queen Mary - ABB

Kings College London - AAB

(Im predicted 3 A's, and am pretty sure Ill get 2 of them)

QM got a 5* in the RAE, and they had organised an excellent open day. Kings does seems to have the slightly better global rep, but they only managed a 5 on the RAE, and had "organised" the worst open day in history. Ugly people, bad food and rude Prof's. Also, Kings is on the Strand, Queen Mary is on Mile End (less attractive).

I was wondering if any of you had some information not in their prospectuses (nearest chip shop, etc.)

Cheers,

W

ReputationRep:
    KCL often hits top 20 in the UK overall. QMW...doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose KCL, by a good margin.

ReputationRep:
    sorry but QM is no way as good as King's. which other unis did u apply to out of london? i'm sure they're all probs better than QM and Kings....u sure u wanna stick to either one of these 2?

ReputationRep:
    not been there but apparently queen mary is not the most attractive university, kings is nicer, better location, better reputation.

I'd say kings

ReputationRep:
    Definatley Kings for Law

ReputationRep:
    OK the poll is pretty agreeing with KCL.

ReputationRep:
    RAE scores aren't particularly relevant to undergraduates.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the responses.

I also have offers from Nottingham, Bristol, Warwick and Durham. I realise some may regard these Uni's as better than either KCL or QMUL, but I very much wish to study law in London (legal capital and all that). Perhaps I should have applied to UCL, but cant do anything about that now.

Regarding the seemingly problematic "cultural diversity" issue. I'm currently attending a staunchly conservative public school. HOWEVER, I think I might actually enjoy the whole urban grit thing QM has going on in and around it. As you may have imagined, I havent come across many ethnic minorities up to now, and think it might be enlightening.

Also: I've been to QM and the campus is incredibly nice... Kings clearly has the upper hand on location (Strand, Thames and all that).

What I would like people in the forum to tell me is: I) If you've been there for any amount of time - is the east end liveable, are the students and teachers friendly or approachable? II) What do you think employers would prefer: A 2.1 from Kings or Queen Mary? III) Generally, what is it like being a student at either of these Uni's?

Thanks again for all your help in this matter.

Regards,

Will

ReputationRep:
    the comment about qm having too many asians is just plain offensive and i'm glad william dismissed it.

i did law at lse. king's was just round the corner and i had friends at both kcl and qm. so my thoughts:

in terms of multiculturalism: both are very.
    reputation with law firms: kcl.
    quality of law departments: both are good.
    location: qm campus at mile end is NOT grotty, it's very nice in fact. kcl at strand not much of a campus. buildings not v nice. BUT mile end is a bit of a trek from central london.

ReputationRep:
    What I would like people in the forum to tell me is: I) If you've been there for any amount of time - is the east end liveable, are the students and teachers friendly or approachable? II) What do you think employers would prefer: A 2.1 from Kings or Queen Mary? III) Generally, what is it like being a student at either of these Uni's?

well...........i don't live far from Mile End........and many of my friends study at QM.......and it's a pretty dodgy 'crap' area! and employers would definitely prefer a 2.1 from Kings no doubt.

ReputationRep:

also...having seen Kings, and UCL.........King's is much nicer. I was surprised, i even prefered it to LSE. King's campus is scattered around in really nice areas.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Ye of Little Faith in the East End,

Your all so very wrong, allow me to explain:

Queen Mary is undoubtedly the better law school. Kings is over the hill and rapidly joining the legions of second-rate, bankrupt and irrelevant UK law faculties. QM now receives more applications per place, spends more per student, and is just plain better.

Most importantly it received a "5 star" in the recent RAE. This means its faculty (along with only 8 others in the UK), your potential teachers, mentors, Yoda's are officially regarded as internationally renowned scholars. Most have attended Oxbridge, others Harvard – all have an interesting tale. Kings used to be 5 star school, it used to be able to boast it was one of London's 3 top school. Every open day, brochure, recruitment talk, or email contained the sacred RAE assessment. They even offered one module to 3rd years: "Law of the RAE". However, thanks to an impartial, government endorsed, detailed and extensive assessment this is over.

The NEW UNOFFICIAL LONDON LAW RANKING - according to H.M. Higher Education Funding Council:

Premier League:
    1 - UCL
    2 - LSE
    3 - QMUL
    ==================
    Spanish Fourth League Sponsored by Daewoo Spain
    4 - KCL
    5 - Westminster

Although I can begrudgingly concede that, at the moment, a 2.1 from KCL may be slightly more attractive to employers than one from QM this wont last the next 3 years. Unlike Kings, Queen Mary, University of London, has a future.

Also: I know most people with a 2.1 from QM get super jobs afterwards. My fellow grads have training contracts (jobs) at Freshfields, CMS, Norton Rose and the like.

Cheers,

DSEWELL, LLB (Lond.)

Ps - I should probably mention the fact that I graduated from Queen Mary, University of London last summer.

PPs - London's East End is fantastic. Not only can you get the best Chicken Korma west of New Delhi, where could one better read law than where it most often tested/broken?

QM is good because it gives EE offers

kings's strong points do appear to be medicine and law though, is it known for anything else?

ReputationRep:
    EE offer is outstanding! Normally they dont give those out - If you got one count yourself lucky...

(Original post by dsewell)
    EE offer is outstanding! Normally they dont give those out - If you got one count yourself lucky...
    nah i didn't apply there or for law in general just i know like 6 or 7 people who did get that offer, i don't think any of them went to qm though, ah well

ReputationRep:
    I went to QM last year, and IMO, it's a very diverse, and also very modern it's also a campus university, which is always good

There is also high calibur of international students especially in my course,for example, a guaduate from a top uni' in china doing a MEng degree

The east end is relatively safe, i didn't experience any problems, tho the area could be better........ :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    QM is good because it gives EE offers

kings's strong points do appear to be medicine and law though, is it known for anything else?

It's pretty decent fot history.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy and most social sciences are pretty good at King's.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.