Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this doesn't have much to do with learning, but i could say that this is improving my business studies skills.

I am selling a Snooper S6-R neo. This is a device that is put inside your car and it detects when there are speed camera's approaching and other accident hotspots. If you want more details, please go to my auction on eBay which is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3067 839359&category=1498

This device is sold in shops for around 450-500 pounds, and i am starting a bid at 250. This is an unwanted xmas present which is why I am selling it. If anyone on this forum would like to ask me any further questions, please do so. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpio)
    I know this doesn't have much to do with learning, but i could say that this is improving my business studies skills.

I am selling a Snooper S6-R neo. This is a device that is put inside your car and it detects when there are speed camera's approaching and other accident hotspots. If you want more details, please go to my auction on eBay which is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=1498

This device is sold in shops for around 450-500 pounds, and i am starting a bid at 250. This is an unwanted xmas present which is why I am selling it. If anyone on this forum would like to ask me any further questions, please do so. Thanks a lot!
    thye are illegal aren t they

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    no, but the police want them to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    no, but the police want them to be.
    isnt there a type of these devices that is illegal, i read somewhere something about an item like this being againsth the law. The one i most want is the current that runs through turning your license plate opaque.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    isnt there a type of these devices that is illegal, i read somewhere something about an item like this being againsth the law. The one i most want is the current that runs through turning your license plate opaque.
    No they are not illegal as they are preventing accidents. Camera's are placed on hotspots where people speed and get into accidents. This lets the driver know if there is a camera approaching and so the driver slows down and hence doesn't crash. They are perfectly legal

ReputationRep:
    No they are not illegal as they are preventing accidents. Camera's are placed on hotspots where people speed and get into accidents. This lets the driver know if there is a camera approaching and so the driver slows down and hence doesn't crash. They are perfectly legal
    well the official reason for cameras is at accident hotspots, but the whole aim of cameras is to get you to drive within the speed limit at all times, seems a bit illogical to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Radio scanners are illegal, but definately not the ones that tell you about speed cameras.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Radio scanners are illegal, but definately not the ones that tell you about speed cameras.
    so is anyone on here interested?

ReputationRep:
    so is anyone on here interested?
    No. We don't have cars.

ReputationRep:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=1498

I used to have a similair system and they are questionable to say the least.

1. They pick up all forms of radar / laser emission which means most traffic lights set them off (sensors above the traffic lights scan for cars).

2. In the event that it actually "detects" a mobile speed trap the chances are the Police have already got you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I used to have a similair system and they are questionable to say the least.

1. They pick up all forms of radar / laser emission which means most traffic lights set them off (sensors above the traffic lights scan for cars).

2. In the event that it actually "detects" a mobile speed trap the chances are the Police have already got you.
    Interesting...for point 2, how do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    because if it has detected thh police, the police have already detected you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    because if it has detected thh police, the police have already detected you.
    Good point there. But teh polic might not be pointing the scanner at you though...

ReputationRep:
    Good point there. But teh polic might not be pointing the scanner at you though...
    something to think about *walks around a room and thinks*

ReputationRep:

To elaborate on the other response someone gave you basically if it is recieving the emissions the police are chucking out then the police are already bouncing the radar/laser off you and will have your speed readout already!

ReputationRep:

Many police "safety cameras" (ahem!) use the basic principal of s=d/t thus making these radar detection devices useless.

ReputationRep:
    Many police "safety cameras" (ahem!) use the basic principal of s=d/t thus making these radar detection devices useless.
    no, they only use that as a backup. they actually use doppler shif to accurately measure your speed. the reflected radar pulse will be frequency-shifted towards the red end and the amount it is shifted by is proportional to how fast you are going, and it is this shift that the cameras actually detect. the camera then takes 2 photos a small interval apart, and then in court to back up the primary (ie doppler shift) reading they use s=d/t from the photos to prove it.

ReputationRep:
    the police have to have the radar gun pointed at you for about 3 seconds to actually identify your speed. If it detects the laser gun, you slow down straight away and you don't get caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    no, they only use that as a backup. they actually use doppler shif to accurately measure your speed. the reflected radar pulse will be frequency-shifted towards the red end and the amount it is shifted by is proportional to how fast you are going, and it is this shift that the cameras actually detect. the camera then takes 2 photos a small interval apart, and then in court to back up the primary (ie doppler shift) reading they use s=d/t from the photos to prove it.
    Well thats impressive...you learn all this stuff in physics? Do you ever go out and produce harmonic motion on lamp posts?

ReputationRep:
    the police have to have the radar gun pointed at you for about 3 seconds to actually identify your speed. If it detects the laser gun, you slow down straight away and you don't get caught.
    Count out loud 1,2,3. Is this really enough time to slow down?

Didnt think so!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.