Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fonzievision)
    That is too true.. for me anyway..
    i've found it to be true with most men! even the grungey ones. i'd describe my bf's look as...slightly indie maybe. i stand out a million miles from all his girl friends who wear baggie jeans and dirty trainers but even though they dress more like him, he loves my skirts and little shoes and pretty clothes! just goes to show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VVV1)
    Most people dont even realise what they are putting on in the morning because they are so hammered from the night before. From my experience it was VERY casual. Some of the girls dressed up for lectures and lets just say they took a bit of abuse. Most people just wear jeans and jumpers or tops.
    Ha. That is a bit harsh that people had a go at them though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    Lol, same here, I'm quite proud of the fact that I can make myself look half human with some decent clothes and a spot of make-up even after being completely blotto the night before.

If I get abuse I'll just kick the abusers with a carefully chosen pair of heels.
    or just get one of your devoted male admirers to do it for you . wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good pair of shoes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    Lol, same here, I'm quite proud of the fact that I can make myself look half human with some decent clothes and a spot of make-up even after being completely blotto the night before.

If I get abuse I'll just kick the abusers with a carefully chosen pair of heels.
    You probably won't just for dressing up. But you might if you go around looking down at people who don't care about their appearances quite as much as you. There was me thinking university was about getting an education :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I like to make myself look decent too so if anyone abuses me for putting on a bit of mascara and not wearing sweatshirts and jeans they can go f**k themselves for all I care.

I guess they might be jealous?Lol.

Seriously,I have seen some of the students in my city....they look like tramps,lol.I mean,fair enough but the least they could do is wash their hair or something,seriously!

Maybe the people dressing up for lectures were REALLY dressing up or perhaps they usually dressed quite casually but suddenly started dressing up for lectures?

I'm just going to wear what I want and if people don't like it I don't care!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyglitter)
    I like to make myself look decent too so if anyone abuses me for putting on a bit of mascara and not wearing sweatshirts and jeans they can go f**k themselves for all I care.

Seriously,I have seen some of the students in my city....they look like tramps,lol.I mean,fair enough but the least they could do is wash their hair or something,seriously!

Maybe the people dressing up for lectures were REALLY dressing up or perhaps they usually dressed quite casually but suddenly started dressing up for lectures?

You go girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyglitter)

I'd never actually have a go at someone for dressing up/putting on makeup for lectures, but if I did it wouldn't be because I was jealous.
    There are several steps between dressing up and doing makeup etc, and not bothering to wash! Most students I know can cope with the latter, but just wear ordinary clothes for lectures, and minimal makeup if any. If someone has a problem with me not wanting to look fake every day, it's theirs not mine.
    That's exactly what they're doing too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I asked not because I am obsessed with my appearance but because I am sadly lacking in the clothes department. One disadvantage of going to a public school is I wore suits all the time, and now I have left I find a distinct lack of suitable clothing.I have enough for a week if I were to change every day, but a few more clothes are needed. I expect it depends on which Uni you go to, at some people will take more pride in their appearance. I for one couldn't bear showing my face with greasy hair and a creased shirt.
    I will probably just wear my wool jumpers and miss out on the cashmere with a nice shirt and chinos or jeans with trainers/loafers. Do laundries have irons or do you have to go somewhere else?

Regards,
    CW Esq

ReputationRep:
    CW, I could help you better if I knew where you were going to uni -- especially if it's London...

ReputationRep:
    Exeter fingers-crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CW Esq)
    I asked not because I am obsessed with my appearance but because I am sadly lacking in the clothes department. One disadvantage of going to a public school is I wore suits all the time, and now I have left I find a distinct lack of suitable clothing.I have enough for a week if I were to change every day, but a few more clothes are needed. I expect it depends on which Uni you go to, at some people will take more pride in their appearance. I for one couldn't bear showing my face with greasy hair and a creased shirt.
    I will probably just wear my wool jumpers and miss out on the cashmere with a nice shirt and chinos or jeans with trainers/loafers. Do laundries have irons or do you have to go somewhere else?

Regards,
    CW Esq
    Same problem here. I went to a private school and had to wear clothes which were 'suitable for the workplace'. Although I did break the rules occasionally with heels which were actually deemed to be of an 'unhealthy height' and some rather flamboyant mixing and matching of skirts and jackets.

Most of my skirts are all floaty, which could be a problem seeing as I'll be living right next to the sea. I might end up becoming a serial flasher if the wind gets up

ReputationRep:

Regards,
    CW Esq
    Then don't show your face with greasy hair and a creased shirt..from my experience i really didnt see many scruffballs..just normal ya know....people seem to equate students with greasy scruffs.

Depends on the uni for the irons.....most of them you have to take your own. In the laundry room there will be some washers and dryers but you'd have to iron in your flat. But then at Leicester when staying at a friends they had a communal iron. Better to take your own though.

ReputationRep:
    im going to be wearing what i always wear, watever i like! im used to getting abuse for wat i wear n how i look so im not right fussed. same old same old

ReputationRep:
    lol tough being a girl. all a guy needs to do is buy a couple of pairs of expensive jeans, some cool tees and tops, then shove any of them on for a lecture and can look cool without dressing up

ReputationRep:
    i no guys have it so easy. dnt get me started on guys easy hair days

ReputationRep:

Regards,
    CW Esq
    just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. and don't be creased or greasy if it doesn't suit you (as, indeed, it doesn't suit many people). you don't really need to worry about it, though. it's true that there are some people for whom nothing is as important as looking good/fashionable/exactly like everyone else, but i doubt that the entire student-body of exeter is going to look at you and go "ooh. that is not the way to dress at university."

ReputationRep:
    Don't need clothes to feel good, I don't see why I should start dressing stylish for my lectures, and when I am staying in my hall there is no way I am going to start dressing up just to go down to the bathroom.
    I am what I am not how I want to look

Obviously when it comes to outgoings I dress up decently, it's part of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    If someone has a problem with me not wanting to look fake every day, it's theirs not mine.
    I can't see why wearing makeup and dressing nicely constitutes 'looking fake every day'.

If I feel confident about my appearence, then I feel confident about myself and abilities in general. In contrast, if I feel terrible about myself, then I feel terrible in general.

Unfortunately, I usually feel confident about my appearance when I have a bit of makeup on, and am wearing a flattering outfit (ie. not an old t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms/the jeans I have owned since I was 15 and only wear when I have PMS because they are comfy!). I think its because of the culture at my sixth form; it felt like almost everyone made an effort, and now if I don't wear makeup and so on, I feel weird! That's just the way it is where I live.

I'm not saying that everyone should get dressed up and be as conscious about their looks as I am, because frankly, I wish I wasn't. However, I don't think that dressing up is always an issue of trying to be something you're not, or trying to impress the right people. When I get ready to go out, I do it for me and my confidence, not for everyone around me.

I hope I haven't completely misconstrued your post

ReputationRep:
    I would keep the cashmere, Exeter is a posh university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    I can't see why wearing makeup and dressing nicely constitutes 'looking fake every day'.

If I feel confident about my appearence, then I feel confident about myself and abilities in general. In contrast, if I feel terrible about myself, then I feel terrible in general.

Unfortunately, I usually feel confident about my appearance when I have a bit of makeup on, and am wearing a flattering outfit (ie. not an old t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms/the jeans I have owned since I was 15 and only wear when I have PMS because they are comfy!). I think its because of the culture at my sixth form; it felt like almost everyone made an effort, and now if I don't wear makeup and so on, I feel weird! That's just the way it is where I live.

I'm not saying that everyone should get dressed up and be as conscious about their looks as I am, because frankly, I wish I wasn't. However, I don't think that dressing up is always an issue of trying to be something you're not, or trying to impress the right people. When I get ready to go out, I do it for me and my confidence, not for everyone around me.

I hope I haven't completely misconstrued your post
    Not really - if I were to wear makeup every day I would feel fake, because that's not me. And nearly all the other girls in my year at school did wear it, I just saw no point because I would never compare with them anyway. I have more confidence now, but apart from going somewhere nice I don't feel the need to wear makeup - it's not like I look hideous without it, so if people choose to judge me on my not wearing it, it's their problem.

I've never had a go at anyone at uni for what they wear - and most people aren't horrid greaseballs who've forgotten where the shower is, or wearing their PMS pyjamas - just normal people in ordinary clothes. The closest I've come is laughing at a couple of the New Hall (all-girls' college) girls last year - who would come to dissection sessions in miniskirts and knee high boots. I didn't get that at all :confused:

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.