Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by CW Esq)
    If all goes well I will be at University this October and it will be simply marvellous! I am a man who takes price in his appearance and I would like to know what sorts of clothes people wear at University. I have a penchant for Jermyn Street shirts but I don't want to spend so much on clothes that I end up eating baked beans, nor do I want to end up dressing in the economy range from Topman. I am also curious as to how often most people wash their clothes and if they iron them (I am able to do this ladies!) or just don't bother and walk around like dishevelled tramps.

This is my first post so please treat me gently
    Regards,
    CW Esq
    Why not just take all of the clothes you already own to university with you. Problem solved. You can carry on wearing your expensive clothes and with the money saved buy regluar beans rather than those value ones. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Not really - if I were to wear makeup every day I would feel fake, because that's not me. And nearly all the other girls in my year at school did wear it, I just saw no point because I would never compare with them anyway. I have more confidence now, but apart from going somewhere nice I don't feel the need to wear makeup - it's not like I look hideous without it, so if people choose to judge me on my not wearing it, it's their problem.

I've never had a go at anyone at uni for what they wear - and most people aren't horrid greaseballs who've forgotten where the shower is, or wearing their PMS pyjamas - just normal people in ordinary clothes. The closest I've come is laughing at a couple of the New Hall (all-girls' college) girls last year - who would come to dissection sessions in miniskirts and knee high boots. I didn't get that at all :confused:
    Regarding your first point, I just think judging people on their looks is a bit stupid in general. If someone wants to wear loads of makeup, then fine, but its equally fine if someone doesn't want to wear any at all. Its all down to individual preference.

For example, I can't quite understand why Jordan and Jodie Marsh wear as much makeup as they do, but if they like wearing it, more power to them! Its strange, because I would feel fake if I didn't wear makeup. Its just who I am, I like experimenting with it and its something I enjoy. So I agree, if anyone wants to judge me based on my makeup use and love of fashion, then that's their problem

I don't assume that there are loads of students wandering around in their PMS clothes or putting off washing, that's just crazy! I imagine that university will be a bit like school in a sense, with some girls who do like experimenting with fashion, and others who prefer to wear a nice t-shirt and some jeans.

As for the girls who wore mini's and knee high boots to a dissection, I wonder if their boots were high-heeled? If so, that's surely some kind of health and safety issue!? If not, well let them get on with it. They obviously like looking that way, even if you and almost everyone else thinks they look ridiculous! Some people just like dressing up, even at strange times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    As for the girls who wore mini's and knee high boots to a dissection, I wonder if their boots were high-heeled? If so, that's surely some kind of health and safety issue!? If not, well let them get on with it. They obviously like looking that way, even if you and almost everyone else thinks they look ridiculous! Some people just like dressing up, even at strange times
    They were - proper spiky heels even though it's quite slippery. And flip flops in the summer - and there are things on the floor of that room that you do NOT want to think about. Plus your lab coat covers all your clothes anyway so who cares what you're wearing!

Regarding your first point, I just think judging people on their looks is a bit stupid in general. If someone wants to wear loads of makeup, then fine, but its equally fine if someone doesn't want to wear any at all. Its all down to individual preference.
    Oh yes, that's fine - it just annoys me when people (as some have in this thread) make out like anyone who doesn't "make an effort" as they do is a lazy minger (paraphrasing, but the general impression)

I don't assume that there are loads of students wandering around in their PMS clothes or putting off washing, that's just crazy! I imagine that university will be a bit like school in a sense, with some girls who do like experimenting with fashion, and others who prefer to wear a nice t-shirt and some jeans.
    Seems there's quite an impression round here that students are all yukky grungers but it's as you say - most of us are normal. Plus nice clothes/shoes and makeup are less practical when you have to cycle in the rain There are still people experimenting, but a lot more people have found their style/what they're comfortable in, and do things their way rather than trying to make a "statement." I like it that way

ReputationRep:
    They were - proper spiky heels even though it's quite slippery. And flip flops in the summer - and there are things on the floor of that room that you do NOT want to think about.
    :puke:
    urgh... I have a horribly vivid imagination.

ReputationRep:
    They were - proper spiky heels even though it's quite slippery. And flip flops in the summer - and there are things on the floor of that room that you do NOT want to think about. Plus your lab coat covers all your clothes anyway so who cares what you're wearing!
    That's just weird! I was going to say, I once wore a denim mini and some flat Ugg boots to a kidney dissection for A2 biology, but I didn't know we were going to dissect anything that day, unlike those girls who I imagine must have known what they'd have been doing. Heels during a dissection just sounds stupid, what if they'd been holding something sharp and slipped over?!

There are still people experimenting, but a lot more people have found their style/what they're comfortable in, and do things their way rather than trying to make a "statement." I like it that way
    Haha, yes, 'making a statement'. There were loads of girls like that at my sixth form who did crazy things with their clothes like wearing leopard print leggings underneath skirts, and some who declared publicly that they refuse to shop in places like Bay Trading and New Look. Fair enough, but when you're only doing it to draw attention to yourself as opposed to dressing how you feel comfortable, you start to look a bit ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    That's just weird! I was going to say, I once wore a denim mini and some flat Ugg boots to a kidney dissection for A2 biology, but I didn't know we were going to dissect anything that day, unlike those girls who I imagine must have known what they'd have been doing. Heels during a dissection just sounds stupid, what if they'd been holding something sharp and slipped over?!
    This is full body, human dissection :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    Oh great, I'm going to be abused for what I wear. I don't even own a pair of jeans or anything that could possibly be regarded as 'studenty'. I'm a skirt and fantastic shoes type girl.

Sorry - that came out a bit wrong. Obviously you should wear what you feel comfortable in but in my experience the majority of people went casual. Dint mean to offend or upset you. :shakehand

ReputationRep:
    This is full body, human dissection :eek:
    I thought medics were supposed to have a bit of common sense :rolleyes:

I'm a jeans and flat boots kinda girl, I usually wear jumpers or t-shirts with them and a nice pair of earrings. That's not too dressy is it? Because of my height I can't get away with heels unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    How tall are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    How tall are you?
    5ft10

ReputationRep:
    eep! I can feel a bit tall with heels on at 5'8"!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    eep! I can feel a bit tall with heels on at 5'8"!
    Exactly Shopping for trousers is a nightmare! It's not to say that I don't own heels, however the flat shoes on the market at the moment are all horrible, there are some nice ones with a tiny heel but even then I feel self conscious.

ReputationRep:
    ah you shouldnt, you should embrace your height many would love to be as tall.
    I think there a lot of nice flat shoes on the market atm!

ReputationRep:
    id love to be that tall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soapysudds1)
    id love to be that tall!
    Try towering over a lot men without wearing heels, I'm told it can be quite intimidating lol.

ReputationRep:
    My thread appears to have been a little sidetracked. How often will a dinner jacket be used. I was thinking of getting one from Gieves, but at £550 I wouldn't want it damaged or covered in sick. I think I may just get one from M and S that I can damage. How many balls are held a year at a Uni like Exeter?

ReputationRep:
    Oh give it up, anything you don't have you can buy. Exeter has shops you know.. Yes, even M&S.

I will be firmly in the girly camp at University...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CW Esq)
    My thread appears to have been a little sidetracked. How often will a dinner jacket be used. I was thinking of getting one from Gieves, but at £550 I wouldn't want it damaged or covered in sick. I think I may just get one from M and S that I can damage. How many balls are held a year at a Uni like Exeter?
    Check their website, alternatively I think there's an Exeter subforum.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should leave buying clothes til your in the uni. That way you wont buy something that you wont wear and be able to see what everyone else wears. Most guys just wear some black trousers and a nice shirt for evenings. No jacket or tie.

ReputationRep:
    ooo im not a fan of tht look on blokes! men belong in jeans and trainers!! looking ruggedly sexy lol. but glorys right bout waitin till u get to uni cos then ull no whether its a rainy city, a sunny city etc!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.