The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

is it acceptable to wear a bikini in your local swimming pool?

Scroll to see replies

Haha, ofcourse you can wear bikinis in a swimming pool! Most do o:
You can wear whatever you want in my swimming pool :wink:
saladdodger
i'm doing the race for life this year, and as part of my preparation to get fit for it, i'm going to start swimming again after years of not swimming.
wondering how acceptable it was to wear a bikini to the pool, i googled it, couldn't find many results, but did find this:
http://www.shinystyle.tv/2009/11/why_bikinis_in_public_swimming.html

whoever wrote this just sounds like a bitter fatty, in my opinion. i don't think there's anything wrong with wearing a bikini, as i'm going to swim lengths, not "pose and preen". but now i'm not so sure?

and surely, if bikinis are considered too revealing for the pool, why are old men allowed to wear the most repugnant, unflattering speedos that leave nothing to the imagination?

i haven't owned a swimming costume in years, and i have no intention of buying one when i have perfectly good (not ridiculously skimpy) swimwear already.
what d'you think?

Erm, how can I put this, you aren't fat or anything are you? Because if you are, although I couldn't stop you, perhaps it wouldn't be the wisest course?
Reply 23
I don't own a one piece, and seriously has never considered that there was anything wrong with them in swimming pools before.
why not? i personally never wear a bikini but that's just me!!
It's perfectly acceptable, I also have no intention of purchasing a one-piece swimsuit, they are so unflattering on me, I feel a lot more confident in a bikini.
Reply 26
HaNzY
I think your concern need not be a concern. It is silly, of course you are allowed to wear bikinis to go swimming!

thanks (: i thought so! but i've heard that some places have banned it, and someone said they were asked to change.

Annaconda
i havent worn a one-piece swimming costume since i was about 5, maybe younger. i really dont see the problem. its much harder to find a swimming costume to fit and would be a waste of money really.

yeah, that's basically what i thought. swimming costumes make anyone look like a blob. or a nun.

and nay, i'm pretty thin; i don't wobble when i walk :awesome:
surely young flesh in a decent bikini is way way waaaaay less controversial or inappropriate on the eyes than this:
http://thevinylvillage.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/hariy-man-wearing-speedos-or-budgee-smugglers-and-1.jpg
Reply 27
Most people at my pool who are swimming for fitness wear swimsuits and most people who are there for fun wear bikinis. Most people swimming go there to swim and don't really pay attention to other swimmers and what they're wearing so don't worry about it, just wear what you feel comfortable swimming in.

Be prepared for fatties who like to stand around in the shallow end for an hour doing no actual swimming. It makes turning when you're doing laps awkward and its damn irritating.
Reply 28
I personally wouldn't wear a bikini to a swimming pool or a beach (don't have the figure for it xD) but I don't have a problem with other women wearing a bikini, if they've got the confidence, why not? I know I would if I had the figure xD
DannyBoy123
If you're fit go for it, if you look like this then please do everyone a favour and don't:

:hump: :hump:

Yaarrrrrr, man the harpoons!!!
I rarely see anything other than a bikini.
Should be acceptable to go swimming naked if you want.

Stupid culture.

Loads of women wear bikinis, I don't see why it would be a problem.
Reply 32
rainbowbex
I personally wouldn't care what you wore so long as you didn't get in my way, or cause others to get in my way.

if you wanna swim naked I really couldn't give a toss!! :P

Pretty much, this.

OP, you could say you have a Neoprene (Polychloroprene) allergy.

:dontknow:
Reply 33
saladdodger
thanks (: i thought so! but i've heard that some places have banned it, and someone said they were asked to change.

I would kick up the biggest fuss if that happened to me!

Anyway, some men wear speedos...what is the difference between that and a bikini which actually covers up more of your body??

I would go crazy at them lol.
Reply 34
saladdodger
yes? what else would they be for? parachuting?

getting a tan. :smile:
Reply 35
almost everyone my age wears a bikini at the pool, why wouldnt it be considered normal??
Reply 36
I wear a bikini whenever I go swimming :smile:
Of course wearing bikinis at the pool is fine - but if you're training, I would have thought a one-piece would be more supportive and easier to swim properly. Bikinis are really for lounging by the pool or playing on the beach which requires little movement.
Reply 38
of course its acceptable!
Reply 39
Of course it's fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending