The Student Room Group

The TSR Palestinian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
When Israel attempts to "let them get on with it" by handing over territory, elements in Palestinian society seize the opportunity to increase their attacks. There seems little that Israel can do to combat the bigoted religious mindsets of many in hating the "evil Jew". Those Muslims who do move towards peace with Israel are branded traitors by the extremist groups and their lives are put at risk. I don't think you can lay the blame solely upon Israel, to be fair.

Unstoppable force? You must be joking. The only thing rendering them "unstoppable" is that Israel, despite what you may like to think, is humane and would consider the full scale eradication of Palestine morally reprehensible. It's physically capable of demolishing the whole sorry nation. Hamas and co are like moths to the flame, going closer and closer to see how far they can go before getting burnt.
Apagg
When Israel attempts to "let them get on with it" by handing over territory, elements in Palestinian society seize the opportunity to increase their attacks. There seems little that Israel can do to combat the bigoted religious mindsets of many in hating the "evil Jew".

Here's a riddle for you. How can Israel say they want peace, while at the same time take away Palestinian land, creating illegal settlements?

Those Muslims who do move towards peace with Israel are branded traitors by the extremist groups and their lives are put at risk. I don't think you can lay the blame solely upon Israel, to be fair.

Hamas and Fatah, who have opposing views on whether to recognise Isreal were pretty much stalemated recently. They put up a good fight, so no. I'll have to disagree there.

Unstoppable force? You must be joking. The only thing rendering them "unstoppable" is that Israel, despite what you may like to think, is humane and would consider the full scale eradication of Palestine morally reprehensible. It's physically capable of demolishing the whole sorry nation. Hamas and co are like moths to the flame, going closer and closer to see how far they can go before getting burnt.

They could cause a good ol' genocide, but that would be the easy way out, eh ? Plus their image may be slightly tarnished.
Reply 1762
Invocation
Here's a riddle for you. How can Israel say they want peace, while at the same time take away Palestinian land, creating illegal settlements?

Hamas and Fatah, who have opposing views on whether to recognise Isreal were pretty much stalemated recently. They put up a good fight, so no. I'll have to disagree there.

They could cause a good ol' genocide, but that would be the easy way out, eh ? Plus their image may be slightly tarnished.

How can Palestine claim it wants peace and then launch missiles into Israel?
Perhaps Israel takes the land to prevent its citizens dying?
Hamas and Fatah aren't the only groups you know. And how does the disagreement between the two groups disprove me? If I recall there's been a great deal of violence between the two groups - if anything it provides more evidence for my point.
Yes, exactly, if they actually hated Palestine as much as you claim, they could just wipe it out. March in, conquer the place, no more resistance. But they don't want that. Israel wants to live in peace, it doesn't want to kill every Muslim, (even though many Muslims seem to want to kill every Jew) and it doesn't want more land. Military action taken by Israel is generally to increase the safety of Israeli citizens from missile and other terrorist attacks.

I'm still waiting for your suggestions as to how Israel should deal with the problem of terrorism, if not through military or non-military means
Apagg
Hamas and Fatah aren't the only groups you know. And how does the disagreement between the two groups disprove me? If I recall there's been a great deal of violence between the two groups - if anything it provides more evidence for my point.
Yes, exactly, if they actually hated Palestine as much as you claim, they could just wipe it out. March in, conquer the place, no more resistance. But they don't want that. Israel wants to live in peace, it doesn't want to kill every Muslim, (even though many Muslims seem to want to kill every Jew) and it doesn't want more land. Military action taken by Israel is generally to increase the safety of Israeli citizens from missile and other terrorist attacks.

I'm still waiting for your suggestions as to how Israel should deal with the problem of terrorism, if not through military or non-military means

What are you basing that on?

the problem of terrorism should be solved if a Palestinian state is created. So hypothetically, they should put that as their first agenda, not on defence and IDF pride yadda. The two state solution is favoured by your end, so that has to be the one and only solution. Anything else is not really a meaningful ''solution'' it's just a measure. And if you think oh well there'll be problems with Hamas in a newly created state attacking Israel, then thats THE major problem with a two state solution.
Reply 1764
Evil-Tuna
What are you basing that on?

the problem of terrorism should be solved if a Palestinian state is created. So hypothetically, they should put that as their first agenda, not on defence and IDF pride yadda. The two state solution is favoured by your end, so that has to be the one and only solution. Anything else is not really a meaningful solution. And if we have problems with Hamas in a newly created state attacking Israel, then thats THE major problem with a two state solution.

There is enough evidence to suggest at least a significant minority of Muslims harbour strong anti-Semitic feeling.

Hmm, how would the creation of a Palestinian state help matters? I'm not being critical or anything, but I just don't see that the creation of a Palestinian state would resolve many of the major motives that Hamas and other groups have for attacking Israel.
Apagg

Hamas only scraped the last election.

It takes land off civilians, and you try to justify this BS ? That in itself is an act of war; and if you want a peaceful demonstration ask Corrie.
They're the two big ones, like the Democrats and the Republicans. The others few get around 1% of the vote. It shows hows that half of the Palestinians still have hope and still think they can get on with Israel, illegal settlements et all, while the other half, the less well off, and more disillusioned think peace cannot be accomplished because Israel doesn't want it. The illegal settlements show this better than anything.

And the military action taken by soldiers demolishing homes at midnight to make way for illegal settlements? Talk about handing over the olive branch!

I don't know enough about workable foreign policy strategies to form a would-be successful project; so what my opinion on the matter be worth ?
Apagg
There is enough evidence to suggest at least a significant minority of Muslims harbour strong anti-Semitic feeling.

Hmm, how would the creation of a Palestinian state help matters? I'm not being critical or anything, but I just don't see that the creation of a Palestinian state would resolve many of the major motives that Hamas and other groups have for attacking Israel.

You said many Muslims. Could I see the evidence for many Muslims? Or what percentage you put on that significant minority? And how you came to that conclusion.

Assuming you have a Fatah government, you could have a much stronger government, obviously, much more resources who are actually able to curb Hamas. That could basically mean disarm them.

How exactly do you stop several terrorist organisations? If their aim is to eradicate Israel, then your solution is to do as much as possible to disarm it. Bulldozing houses and then bombing refugee camps really does help doesnt it?

And my point is that in your two state solution you would always have this problem. Do you oppose a two state solution? How do you go about ''getting rid of'' etc several groups in your supposed solution?
Reply 1767
Invocation
Hamas only scraped the last election.

It takes land off civilians, and you try to justify this BS ? That in itself is an act of war; and if you want a peaceful demonstration ask Corrie.
They're the two big ones, like the Democrats and the Republicans. The others few get around 1% of the vote. It shows hows that half of the Palestinians still have hope and still think they can get on with Israel, illegal settlements et all, while the other half, the less well off, and more disillusioned think peace cannot be accomplished because Israel doesn't want it. The illegal settlements show this better than anything.

And the military action taken by soldiers demolishing homes at midnight to make way for illegal settlements? Talk about handing over the olive branch!

I don't know enough about workable foreign policy strategies to form a would-be successful project; so what my opinion on the matter be worth ?

How is your point about Hamas relevant in any way? It happens under hamas, and it happens under Fatah.

It takes land off civilians who seem happy to let terrorists use their homes as bases for attacks. I don't see a real problem with that, it seems justified.

So you're just going to criticise everything Israel does with a sense of smug self righteousness whilst not offering a better alternative, bravo.
Reply 1768
Evil-Tuna
You said many Muslims. Could I see the evidence for many Muslims? Or what percentage you put on that significant minority? And how you came to that conclusion.

Assuming you have a Fatah government, you could have a much stronger government, obviously, much more resources who are actually able to curb Hamas. That could basically mean disarm them.

How exactly do you stop several terrorist organisations? If their aim is to eradicate Israel, then your solution is to do as much as possible to disarm it. Bulldozing houses and then bombing refugee camps really does help doesnt it?

And my point is that in your two state solution you would always have this problem. Do you oppose a two state solution? How do you go about ''getting rid of'' etc several groups in your supposed solution?

I remember reading surveys on anti Semitism in the Arab world which led me to this conclusion. I can't find them on Google atm though.

I suppose that might work, provided Fatah really do want peace with Israel.
Generally Israel targets locations where terrorists operate, I don't think it's their fault that terrorists operate in civilian areas.

I think what Israel is currently doing is as good as any suggestion I've heard - the use of military force where appropriate to neutralise threats, and the use of propaganda to attempt to moderate anti-Israel feeling. It's not as though they haven't tried for peace before by handing over land, but given that such attempts have blown up in their face repeatedly, it would seem foolish to repeat them, which makes it politically difficult
Apagg
I remember reading surveys on anti Semitism in the Arab world which led me to this conclusion. I can't find them on Google atm though.

I suppose that might work, provided Fatah really do want peace with Israel.
Generally Israel targets locations where terrorists operate, I don't think it's their fault that terrorists operate in civilian areas.

I think what Israel is currently doing is as good as any suggestion I've heard - the use of military force where appropriate to neutralise threats, and the use of propaganda to attempt to moderate anti-Israel feeling. It's not as though they haven't tried for peace before by handing over land, but given that such attempts have blown up in their face repeatedly, it would seem foolish to repeat them, which makes it politically difficult

But if that is politically difficult, then it's just as militarily difficult. I mean in terms of exacerbating terrorism. Doesnt stop them using the solution they think they've found.

Since when did Arab mean Muslim? And I wouldn't have thought so in Jordan etc. One would think of Iran, but thats not Arab and there are Jews living in Iran, question is why are they still there? (apparently they live in terrible conditions according to one side, but I've read some articles where they consider themselves Persian Jews and only find occasional problems e.g. Israel in Lebanon and I think local authorities intervened anyway. but apart from that they dont have a problem. although this was about one particular synagogue/temple.)
Reply 1770
Evil-Tuna
But if that is politically difficult, then it's just as militarily difficult. I mean in terms of exacerbating terrorism. Doesnt stop them using the solution they think they've found.

Since when did Arab mean Muslim? And I wouldn't have thought so in Jordan etc. One would think of Iran, but thats not Arab and there are Jews living in Iran, question is why are they still there? (apparently they live in terrible conditions according to one side, but I've read some articles where they consider themselves Persian Jews and only find occasional problems e.g. Israel in Lebanon and I think local authorities intervened anyway. but apart from that they dont have a problem. although this was about one particular synagogue/temple.)

If someone sits in a house firing rockets at your people, you've little choice but to fire back.
Ok, perhaps Arab world was a bad term - the Middle East then, which is most definitely majority Muslim. If not the surveys, then the repeated terrorist attacks by Islamist groups and the past invasions by surrounding nations is surely an indication that Israel isn't terribly popular with the neighbours.
Apagg
If someone sits in a house firing rockets at your people, you've little choice but to fire back.
Ok, perhaps Arab world was a bad term - the Middle East then, which is most definitely majority Muslim. If not the surveys, then the repeated terrorist attacks by Islamist groups and the past invasions by surrounding nations is surely an indication that Israel isn't terribly popular with the neighbours.

How can you say many Muslims want to kill every Jew they meet? Or that a minority does but you can't say what that percentage is. Arab or Muslim isn't that helpful to use, why not just use anti-semites? And there is a difference between an anti-Semite and wanting to kill every Jew. Of course anti-Semitism is not acceptable, but what you're saying is misleading as from what you've said, who you're referring to, or what it is they're saying/want to do etc isn't conclusive at all.

And if someone keeps firing rockets, you figure that there must be a reason and that if you keep firing rockets back and forth, there isn't going to be a house at some point. And when generations keep firing rockets, rebuilding etc, then it'll look like it's a dead end. (even if it isn't, people tend to demonise the other side, when in reality the populations of those groups aren't even close to that stereotype etc).
Apagg
How is your point about Hamas relevant in any way? It happens under hamas, and it happens under Fatah.

The key point here is that Fatah recognises Israel. Israel should hope that Fatah gets into power, but as one week the Fatah leader meets with Olmert to discuss peace, Olmert then stabs him in the back the next by announcing more settlements. It's so hypocritical.

It takes land off civilians who seem happy to let terrorists use their homes as bases for attacks. I don't see a real problem with that, it seems justified.

You have no basis for this. Yes Israel have been known to bulldoze the houses of families of suicide bombers; (the morality of punishing the family of the criminals :rolleyes:) but most of the houses have been taken down to make way for Jewish settlements. The latter is much more common, yet you choose to ignore it.

So you're just going to criticise everything Israel does with a sense of smug self righteousness whilst not offering a better alternative, bravo.

One cannot criticize obvious moral and humanitarian flaws without offering an alternative? That's preposterous.
Apagg
I don't think it's their fault that terrorists operate in civilian areas.
I'm so sick of this line. The Palestinian territories are some of the most densely populated areas in the world. There is no such thing as "civilian" areas. :rolleyes:
You know why the Palestinians always throw stones at the Israeli troops? It's all they have in their greenhouses.
Pro-palestinian supporters in this thread - I'm curious. Do any of you refuse to acknowledge Israel as a legitimate country (regardless of whether you agree with her politics)?
Reply 1776
Helen, you troll.... :wink:
I think the majority would say no we don't refuse that. What is the point of this question?
Am I right, Evil Tuna, when I think us two are the only ones left active in this society ?
Invocation
You have no basis for this. Yes Israel have been known to bulldoze the houses of families of suicide bombers; (the morality of punishing the family of the criminals :rolleyes:) but most of the houses have been taken down to make way for Jewish settlements. The latter is much more common, yet you choose to ignore it.

Yes this has happened... suicide bombings increased due to finanical incentives. The families would get payed $10,000, as 'compensation' and this is just off. The PA used internation aid to compensate families ie encourage suicide bombers. Israel also has a right to protect her self and by getting rid of this financial incentive, it reduced attacks.

The security fence for example but attacks by 95% and you still look for some way to try and prove it was not done to stop attacks. I remember someone saying it was in reality to stop palestinians from the west bank escaping in to Israel, as if Israel isnt allowed to stop illegal imergation.

You have to realise something about house demolitions, there is a reason why these house demolished for a buffer zone are not legitimate. This buffer zone exsisted for a long time, palestinians started building houses there with out permission, attacks increase, so Israel demolishes the houses to restore the buffer zone, its quite really, its easy to critisize the move when you take it out of perspective, but when its taken as part of the wider picture, its a legitimate move.

In the UK we also have a thing called planning permission. If you where to breach it then you would be taken to court, but the ultimate result would be exactly the same, if you dont get rid of it, the council will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending