The Student Room Group

Social Work Interview - Portsmouth - Case Study!

Hello all. :smile:

I apologise for the second post relating to social work interviews!

I have just received my interview date and pack for Social Work at Portsmouth and was wondering if any one else has an interview at Portsmouth next month too and what you made of the case study given for us to write a brief summary on?

I am really at a loss as to what they are expecting from me in regards to the case study, do I need to write pages a pages or just a paragraph or two? And should I try and do some research or just go with my gut instinct?

Another question, what on earth to wear? Business or Jeans and a smart top and cardigan?

Also if any one else is currently doing Social Work and has any inside info or advice about what to expect at the interview I would really really appreciate it!

Thank you! :smile:
I'm assuming that they want you to think about what you would do if you were the social worker dealing with the case. They won't expect loads of research, but showing some knowledge of relevant legislation would be useful.
Is your interview individual or group? Either way they will want to see that have appropriate communication skills, and demonstrating knowledge about how your experiences relate to social work would also be good.
Www.communitycare.co.uk is a good site for current issues, and the forum is useful as well.
Also, have a look at the Codes of Conduct on www.gscc.org.uk :smile:

Go for smart/casual clothes, not jeans. Trousers and a smart top would be fine.
Reply 2
Hey, I have a social work interview at portsmouth on the 24th of march, I didn't really get what we're supposed to do for the case study either but i think i'm just gonna write a few paragraphs.
Also have no idea whatsoever about what i'm going to wear :s.
Reply 3
Hey, well I've decided to go with a smart black skirt, fitted black top and a cardigan. It's smart but not too over the top, as for the case study I've literally only written one long paragraph. Unless you were actually a Social Worker I don't think there is a whole lot more you can say than half a page really, I hope that's the case any way and they're not expecting a lot more than that! I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow and fill you in. :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, the interview went well I think, fingers crossed! Every one else that was there was wearing smart clothing, no jeans or any thing like that and it was about a 25 minute interview and that was it!
Reply 5
What kind of thing did they ask you? And was it a group or individual interview? eeeek nervous but kind of excited about going next week!
Reply 6
I got accepted already! It was an individual interview, I only had one person interviewing me but he told me that usually there would be a service user in the interview as well, so expect two people to be there interviewing you. As for the questions, they were fairly standard and what you'd expect, Why do you want to do Social Work? Why do you want to come to Portsmouth? What do you know about the course? What sorts of cases have you seen in the news recently? What have those cases made you think about Social Work? How would you cope with heavy workload and placements on the course? How would you handle making a difficult decision as a Social Worker such as taking a child away from it's family? What would you do to deal with the stress and bad publicity you may receive from outside sources? What are your personal experiences of Social Work/Volunteering etc.? Do you feel prepared for the academic side of the course? And then he asked me if I had any questions for him! I think that was the majority of the questions, I know it seems like a lot but it didn't take much longer than around 30 minutes and the man that interviewed me was very nice! Goodluck I'm sure you'll do great, let me know how you get on! :smile:
Reply 7
Oh I almost forgot he also asked me what does a Social Worker do, and after his questions he asked me to talk him through the case study and my response to the case study!
Reply 8
Oh God sorry, I just remembered one other one and it was what skills and qualities do you have that would benefit you as a Social Worker?
Reply 9
THANKYOU! You're brilliant :biggrin: Well done for getting in! I'm still stressing about the case study. I've written it up then realised that i've gone into way too much detail. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when i'm writing and hate summarising lol i'm going to have to write it all out again in a shorter more simplified way :s-smilie: oops!
Reply 10
Hey, how did you get on? :smile:
Reply 11
I don't know yet, I don't think it went as well as it could have they said they'll let me know in the next two weeks :s-smilie: fingers crossed!
Reply 12
I'm sure you'll be fine, I'll have my fingers crossed for you!
Reply 13
I GOT IN! I just confirmed my unconditional offer! :biggrin: SO EXCITED! :biggrin:
sugarpop
I GOT IN! I just confirmed my unconditional offer! :biggrin: SO EXCITED! :biggrin:

Well done :biggrin:
Reply 15
Thankyou :biggrin:
Hi guys how long is the case study going to be when they take a literacy test! And what kind of questions would they ask regarding the case study
Original post by Aisha1234me
Hi guys how long is the case study going to be when they take a literacy test! And what kind of questions would they ask regarding the case study

This thread is 7 years old

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending