Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Like I said, it's not a necessity. How on earth did you get rejected? It's funny actually though, my friend is the same, 6As AS 11A* 2A gcse, applied for Classics + French and only got in for french.
    I can't know for certain why I was rejected (waiting for the report), though I don't think my interviews went that well and also those tests I did weren't so good. Also I applied for a very academic college (Merton). As I said, Oxbridge pretty much ignore exam grades.

Joint schools involving classics are always amongst the most heavily subscribed, for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzzy`)
    Some colleges don't like open applications. They feel that it's like you couldn't be asked to choose their college outright, so why should they choose you?
    i thought they dont know if u made an open one?

ReputationRep:
    Some colleges don't like open applications. They feel that it's like you couldn't be asked to choose their college outright, so why should they choose you?
    They don't know that you made an open application.

ReputationRep:
    the oxford applicants are so lucky! the wait is over for them

ReputationRep:
    This hypothetical interviewer/family friend has opened a mighty big can of worms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    They don't know that you made an open application.
    Oh but they do On your blue PAF form, it says College: OPEN on the front, as you have to fill in your college choice. The tricksters!

ReputationRep:
    This hypothetical interviewer/family friend has opened a mighty big can of worms.
    It's an interesting point though. I suppose any interviewer worth his or her salt would be able to remain completely unbiased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    the oxford applicants are so lucky! the wait is over for them
    Feel sorry for some friends of mine who didn't make it into Oxford. They must have had a depressing Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    GCSE's are a crap indicator of intelligence....I know someone who got straight A* but has no intelligence whatsoever. he justjust parrot learnt some revision book...(not saying you were stupid btw )
    I agree to a certain extent, but from looking at people in my school I would also say there is a definite correlation between GCSE/A-level grades and intelligence. You do still get some surprises though, in both directions.

ReputationRep:
    Oh but they do On your blue PAF form, it says College: OPEN on the front, as you have to fill in your college choice. The tricksters!
    Really? I was certain that they didn't know this..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    It's an interesting point though. I suppose any interviewer worth his or her salt would be able to remain completely unbiased.
    Depends how close a friend they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    The collegiate admissions system works in mysterious ways. :-o
    Some have strong convictions about their college, some lesser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I always thought they didn't know. But then it occured to me that the supplementary blue form you have to fill in has the college choice on the front of it!(and open if you choose so) and this form goes to the admissions tutors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    yeh someone told me this on the july general open day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    Depends how close a friend they are
    Haha! Family friend close enough?

ReputationRep:
    I always thought they didn't know. But then it occured to me that the supplementary blue form you have to fill in has the college choice on the front of it!(and open if you choose so) and this form goes to the admissions tutors.
    clever girl lizzzy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I agree to a certain extent, but from looking at people in my school I would also say there is a definite correlation between GCSE/A-level grades and intelligence. You do still get some surprises though, in both directions.
    If everyone worked the same amount there would be...sort of (I still think its a memory test mainly). But I guess Unis care about who'll get a first..and no matter how intelligent u are, if u doss about all the time u cant get one...so they do take them into consideration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    clever girl lizzzy!
    I was going to apply Open, but realised it would be a stupid mistake. All the Cambridge students I know advised me against this!

ReputationRep:
    The collegiate admissions system works in mysterious ways. :-o
    Some have strong convictions about their college, some lesser.
    i think its all the mystery surrounding the admissions process that makes oxbridge so scary!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought they'd let that stand in the way of admitting a quality student.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.