Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offlimits)
    yeah i know someone who applied to pembroke and was pooled and they picked him out again...
    where did you apply and for what course?
    sps at newnham

ReputationRep:
    yup and i saw loads during my interview... makes me kinda nervous large applicant: place ratio decreasing my chances as if it isn't bad enough being international

there are lots of christs medics here too
    just wondering, if a medic gets put in the pool, do they have as much chance as anyone else? Will cam put less in the pool to even odds for em? Just wunderin..im not a medic, but it wld seem a bit unfair if not!

ReputationRep:
    newnham is really pretty! how did your interview go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    just wondering, if a medic gets put in the pool, do they have as much chance as anyone else? Will cam put less in the pool to even odds for em? Just wunderin..im not a medic, but it wld seem a bit unfair if not!
    i have no idea actually! i always thought there weren't any restrictions on the number of people you could put in the pool but i hope not it would be really unfair!

ReputationRep:
    newnham is really pretty! how did your interview go?
    ye it is
    the interviewers were really nice so i didnt get ne indication.....obviosuly theres some things i could have dun better......so i really cant tell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    ye it is
    the interviewers were really nice so i didnt get ne indication.....obviosuly theres some things i could have dun better......so i really cant tell!
    oh well at least you're in the pool, that's something... i wonder if the interviewers put in notes or comments on our interview in our file if we get into the pool. otherwise are they just looking at our personal statements and grades/predictions etc again?

ReputationRep:
    i have no idea actually! i always thought there weren't any restrictions on the number of people you could put in the pool but i hope not it would be really unfair!
    I think you only get put in the pool when the college think that you're good enough to go to Cambridge, but because of high competition for places you don't get into your first choice college initially.

So i would have thought the numbers of people in the pool for each subject are proportional to the number of applicants for each subject too.

G

ReputationRep:
    oh well at least you're in the pool, that's something... i wonder if the interviewers put in notes or comments on our interview in our file if we get into the pool. otherwise are they just looking at our personal statements and grades/predictions etc again?
    no i think they put in some kind of interview report??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I think you only get put in the pool when the college think that you're good enough to go to Cambridge, but because of high competition for places you don't get into your first choice college initially.

So i would have thought the numbers of people in the pool for each subject are proportional to the number of applicants for each subject too.

G
    yeah, that makes sense....wonder if music is popular subject?

ReputationRep:
    oh well... i have no idea anymore :confused:
    I'll just hope and pray clare gives me an offer and then i don't have to worry anymore.
    please please please!

ReputationRep:
    i think there are only 3 or 4 places per college?

ReputationRep:
    I would've thought so...i mean...anybody who is good ehough to do music as a degree must automatically think of oxbridge...

G

ReputationRep:
    I would've thought so...i mean...anybody who is good ehough to do music as a degree must automatically think of oxbridge...

G
    yea, hmm, ah well! This board will be pretty desolate after all the pooled peeps hear summat!

ReputationRep:

G

Unless they want to perform music rather than just study the academic stuff. I know of some top-standard musicians who HATED the Cambridge degree course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Unless they want to perform music rather than just study the academic stuff. I know of some top-standard musicians who HATED the Cambridge degree course.
    yeah, thats true! Im interested in the compositional aspect, so s'all gud! *sighs*, just wish i knew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musicwoman)
    Hi

I applied to Sidney Sussex to read Music and got the same as you - 'no decision', which I guessed meant I was pooled, since the pooling letter came with it.

I'm wondering just how many music students there are this year? I don't know about you, but I've been on interview to other respected Music unis and hardly met ANY cambridge applicants. 3 for Selwyn, that's all. Where the hell are they all?

How did your inteviews go and what are you doing musically?

x
    Hi musicwoman! i think Jesus college was undersubscribed this year because there were only 4 applicants! Maybe that has something to do with my "no decision"; they're waiting to see if there's anyone better in the pool!! My general interview was ok, but i don't know about the music, it was sort of mixed. He asked me the number of symphonies haydn and beethoven had written, so i had to say straight out that i didn't have a clue. I thought it was going to be more on applying knowledge to new situations rather than straightforward encyclopaedic knowledge!! I don't know any1 else applying for music at cam either! Hopefully it means our chances are increased! Musically, i'm thinking of working towards my dipabrsm, but don't know if i'll have time with a-levels etc! What about you?

Good luck with your app, hope you get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    well it still means that 2 out of 3 people dont get in ...... its about that kinda ratio for maths and its still really tough.

although would the music interview have alot of theory in it? surely it's about how passionate u are about music and how much you know about general music styles, not just what an appoggiatura or col legno means....
    There were some questions like that, for example, i had to trace the modulations through this scherzo and trio by beethoven (some of which i messed up cos they were really beefy flat keys!), but there were also some keyboard tests, a bach chorale harmony test, questions related to music history (i had to order haydn, beethoven and mozart, saying who was first/last in history), questions related to a-level music and my general interests, but it was just weird really! think i came across as dumb and like i didn't know much, there were quite a few "don't knows", but i haven't been rejected yet so who knows?

ReputationRep:
    ok this is somewhat irrelevant, but what does an acceptance letter say (quotes please)? just reallyreallyreally curious/impatient/bored to death because i'm still waiting for my letter (pleasepleaseplease an offer!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frappucino)
    ok this is somewhat irrelevant, but what does an acceptance letter say (quotes please)? just reallyreallyreally curious/impatient/bored to death because i'm still waiting for my letter (pleasepleaseplease an offer!!!)
    mine started with something like "we are pleased to advise you that we are intended to make you on offer to read an honour degree in Computer Science at Pembroke and blah blah blah..... signed Susan Stobbs....."

ReputationRep:
    oooh, i so want to read that for myself!!!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.