Do you support top up fees Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I am really depressed. because i have to reject offers from cambridge, UCL, nottingham, to go to city university in london because those threee accepted me as overseas which i can ever afford.
This is reallyy terrible beacause i got the grades and the references and all they want it moeny money money. government should do something about. it. i know many universities are underfunded. but what can i do. i now realise that i wont have the best education so what do u think??
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Well done for getting into oxford and cambridge. Quite an achievement.

I think it sucks that you can't get a grant etc to go there - can you - but if might be worth getting a loan, espescially if you plan on doing something remunerative post-university.

It's like £3000 per year extra if you are an overseas student, no?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
How come you can afford to go to London but not the other three you were offered? Surely if you're from overseas you'd have the same problem (of much higher tuition fee charges) at any UK university....? Which country are you from?

Out of interest, I went to City university for a year (I'm a UK resident but found London too expensive...!). There were loads of overseas students there and they seemed to love it. If you do end up going there, it's in a nice part of London, and the halls are really good. What course would you be doing?

It certainly seems a shame not to be able to go to those other unis though.
Gerbil
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Uni shouldn't have top up fees although alot of people who cant afford uni should be given the chance to!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What I really understand is the entire graduate tax thing. What's the point of linking it to earnings? If somebody is earning a high wage, as they are likely to having been to university, then they'll be paying 40% income tax anyway? So why tax them more? They'll pack back their fees in no time.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I was thinking the same thing as you because if the reason for top ups is because graduates get paided far more money this means the government get more from them in tax. Plus to save for the top ups they pay tax when they work so at least if top ups are introduced uk students should be able to earn more without having to pay tax on it otherwise really the top ups add up to even more e.g someone earning 3000 pounds is taxed say 500 pounds so they have 2500 pounds left to pay top up fees so they have to work longer to get the 3000 pounds needed which means they will not have as much time to study... sorry the pound sign is not working on my keyboard i have spent all my money on uni fees i cannot afford a new keyboard!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
the reson i live in london and cant afford to go to these are because i am here with my parents. they have a government job and they will leave next year. so ill have to live alone with my brother. paying the rent and everything that comes along with it. i then wont be able to pay such huge fees
toby
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I would either take a loan to pay them off.. you will probably get a well paid job after you're done anyways so paying back should not be a problem. Or I'd ask my parents to pay it.. yes, I know it sucks.. but you could take a loan from them and pay back without having to pay a couple of % more than you borrowed in the first place like you would have to do with the bank.

If you have good grades you should try to get some scholarships as well.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Don't be fooled by the government propaganda saying that any student will be able to go anywhere they wish if they have the talent. This is the introduction of the two tier university system. It will not be measured on talent, just how big a cheque you can write each year. The lower tier universities will have increased numbers and lower standards. The upper tier will create the elite.

I'm not worried about it though. I can write the cheques every year. I will go to the best university to study medicine. By the time i've been through the system it will have cost £50k.

Will anyone lend the working class students £50k?

I think not.

Visit www.stopesso.com
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Whoever wrote that they can pay the fees is, to be quite honest, a pompous prat. You may be able to go the top university but that doesn't mean that you will come out any better off than someone who goes to a lower university. With regards to fees and being able to pay them; I think that any top-up fees or 'extras' should be paid once the student has graduated and is earning more money. The more money you earn the more you pay (same percentage of salary). For example, a top-up fee of 5% of your starting wage. A graduate earning £12,000 would pay back less than a graduate earning £30,000. Money would be going back into the system and this ould create a non-elitist system as all universities would ask students to pay the same amount. I don't know if it would work but anything has got to better than what is going to happen!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (76)
17.31%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (281)
64.01%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.78%
Not yet but I might (61)
13.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise