Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    I'm so sorry... I was really hoping you'd get in. I hope you're not taking it too hard; your other choices are still excellent, and you should feel none the worse for them.
    OMG That is so bad lilsunflower I am very sorry

Haz - How are you?????? Good to know your situation was similar to mine!

I really must be the only one waiting now I am now thinking this whole cambridge thing was in my imagination

ReputationRep:
    hey new avatar

ReputationRep:
    Thank You to the angels of this forum.

I've just had a good cry and I just came back to thank all those that have been supporting me in this forum. Special thanks to Radagasty, gzftan, Mentally Ill, and Hells Bells amongst the many wonderful people here.

Honestly, rejection is one of the hardest things to stomach. I've spent a bit of time consoling people who got rejected, but I never really knew how hard it was to 'get over it'. Now I'm just gonna give my full support to anyone still waiting, and my real sympathies to those who don't get the result they hope for.

My dad opened the letter for me and the whole family crowded round. There was this dead silence and a look of shock and disbelief. I didn't have to read the letter and I already knew. Then we had to phone my employer (the most famous lawyer in Brunei) who had come all the way to Cambridge with me to give me support despite fainting on the plane and having a slipdisk. I had to try not to cry on the phone and listen to his shock too. I felt like I had disappointed everyone and I was just going through that "I hate myself"... "I'm dumb" phase. After locking myself in the room for a couple of hours.. I've now come to my senses and realise that it is time to move on.

I was already preparing for rejection and expecting it. But getting it is totally a different story. I didn't know I'd be so upset!

I just got the sweetest email from my bf and lots of texts from my friends. I'm now off to chart my course for next year, will work towards getting ABB for Nottingham and that means I'll have an easy academic year ahead. Gosh.. I feel really bad but I must move on! Sorry if this is all incoherent and jumbbled, I'm in limbo now between chronic depression and postiive thinking.

Thanks again to all the wonderful sweeties here. I really really appreciate it. I'll be back here to post and just see how everyone's doing. xoxo Flo

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to say that getting in oxford or cambridge should not be actually that big deal. It's just our, the class of intellectually superior savants, attitude towards it that makes it such a huge thing.
    Keynes went to Cambridge , Ali G went to Oxford , what about everybody else ? studyin in oxbridge doesn't guarantee success in life.
    So all you people out there that didn't get in, dont allow this to hold you back! Not only can u still succeed as much, but you are also guaranteed a much better time. Go party in a Nottingham club and call me up around midnight check if i have finished any of my extended essays for that week just yet!
    As I was told by an american academic advisor " It doesn't matter which college you go to, all that matters is what you make out of it" !

I hope ya'll make the best out of your years wherever you go!

Best wishes,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    OMG That is so bad lilsunflower I am very sorry

Haz - How are you?????? Good to know your situation was similar to mine!

I really must be the only one waiting now I am now thinking this whole cambridge thing was in my imagination

Hi Mental,
    I'm fine ta (stressing over holiday work now...) You didn't imagine it mate, I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Lilsunflower I'm so sorry - I know this won't help now but you will forget about it and move on quicker than you think. Glad to hear you have supportive people around you - you really deserve them!

H xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKewLesT)
    I just wanted to say that getting in oxford or cambridge should not be actually that big deal. It's just our, the class of intellectually superior savants, attitude towards it that makes it such a huge thing.
    Keynes went to Cambridge , Ali G went to Oxford , what about everybody else ? studyin in oxbridge doesn't guarantee success in life.
    So all you people out there that didn't get in, dont allow this to hold you back! Not only can u still succeed as much, but you are also guaranteed a much better time. Go party in a Nottingham club and call me up around midnight check if i have finished any of my extended essays for that week just yet!
    As I was told by an american academic advisor " It doesn't matter which college you go to, all that matters is what you make out of it" !

I hope ya'll make the best out of your years wherever you go!

Best wishes,
    Oi, Ali G went to Christs Cambridge thanks v. much!

ReputationRep:
    Poo Thanks again to all those who have given me support.

I'm feeling a bit gutted right now because another international student PMed me twice and asked me when my letter was delivered but didn't bother sympathising with my rejection. It was a bit insensitive and I am a bit offended, but maybe it's just coz' I'm emotionally strung up right now. I'm probably being unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I applied for NatSci at Peterhouse and I've got pooled. I'm trying not to get too depressed about it! I was surprised that I got pooled though because I've applied for deferred entry so I thought I'd be either rejected or accepted outright. Surely the colleges which are looking in the pool are aiming to fill this year's places rather than take someone for next year, who peterhouse already have said they don't want, so why did they bother putting me in the pool at all?! Has anyone else who applied for deferred entry been pooled?

ReputationRep:
    p.s congrats to all those accepted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)

I'm feeling a bit gutted right now because another international student PMed me twice and asked me when my letter was delivered but didn't bother sympathising with my rejection. It was a bit insensitive and I am a bit offended, but maybe it's just coz' I'm emotionally strung up right now. I'm probably being unfair.
    bad luck...

for some reason none of those who had to wait longer for their letter got an offer...

know how you felt, felt the same, but life goes on...

all the best.

manu

ReputationRep:

Er...nope, I would be offended too. I guess people get so caught up in their own world with it they don't consider others. Seriously LSF you will feel better sooner than you think. It may also help to know that there's a considerable luck element involved - number of applicants, pool dynamics etc. Hug

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Damn Im still bloody waiting!!!! I heard my college arent posting until next week!!!

I fear I may not have got in...... I am so sad.....If i get rejected i will throw myself in the river thames
    can someone please tell me what the choral awards are, and how u get them - me confused!

ReputationRep:
    I realized there's a lot have been pooled...

is it particularly the case this year??

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected
    Hi lilsunflower I'm sorry to hear that you've rejected. Not being big-headed, I think I'm a strong candidate as well and I got pooled by Downing for engineering. So you can see how competitive it is and it's a bit of lottery. Anyway good luck to wherever you end up with (I believe it's nottingham) and I think that uni is very lucky to have you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    can someone please tell me what the choral awards are, and how u get them - me confused!
    Choral awards are funds you can apply for usually when you apply (although some colleges do it at the start of term.) You have auditions and if you win the award you get a certain amount of money (dep. on college) and in return you will have choir commitments.

ReputationRep:
    Hey LSF, remember what Sunflowers are famous for? Always staring the sun in the face wherever it is in the sky. So chin up LSF and follow the sun - you're bright enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    Hi lilsunflower I'm sorry to hear that you've rejected. Not being big-headed, I think I'm a strong candidate as well and I got pooled by Downing for engineering. So you can see how competitive it is and it's a bit of lottery. Anyway good luck to wherever you end up with (I believe it's nottingham) and I think that uni is very lucky to have you.
    yeh me too, it sounded like u so deserved to go sorry - it makes me feel guilty for being pooled as i couldn't give a damn whether i get in or not. hope you're ok

ReputationRep:

Aw, I'm sorry lilsunflower. Remember only ONE thing...it's their loss. I'm sure Nottingham will soon be proud as hell to have found you, and you'll eventually look back and maybe even be glad you weren't accepted in the first place. I'm sure you did deserve to get in - as for many other people here - but I can only imagine for international students it must be even more of a lottery for the rest of us. Blame Murphy, not yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu)
    bad luck...

for some reason none of those who had to wait longer for their letter got an offer...

know how you felt, felt the same, but life goes on...

all the best.

manu
    Hey dont say that......I am still waiting!

ReputationRep:
    yeah me 2! still waiting to hear!!!! i never thought that we wouldnt find out until 5th of jan, i will of been waiting a whole wk now!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.