This discussion is closed.
anon2010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
so english unis do the BSc and the scottish unis do the BN but what is the difference?

are they both degrees?
are they worth the same?
is it better to do one over the other?
also if the BN is a degree then what is the BN(honors)?

could someone help me please?
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's literally different wording on the certificate

an honours degree has more academic credit and content than an ordinary degree
anon2010
Rep:
?
(Original post by zippyRN)
it's literally different wording on the certificate

an honours degree has more academic credit and content than an ordinary degree
so a BN honours is worth more than a BSc and a BN?

im thinking in terms of further education too. like if i wanted to do a masters or phd later would one be better than the other?

thanks for the reply btw.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
An Honours degrees regardless of the exact title of the award is of greater ( by 60 Level 6 credits) value than an ordinary degree of the same title

BN,. Bnurs, BSc, BA , BMedSci in Nursing is all by the by in the grand scheme of things, in termso f initial employability it's your registration that is the issue and in terms of further study it's your grades both pre-reg and any post reg graduate or post graduate study ...
anon2010
Rep:
?
(Original post by zippyRN)
An Honours degrees regardless of the exact title of the award is of greater ( by 60 Level 6 credits) value than an ordinary degree of the same title

BN,. Bnurs, BSc, BA , BMedSci in Nursing is all by the by in the grand scheme of things, in termso f initial employability it's your registration that is the issue and in terms of further study it's your grades both pre-reg and any post reg graduate or post graduate study ...
wow that last bit sounds complicated. lol.

thanks for the reply zippy. now i know i can take either and not have to worry about qualifications for masters ect.
kmfletcher
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anon2010)
wow that last bit sounds complicated. lol.

thanks for the reply zippy. now i know i can take either and not have to worry about qualifications for masters ect.

Hi you two,

Yeah I've been having some issues about this as well, but from my research I've ascertained two mains things:

1. Hons means that you have done a research project or something similar, a huge dissertation etc etc

2. BSc (hons) and BN (hons) are the same thing as the degrees need to fulfill the standards met by the Nursing and Midwifery Council and as such neither is worse or better for entering a Masters with, however you most definitely will need the Honours with your degree for post grad
Hmullen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Scottish university actually do BSC not BN
username1842595
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Here, in Scotland, a BN in Nursing is a 3 year ordinary degree course and a BSc Hons in Nursing is a 4 year degree course and has more academic credit than a BN. To do a BSc you would generally need higher entry requirements.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (32)
8.23%
Confident (53)
13.62%
Indifferent (56)
14.4%
Unsure (99)
25.45%
Worried (149)
38.3%

Watched Threads