Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've got to confirm my AS subject choices soon and i'm wondering whether i should do 4 or 5 subjects. my school constantly tell us to do 4 subjects, but the cleverest (in my opinion) people are doing 5. i definitely want to do 4 subjects for A2. so far i've got:
    maths
    further maths
    physics
    history

and i don't know whether to do critical thinking or another (proper) subject.
    any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's up to you really, but don't take 5 just for the sake of doing 5. If there's another subject which you REALLY want to do and are interested in, then go for it. But don't do a subject you're not particularly bothered about just because you want to do 5.

ReputationRep:
    agrees with Bex. I think it depends upon how many u can do without going crazy under the pressure.

ReputationRep:
    At my school (which is a good grammar), everyone is expected to do 4 subjects, and then General Studies (our sister school does critical thinking instead). If we want to do another, it has to be out of school time, which says something about how much time it takes to do an extra 'proper' subject.

If I were you, I'd take critical thinking, as hours-wise, it is less than a proper subject. Taking one extra AS-level can have an impact on all your others. That said, if you feel that you can manage it, it has been done before and doubtless will be done again.

ReputationRep:
    there are loads of subjects i like, but i'd be happy just doing the 4 i mentioned. will doing 5 subjects help when applying for uni (assuming i get decent grades in them)?
    i'm starting to think 4 subjects + critical thinking is the best option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreaming)
    there are loads of subjects i like, but i'd be happy just doing the 4 i mentioned. will doing 5 subjects help when applying for uni (assuming i get decent grades in them)?
    i'm starting to think 4 subjects + critical thinking is the best option.
    I don't think taking 5 subjects would really help you when it comes to applying for uni. Most universities state that they expect you to have 3 A-levels and an AS, and although they might be impressed with you taking 5, I don't think it would make any difference to whether or not you got an offer, especially because some people don't have the option and it wouldn't be fair on them. Doing 5 ASs would be a lot of work and may affect your grades. It would be better to do the standard 4 and then carry them all on to A2 if you want. As for critical thinking, that won't impress universities either and they may not even accept it as part of an offer, so only do it if you're actually interested in it, otherwise it's a waste of time you could be spending on your proper subjects.

ReputationRep:
    If you really wanted to do 5 then you could try it and always drop 1 if you were struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    If you really wanted to do 5 then you could try it and always drop 1 if you were struggling.
    :ditto: I didnt have the opportunity!!! (timetable! :mad: ) and I was the only one doing 4 AS! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say stick with the four you have - it's better to do four (three is the normal) and get good grades than muck up five because you didn't have the time to study properly for them all! I wouldn't bother with Critical Thinking, but if you start with it have the strength to quit if it gets too much!

ReputationRep:
    hmm, rather going against the grain here.. but noticed one of your definites is further maths.

at my 6th form the policy seemed to be if you did FM it was as your 5th AS.. because otherwise you effectively only have maths & 2 other subjects at AS which can narrow down your options a little & doesn't give you the flexibility to drop anything for the A2 year!

to do 5ASs the GCSEs needed at my 6th form were 7+ A*s/As.. so if you think you'd be getting in that region & there's a nother subject you fancy then i'd recommend going for it! 5 isn't that much work, especially when 2 of them are the same subject.. & you can always drop 1 if it is.

just my 2p.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, is critical thinking well-respected or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    Just out of interest, is critical thinking well-respected or not?
    I think it's seen as a slightly more worthwhile version of General Studies, ie slightly better but still not a 'proper' A-level.

ReputationRep:
    we were made to do Critical Thinking, but teacher was rubbish, no-one understood it and no-one turned up to the lessons, so they scrapped it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    hmm, rather going against the grain here.. but noticed one of your definites is further maths.

at my 6th form the policy seemed to be if you did FM it was as your 5th AS.. because otherwise you effectively only have maths & 2 other subjects at AS which can narrow down your options a little & doesn't give you the flexibility to drop anything for the A2 year!

to do 5ASs the GCSEs needed at my 6th form were 7+ A*s/As.. so if you think you'd be getting in that region & there's a nother subject you fancy then i'd recommend going for it! 5 isn't that much work, especially when 2 of them are the same subject.. & you can always drop 1 if it is.

just my 2p.
    well i know i want to keep further math and maths, so not being able to drop them (at least till feb y13) isn't a problem. you've kinda said what i was thinking about double maths being one subject and i think i've got a good chance of getting 7 a*'s/a's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I think it's seen as a slightly more worthwhile version of General Studies, ie slightly better but still not a 'proper' A-level.
    k k :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Well, firstly you've got to look at what prospects are for university - are you studying a Science related course, Maths or a Humanity? Do the subjects you could do as a 5th A-level fit into the grand scheme?

Given that you've got History, which is a time consuming subject, I would recommend that you only do the 5th AS if you are either really commited to the subject, or if you really enjoy it, and think that you can handle the extra pressure it could place upon you and your A-levels. I'm only taking a 5th A-level because it will compliment my other choices well and because I enjoy it immensely.

Just make sure that you're happy with whatever you choose at the end of the day. If you have any doubts, it's probably not the right choice to take a 5th A-level.

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing 4........i was doing a fifth after school but dropped it after a few months, not because of the pressure but because i didn't enjoy the subject!

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with most people here and say do 4. I wanted to do 5 but it couldn't fit into the timetable but that was only because I really wanted to do those subjects. I don't think universities care that much if you have 5 subjects - it's your grades which matter most, and they will suffer if you take an extra subject just for the sake of it.

BTW, I noticed at my school all the clever people seem to be doing 5...don't worry too much about it, there are lots of clever people doing only 4, as well!

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    I don't think universities care that much if you have 5 subjects - it's your grades which matter most, and they will suffer if you take an extra subject just for the sake of it.
    if you're doing Maths & FM some 'top' universities for some courses DO care about the subjects though & will only count one grade (the best i assume) from those subjects. i.e. you might have to carry on the 2 other AS subjects in order to be able to offer 3A2 subjects to make your offer.
    whereas doing 5ASs would give you some flexibility in deciding to drop one.

as i said in my first post - when doing FM it's not so much an obvious 4 v. 5 choice because of the nature of the subject.. which is something most people here seem to be overlooking. :confused:

Given that you've got History, which is a time consuming subject, I would recommend that you only do the 5th AS if you are either really commited to the subject, or if you really enjoy it, and think that you can handle the extra pressure it could place upon you and your A-levels.
    well, obviously.. would be silly to do something otherwise! :p: & history isn't necessarily that time consuming, depends where your strengths lie i suppose.
    but as Saf! says, easily drop-able!

anyway - wait & see what your GCSEs are like, perhaps? i only decided to take a 5th because it seemed silly not to after GCSE results & i really couldn't make my mind up!

any idea of other subjects you'd consider doing? if you're strong at maths something like eceonomics might complement the history? or chemistry might complement the physics.. or biology is fairly easy if you have a decent memory..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    especially when 2 of them are the same subject.. & you can always drop 1 if it is.
    Further Maths is meant to be difficult! :mad:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.