Clothes Watch

This discussion is closed.
Glory
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dont wanna sound nasty, but if you go in 500 pound suits just for lectures and tutorials. Your gonna get labelled as a toff and snob and find it incredably hard to make friends.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by twiga)
I thought medics were supposed to have a bit of common sense :rolleyes:

I'm a jeans and flat boots kinda girl, I usually wear jumpers or t-shirts with them and a nice pair of earrings. That's not too dressy is it? Because of my height I can't get away with heels unfortunately
We are, apparently. That's why I found it funny

CW Esq - if you have money to burn, buy an expensive dinner suit if you want to. Most likely nobody but you will know the difference so it's debateable whether there's any point. I doubt you'll have more than a couple of occasions a year to wear it at (I'm at Cambridge and only have 2/3 black tie parties/dinners a year, aside from Boat Club ones).
CW Esq
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I don't really have money to burn but I think I will buy myself a mid-end DJ. Surely it is possible to tell a decent DJ from a cheap one. To the other poster I wasn't intending on wearing suits to lectures, but maybe to receptions etc. The most formal I will get will probably be my tweed, but I expect I will be beaten if I wore it.
spider from mars
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I definitely need new clothes before uni. I seem to have none. We had a uniform at my 6th form (catholics and their love of rules!), which was fantastic because I didnt need to think about what to wear. Just a white shirt and then assorted pieces of black. But now I actually need clothes. Besides I reckon Mum will buy me some if I go shopping with her before I go. Woohoo! Theres nothing quite like sponging of the folks. I'll be sad when this gravy-train finally terminates.
spider from mars
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Btw I definitely couldnt tell an expensive jacket from a cheap one. That kind of thing is meaningless to me. But I guess it depends on the sort of people you'll be hanging around with.
Glory
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
knowing uni students the only thing they can tell the difference between is beer. I really dont think anyone will be paying attention to whether its a cheap one or not.
Mittal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I always were my suits and ties, its almost a part of me, it depends what you're comfortable in.

Btw, I find it very necesary that girls were the clothes which are made for them (mini-skirts, blouse ..) and men were what is made for them (jeans, t-shirts, jumpers...)

*This post should be useful for everyone in this thread whom is human, is male/female and does were clothes.* :tsr:
CW Esq
Rep:
?
What are people's view on tweed with a checked shirt and a red silk handkercheif protruding from the breast pocket?
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CW Esq)
What are people's view on tweed with a checked shirt and a red silk handkercheif protruding from the breast pocket?
ummm... a bit clichéd? (i don't mean that offensively, it just kind of would be).
ninevah
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
i agree with it being a bit clichéd but i doubt you'll be wearing an outfit like that that often ... so wear what you want. if you're going somewhere or attending a formal event where you need look smart go for it. i think it's sexy.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CW Esq)
My view is: troll. You know exactly what would happen if you wore that to lectures.

I don't really have money to burn but I think I will buy myself a mid-end DJ. Surely it is possible to tell a decent DJ from a cheap one.
How would you tell? As long as it's not so cheap it's shiny, and as long as it's a proper dinner jacket and not a suit one, I'm sure I couldn't.
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not the checked shirt, and I'm not sure about the red handkerchief, but I'm liking the tweed.
Soapysudds1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
its all about the tweed this season baby!
CW Esq
Rep:
?
Exactly. Tweed has a reputation for being old fashioned but it can look rather dashing. Just need to wear it sparingly though! Pip pip
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not as dashing as cavalier hats, but that's another story.
Soapysudds1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i may have to sport some tweed this season, cant get classier than tweed
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Soapysudds1)
i may have to sport some tweed this season, cant get classier than tweed
That would depend how you're wearing it

Actually I have one very bizarre friend who still dresses as though it's 1910. He has tonnes of Edwardian style clothes, which naturally includes a lot of tweed. Nobody thinks anything of it though - we all know he's eccentric like that and he's not trying to look "aristocratic" or whatever.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
That would depend how you're wearing it

Actually I have one very bizarre friend who still dresses as though it's 1910. He has tonnes of Edwardian style clothes, which naturally includes a lot of tweed. Nobody thinks anything of it though - we all know he's eccentric like that and he's not trying to look "aristocratic" or whatever.
:eek: was he the sherlock holmes guy on blind date night ?
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Wow.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
:eek: was he the sherlock holmes guy on blind date night ?
Yes. His account of it afterwards was hilarious. Did you know the poor girl who was subjected to it unwittingly?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads