The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llacerta
Almost always. It's possible to stay living in halls in second year, but that's usually due to other circumstances (e.g. having a disability or some other reason for staying in halls). There's also the opportunity to be part of residential support, so you live in halls and basically keep an eye on the other students living there, that sort of thing.

I think it's much more fun and interesting to live in a house in second year, though. :biggrin: (Says she, sitting in her new house all by herself! Haha.)

Ahh cool, thanks :smile: Is there houses quite nearby then? And with houses do you tend to be on campus more/less?
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 721
Original post by jokerofthepack
Ahh cool, thanks :smile: Is there houses quite nearby then? And with houses do you tend to be on campus more/less?

Shedloads. Literally, one of the things that actually attracted me to Royal Holloway was the sheer amount of student accommodation within fifteen minutes of the university. I'm a ten minute walk, myself, and five minutes to Egham town centre, so it's really convenient.

Um, well I can't speak from experience just yet (having only just moved into my house!) but of course if you live in halls you're going to be on campus more, as most of the halls are located on campus (unless you live in Kingswood, or Penrose Court...there may be one or two others that I'm forgetting about). But speaking to my friends, it seems as though we're going to make quite a bit of effort to stay on campus through the day this year, as even though our houses aren't far from campus, it's a bit of a pain to keep going back and forth. So the plan is, on a day when we might have a lecture in the morning, for example, we'll try and stay on campus through lunch and into the afternoon too, going to the library and stuff like that. In theory, then, we're going to be much more productive. :biggrin:

But we'll see how long that lasts...Haha.
humm... one question...

is there any way to notify the uni of specific preferences accomodation wise?

i have this weird thing where i have to have my own bathroom... i physically cant go to public ones i get too anxious :/ i could possibly get a doc's note if it helps (although only my parents really know about it, i dont tend to share it)

im going to try and apply asap, and also im auditioning for the choir of royal holloway scholarship, which apparantly is first choice. but it makes me very anxious thinking that theres a slight possibility :/

thanks for answering...

p.s im in year 12 so im going to be doing all this next year haha. RHUL definately will be my firm if i get in!
Reply 723
Bathrooom: don't think there iis an option on the form but a doctor's note saying you have a serious enough mental reason.
but almost every hall is ensuite. I put in a medical note in for something different and somehow came out with priority for ensuite...which means nothing as most are.
Original post by gm15
Bathrooom: don't think there iis an option on the form but a doctor's note saying you have a serious enough mental reason.
but almost every hall is ensuite. I put in a medical note in for something different and somehow came out with priority for ensuite...which means nothing as most are.

ok.. thankyou. ill probably get my mum to go to the docs with me then so she can explain hehe :P

thankyou
unless you're an absolute shut-in your hall choice shouldn't massively affect your ability to wreck your liver :smile:
Reply 726
Ive got an unconditional offer, and am now looking through the various accommodations. At the moment, Im thinking of applying for Butler/Williamson/Tuke. Please can someone tell me if there is any difference between these 3 and Gowar/Wedderburn? Thanks
Reply 727
Original post by Hfox
Ive got an unconditional offer, and am now looking through the various accommodations. At the moment, Im thinking of applying for Butler/Williamson/Tuke. Please can someone tell me if there is any difference between these 3 and Gowar/Wedderburn? Thanks

No difference between WTB (WILLIAMSON ETC) and WG. The flats are the same (same layout same number of rooms, same decor) as far as i know. I've not been in a WTB ensuite but i'd think they must be 99% the same. WTB are newer but most if not all differences are on the outside (and you won't be spending your time staring at the outside) or slightly different decor/fititngs in the hallways.
Reply 728
Original post by Hfox

As gm15 said, there's no major difference. WTB is a bit newer and shinier, but the interior layout and design is identical. I've not been in a WTB en-suite, but the rooms and kitchens are the same.

Wedderburn and Gowar are an extra 5 minute walk, and it's a bit of a hill you have to walk up to get to the rest of campus. WTB is also right next to The Hub (which is where your post room will be). A minor niggle, of course, but for that reason I'd put WTB over WG.

I've been into a friend's flat at another university and was slightly creeped out when the interior was IDENTICAL to my flat in Wedderburn. Apparently it's the same at loads of unis, as there are a few companies they all use.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 729
Original post by Hfox

I agree with both gm15 and lareneg that there basically is no difference between BTW and GW- aside from one thing that lareneg touched upon: the fact that BTW are next to the Hub rather than up a little hill. The hill itself is not an issue for GW residents, it really is a short walk, but as someone who lived in Tuke last year and who had many friends in Wedderburn, it would appear that BTW tend to be noisier, have more things going on directly outside, etc., than GW, which is more surrounded by trees and nice stuff. For example, I still have a rather fond memory of sitting on my desk, peering out my bedroom window as people rode trolleys down the hill outside BTW at 3 in the morning...GW just generally seems a bit quieter because it's not in such a 'central' location. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on what you're looking for, and of course it doesn't mean that people aren't going to be having rave-ups in GW. It just means that GW tends to be a little quieter and less in the midst of everything (from my own and my friends' experiences, anyway). It's only a very minor thing to consider.
Reply 730
Thanks for all of your responses, very helpful as I was only shown Tuke, so find it difficult to make a decision between them all. Do any of the accommodation blocks have common rooms?:smile:
soo, returning undergrad accomodation opens tomorrow, anyone else applying? what are you going for?
Reply 732
Original post by toastehmonstah
soo, returning undergrad accomodation opens tomorrow, anyone else applying? what are you going for?

I am: my order of choices is Founder's, Reid, Runnymede, and then the newer halls. How about you?
i think my choice is the exact opposite tbh, wtb/gw, runnymede, reid then founders. obviously i have no desire to be anywhere near KW :P
Reply 734
i think my choice is the exact opposite tbh, wtb/gw, runnymede, reid then founders. obviously i have no desire to be anywhere near KW :P

That's fair enough, I can understand why you want to go for the newer halls. I really enjoyed living in Tuke last year! I guess I just want a change.

Also, (I'm guessing you've applied by now)- forgive me if you know this already, but you can figure out your place on the waiting list by looking at the reference number at the top of the email. It should start 50...Apparently 50401 is the 'first' number, so for example mine is 50509, meaning that I'm 109th on the list. I've compared numbers with quite a few people now so we think that's how the system works, though of course it's not for certain, and of course where you get depends on popularity of certain halls, etc. But it's nice to have an idea, at least!
That's fair enough, I can understand why you want to go for the newer halls. I really enjoyed living in Tuke last year! I guess I just want a change.

Also, (I'm guessing you've applied by now)- forgive me if you know this already, but you can figure out your place on the waiting list by looking at the reference number at the top of the email. It should start 50...Apparently 50401 is the 'first' number, so for example mine is 50509, meaning that I'm 109th on the list. I've compared numbers with quite a few people now so we think that's how the system works, though of course it's not for certain, and of course where you get depends on popularity of certain halls, etc. But it's nice to have an idea, at least!

I couldn't stand moving all my crap home at the end of every term in Founders, plus I wanted a change from sharing a room, shower and fixed mealtimes :P I'm 50462, which is pretty good but i'm impressed ~60 other people managed to fill in their applications faster than me :P
Reply 736
I couldn't stand moving all my crap home at the end of every term in Founders, plus I wanted a change from sharing a room, shower and fixed mealtimes :P I'm 50462, which is pretty good but i'm impressed ~60 other people managed to fill in their applications faster than me :P

My plan is just to pay extra and move into holiday accommodation if I get somewhere with a 30 week let (or alternatively I might stay at a friend's if they don't mind). I had a 30 week let last year in Tuke so I know the feeling of having to move out. However, it's the cheapness of the 30 week lets that's appealing at the moment! And as returners we can't get shared rooms in Founder's, so that's something- and I hardly cook as it is so hopefully food being readily available will encourage me to eat once in a while!

Yeah, it seems like people were pretty fast with their applications, haha. I know someone who's fifth on the list! Apparently for some people, if you check your choices, one will be blanked out- the one that you've been assigned (though this isn't the case for everyone yet; it appears they're working their way through the list).

To be honest, I'll be pretty happy whatever I get, as long as I have a room somewhere. My higher choices would be better for me, of course, but just knowing I have somewhere to live would be nice...I am applying to be an RSA just in case, haha.
My plan is just to pay extra and move into holiday accommodation if I get somewhere with a 30 week let (or alternatively I might stay at a friend's if they don't mind). I had a 30 week let last year in Tuke so I know the feeling of having to move out. However, it's the cheapness of the 30 week lets that's appealing at the moment! And as returners we can't get shared rooms in Founder's, so that's something- and I hardly cook as it is so hopefully food being readily available will encourage me to eat once in a while!

Yeah, it seems like people were pretty fast with their applications, haha. I know someone who's fifth on the list! Apparently for some people, if you check your choices, one will be blanked out- the one that you've been assigned (though this isn't the case for everyone yet; it appears they're working their way through the list).

To be honest, I'll be pretty happy whatever I get, as long as I have a room somewhere. My higher choices would be better for me, of course, but just knowing I have somewhere to live would be nice...I am applying to be an RSA just in case, haha.

ooh, in that case I got Gowar/Wedderburn :biggrin: do you know when offers tend to get made to us?
Reply 738
ooh, in that case I got Gowar/Wedderburn :biggrin: do you know when offers tend to get made to us?

Yaaay! Looks like I've got Reid. :biggrin: Well, (as I'm sure you know by now) the lists have gone up, so I know I've definitely got a room, as I'm sure you do. Apparently we get sent our official offers on 12th March.
Yaaay! Looks like I've got Reid. :biggrin: Well, (as I'm sure you know by now) the lists have gone up, so I know I've definitely got a room, as I'm sure you do. Apparently we get sent our official offers on 12th March.

where are the waiting lists? all the crap on the page i found is out of date :C (http://www.rhul.ac.uk/forstudents/housing/royalhollowayhalls/waitinglists.aspx)

Latest

Trending

Trending