Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    No, mine just said i got pooled...but it was a nice letter...may frame it! I applied to Kings to do music, hows about you?
    Hmmm...this gets curioser and curioser! Your letter just said you were pooled ...sure?

There are two of us here that I know of, me and Musicman, who've got letters saying 'no firm decision... we are passing your apps onto other colleges, who may offer a place...or you may still get an offer from us'. I think both of us were from colleges with small intakes of musicians.

It's all so confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musicwoman)
    Hi

I so nearly applied to Kings. I'd set my heart on going there since I was 14 but changed my mind at the last minute. I really liked Nick Marston when I met him at the Open Day but Kings seemed SO big and filled with tourists. I felt a bit vulnerable.

Good luck in the pool to you, too!

ta! Nick Marston was ace, other guy Iain Fenlon was a tad scary, made me analyse this painting...hmmmmmm! ah well, im havin fun swimmin in the shallow end of the pooL!

ReputationRep:
    hey every1
    so has any1 heard?
    i thought if i didnt get in i wouldn't be all that bothered but i didn't and now i'm gutted! i've got my second choice but it's not the same.
    do u think its worth applying again next year?
    to make it worse, this girl at my school who didn't get great GCSE results and then only got AABC at AS is in the pool - and i got 8 A*s and 2 As and 4As at AS!
    i applied for french and german which isn't that popular either.
    i feel really terrible, i tried so hard to prepare and everything beforehand and then on the day i was awful. i feel like i really let myself down and every1s really disappointed in me. my headteacher even wants to phone up the college and ask why - tho to be honest i dont think i want him to cos i already know...i just looked really stupid.
    it makes me hate the interview system. i've worked so hard for this and i've done loads of extra curricular stuff too, but i was awful on one day and its messed all my dreams up!
    to make it worse, i've just been dumped by my boyf of 2 yrs.
    some new year!
    hope some others were successful...let me know how u all got on so i can be jealous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    Hi musicwoman! i think Jesus college was undersubscribed this year because there were only 4 applicants! Maybe that has something to do with my "no decision"; they're waiting to see if there's anyone better in the pool!! My general interview was ok, but i don't know about the music, it was sort of mixed. He asked me the number of symphonies haydn and beethoven had written, so i had to say straight out that i didn't have a clue. I thought it was going to be more on applying knowledge to new situations rather than straightforward encyclopaedic knowledge!! I don't know any1 else applying for music at cam either! Hopefully it means our chances are increased! Musically, i'm thinking of working towards my dipabrsm, but don't know if i'll have time with a-levels etc! What about you?

Good luck with your app, hope you get in!

Oh blimey! I would have been stuffed if I'd been asked about numbers of symphonies! I've got better things to do than sit and count them! We may be right about the 'no decision' thing - both of us are from small colleges, in terms of nos of music students. The guy who was pooled from Kings got a 'polled' letter - I'm not sure it's the same.

You know, I thought it was weird on the Open Day: Kings only had 3 Open days - right? On the one I went to, there were only TWO OF US who were potential Music applicants - me and someone who is current a section principal in the NYO (which probably influenced my decision not to apply there too - I didn't think I'd stand a chance if all the applicants were NYO or, WORSE, EUYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL) But say each of the Kings Open days only attracted a similar number of Music students - that only makes maybe 6 (ish) in all - to KING'S?????????????? I also went to another Open day where there were only 2 potential music students - at Corpus Christi.

Maybe there just aren't many of us around this year (in which case - great! Or well, at least it's something positive to think about for a few days, even if it's not true!) It's certainly the case at Oxford with Chemistry - maybe it's happening to Music now???????? As I said I've been on interview to loads of other places but hardly come across any other Cam Music students, not even in the places you would consider to be a popular choice for potential Oxbridge rejects, like York and Durham. There were loads of people on interview at York, but nearly all of them seemed to be Oxford applicants. I think it's weird.

My music interview was funny - he spent ages asking me excatly what I'd done in my modules, then we talked about Schoenberg for a while then he said 'Oh God I suppose we'd better do some music' and we talked through a Ravel score...it all seemed very laid back. (Maybe I enjoyed it too much? Ooops...something else to worry about!!)

My college interview was an absolute disaster. He honestly asked me NOTHING AT ALL from my personal statement...he asked me what I'd read recently and when I said 'music books' he asked me what fiction.

'Harry Potter'.

So then he tried which newspapers I read and what their political bias was - like HELLO I'm a music student!!!!!!!! Then he just kept saying 'Well what do you want to talk about then?' I thought 'You're the bloody interviewer - you ask me!!'

DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!! Hence the pool, I guess!!

Good luck - we musicians will have to keep each other sane! Oh, as for what I'm doing, I've already done my DipABRSM (well, to be truthful, the Guildhall equivalent - CertGSMD(P) )and I'm doing Grade 8 Theory now.

ReputationRep:
    damn if my interviewer asked what i wanted to to talk about i would have been so happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    can someone please tell me what the choral awards are, and how u get them - me confused!

Most important question (that is, first things first): can you sing, Fred - I mean not just in the shower?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartbroken)
    hey every1
    so has any1 heard?
    i thought if i didnt get in i wouldn't be all that bothered but i didn't and now i'm gutted! i've got my second choice but it's not the same.
    do u think its worth applying again next year?
    to make it worse, this girl at my school who didn't get great GCSE results and then only got AABC at AS is in the pool - and i got 8 A*s and 2 As and 4As at AS!
    i applied for french and german which isn't that popular either.
    i feel really terrible, i tried so hard to prepare and everything beforehand and then on the day i was awful. i feel like i really let myself down and every1s really disappointed in me. my headteacher even wants to phone up the college and ask why - tho to be honest i dont think i want him to cos i already know...i just looked really stupid.
    it makes me hate the interview system. i've worked so hard for this and i've done loads of extra curricular stuff too, but i was awful on one day and its messed all my dreams up!
    to make it worse, i've just been dumped by my boyf of 2 yrs.
    some new year!
    hope some others were successful...let me know how u all got on so i can be jealous
    hi. I'm so sorry. I'm sitting waiting on a 'maybe' and I shall be just as gutted if I don't get in. It's so awful to have planned and prepared so carefully for years and then have a duff interview. I felt really stupid and thick in mine too.

I think they write to you and explain why they weren't able to accept you. I guess when things settle down you'll feel a bit better? There are going to be plenty of other brilliant people who didn't get places - look how many of us there are here already.

German sure ain't popular with me - I got an E at AS!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and keep letting everyone know how it's all going.
    xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Oh blimey! I would have been stuffed if I'd been asked about numbers of symphonies! I've got better things to do than sit and count them! We may be right about the 'no decision' thing - both of us are from small colleges, in terms of nos of music students. The guy who was pooled from Kings got a 'polled' letter - I'm not sure it's the same.

You know, I thought it was weird on the Open Day: Kings only had 3 Open days - right? On the one I went to, there were only TWO OF US who were potential Music applicants - me and someone who is current a section principal in the NYO (which probably influenced my decision not to apply there too - I didn't think I'd stand a chance if all the applicants were NYO or, WORSE, EUYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL) But say each of the Kings Open days only attracted a similar number of Music students - that only makes maybe 6 (ish) in all - to KING'S?????????????? I also went to another Open day where there were only 2 potential music students - at Corpus Christi.

Maybe there just aren't many of us around this year (in which case - great! Or well, at least it's something positive to think about for a few days, even if it's not true!) It's certainly the case at Oxford with Chemistry - maybe it's happening to Music now???????? As I said I've been on interview to loads of other places but hardly come across any other Cam Music students, not even in the places you would consider to be a popular choice for potential Oxbridge rejects, like York and Durham. There were loads of people on interview at York, but nearly all of them seemed to be Oxford applicants. I think it's weird.

My music interview was funny - he spent ages asking me excatly what I'd done in my modules, then we talked about Schoenberg for a while then he said 'Oh God I suppose we'd better do some music' and we talked through a Ravel score...it all seemed very laid back. (Maybe I enjoyed it too much? Ooops...something else to worry about!!)

My college interview was an absolute disaster. He honestly asked me NOTHING AT ALL from my personal statement...he asked me what I'd read recently and when I said 'music books' he asked me what fiction.

'Harry Potter'.

So then he tried which newspapers I read and what their political bias was - like HELLO I'm a music student!!!!!!!! Then he just kept saying 'Well what do you want to talk about then?' I thought 'You're the bloody interviewer - you ask me!!'

DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!! Hence the pool, I guess!!

Good luck - we musicians will have to keep each other sane! Oh, as for what I'm doing, I've already done my DipABRSM (well, to be truthful, the Guildhall equivalent - CertGSMD(P) )and I'm doing Grade 8 Theory now.
    gosh ur general interview sounds like a nightmare - i'd have been stuffed!! Some people are getting phonecalls now apparently so i really hope i get one tomorrow! It's probably just because ur general interviewer had absolutely no social skills whatsoever, and couldn't make conversation, so asked u what u could talk about! At least u didn't make loads of silly mistakes like me!!

I was going to do my grade 8 theory next year but don't know - is it hard?? Wot do u play by the way? I play piano.

ReputationRep:
    at least you know u r in the pool! robinson still havnt got bk 2 me!
    any ideas y? mayb they could be waiting to see who is in the pool! i dont know! this yr i know there were 6 music applicants(i think ) 4 robinson!
    i was thinking about doing my grade8 theory as well this yr, i play piano, flute, organ and i sing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat)
    at least you know u r in the pool! robinson still havnt got bk 2 me!
    any ideas y? mayb they could be waiting to see who is in the pool! i dont know! this yr i know there were 6 music applicants(i think ) 4 robinson!
    i was thinking about doing my grade8 theory as well this yr, i play piano, flute, organ and i sing!
    i'm sure they should've got in touch with u tho. have u contacted them to ask?? Maybe that might be a good idea, cos it might've got lost in the xmas post or something, cos others have apparently heard from Robinson College. Hope u get in anyway!

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure they should've got in touch with u tho. have u contacted them to ask?? Maybe that might be a good idea, cos it might've got lost in the xmas post or something, cos others have apparently heard from Robinson College. Hope u get in anyway!
    i am going to contact them 2moz if there isnt nething in the post!
    although gradually giving up hope, but i mean they could of least told me either way, im not sure if there were comunication problems between trinity and robinson, after all it did take me like 8 hours to travel there just 4 an interview and test as well as spending a wk down there 4 auditions in sept! how rude if they thought they could get away with not telling me!

ReputationRep:
    gosh ur general interview sounds like a nightmare - i'd have been stuffed!! Some people are getting phonecalls now apparently so i really hope i get one tomorrow! It's probably just because ur general interviewer had absolutely no social skills whatsoever, and couldn't make conversation, so asked u what u could talk about! At least u didn't make loads of silly mistakes like me!!

I was going to do my grade 8 theory next year but don't know - is it hard?? Wot do u play by the way? I play piano.
    I think the big jump for Theory is at Grade 6...grade 7 and 8 is more of the same, really. I think it's hard!

I play clarinet piano and sing.

I know someone pooled to Churchill last year for music who just got a letter with an offer - no phone call.

Fingers crossed eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat)
    i am going to contact them 2moz if there isnt nething in the post!
    although gradually giving up hope, but i mean they could of least told me either way, im not sure if there were comunication problems between trinity and robinson, after all it did take me like 8 hours to travel there just 4 an interview and test as well as spending a wk down there 4 auditions in sept! how rude if they thought they could get away with not telling me!

I really hope you hear something soon and that it's positive - this is misery!

I reckon we should all get together - sod 'jerry Springer: the Opera'. we should write one called 'Not waving but drowning - the joys of being pooled for cambridge'...take it to the Edinburgh Fringe, get spotted, make ourselves a fortune so we dont care whether we get in or not!!

ReputationRep:

I reckon we should all get together - sod 'jerry Springer: the Opera'. we should write one called 'Not waving but drowning - the joys of being pooled for cambridge'...take it to the Edinburgh Fringe, get spotted, make ourselves a fortune so we dont care whether we get in or not!!

sounds good 2 me, then if cam dont want us we can show them wot they r missing!

ReputationRep:

lol that's a very good idea!

ReputationRep:
    I think the big jump for Theory is at Grade 6...grade 7 and 8 is more of the same, really. I think it's hard!

I play clarinet piano and sing.

I know someone pooled to Churchill last year for music who just got a letter with an offer - no phone call.

Fingers crossed eh?
    ooh i'd love to get a straight offer through from a college- i don't care about the college cos they all look gr8, it's just i really like the music course at Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    Most important question (that is, first things first): can you sing, Fred - I mean not just in the shower?
    no lol i kno wi've got no musical talent i just wondered what they were as u spoeak of them!

ReputationRep:
    ive still not heard from robinson!
    ne1 else not heard yet? and o my god its the 5th of jan, u think they would have decided by now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry lilsunflower my MUN babe:

Rejection from something you care about is awful, it really is. Don't listen to people who tell you to 'get over it': take as much time as you need. How you holding up?? If I can help in any way lemme know. You know what though, i think you are one of those people who will shine intrinsically, regardless of uni.

Hopefully start MUN club at Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat)
    ive still not heard from robinson!
    ne1 else not heard yet? and o my god its the 5th of jan, u think they would have decided by now!

Hey I still havent heard.....are you going to call them?

I've got a feeling they will be making decisions today and tomorrow after looking in the pool. And then they'll send out our letters either tomorrow or the day after

I think I am going to call my college now, I dont like all this guessing.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.