Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzzy`)
    I was going to apply Open, but realised it would be a stupid mistake. All the Cambridge students I know advised me against this!
    where did u end up applying and why?

ReputationRep:
    It's all a big conspiracy! When I went into my interviews they had photocopies of my of my extra Cambridge form in their hands! These clearly stated which college I was applying to, so they would have known if I was making an open application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    Depends how close a friend they are
    I know the conversation has moved on, but I went to get a drink and missed out. I would just like to make one last point on the calibre of students discussion. It is totally and utterly wrong to judge the calibre of students based on what job they end up in.

In Britain, and many other places, the subject of your degree (with the exception of medicine etc), including law, does not and should not determine the job you end up in. All the worthy employers now days (I think the official stat is 40% of employers in the uk) do not care about what degree you took, but the fact that you attained that level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    i think its all the mystery surrounding the admissions process that makes oxbridge so scary!
    There is sooooo much hype! For us, the mystery is over

ReputationRep:
    I was going to apply Open, but realised it would be a stupid mistake. All the Cambridge students I know advised me against this!
    It is worse for girls as they may be assigned a single sex environment against their wishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I wouldn't have thought they'd let that stand in the way of admitting a quality student.
    yes but if they absolutely love their college and u have the same ability as someone who directly applied to the college....who do u think theyll pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    I know the conversation has moved on, but I went to get a drink and missed out. I would just like to make one last point on the calibre of students discussion. It is totally and utterly wrong to judge the calibre of students based on what job they end up in.

In Britain, and many other places, the subject of your degree (with the exception of medicine etc), including law, does not and should not determine the job you end up in. All the worthy employers now days (I think the official stat is 40% of employers in the uk) do not care about what degree you took, but the fact that you attained that level.
    With some exceptions of course (e.g. media studies, david beckham studies )

ReputationRep:
    There is sooooo much hype! For us, the mystery is over
    ye exactly! whatever happens we can still say been there, done that, got the offer (or not!) lolz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    It's an interesting point though. I suppose any interviewer worth his or her salt would be able to remain completely unbiased.
    Interviewers are as human as anybody - it would be very naive to assume that in the scenario? you have described, the interviewer would be able to put aside their concerns about the future of their friendship with the family in the event of rejecting the applicant. This is why I maintain it would not be an act of friendship for the family to allow this situation to happen and if I were the interviews I would question just how much my friendship meant to them. This is the reasoning behind the practice of declaring an interest (in the professional meaning of the word) in the applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    With some exceptions of course (e.g. media studies, david beckham studies )
    is there seriously a course in david beckham? i know there is one for man utd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    where did u end up applying and why?
    Okay, firstly I wanted to apply to Christ's since Year 11. Then being the fickle being that I am I thought I would 'maximise chances' by going for Open. Later on realised it was a stupid thing to do, so went to the Christ's Open Day. Was thoroughly UNIMPRESSED. Bored would be the word. So went to visit Clare on a whim (was strolling through town one Saturday) and absolutely loved it. Got a free tour from one of the porters!(Hence saving on £2!) And that's what happened, in a nutshell.

ReputationRep:
    The admissions processes' hype is definitely undeserved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    ye exactly! whatever happens we can still say been there, done that, got the offer (or not!) lolz
    It has been a good, but stressful experience, one which we can pass on to our juniors on this forum! Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Interviewers are as human as anybody - it would be very naive to assume that in the scenario? you have described, the interviewer would be able to put aside their concerns about the future of their friendship with the family in the event of rejecting the applicant. This is why I maintain it would not be an act of friendship for the family to allow this situation to happen and if I were the interviews I would question just how much my friendship meant to them. This is the reasoning behind the practice of declaring an interest (in the professional meaning of the word) in the applicant.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    is there seriously a course in david beckham? i know there is one for man utd
    u have to be joking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    If everyone worked the same amount there would be...sort of (I still think its a memory test mainly). But I guess Unis care about who'll get a first..and no matter how intelligent u are, if u doss about all the time u cant get one...so they do take them into consideration
    I agree -- degree examinations probably require a similar combination of intelligence, hard work, and memorising that GCSEs/A-levels do (perhaps a bit more intelligence though, especially at Oxbridge and other top unis), and thus grades should be useful when deciding between candidates. However at Oxbridge most applicants have top notch grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    It is worse for girls as they may be assigned a single sex environment against their wishes.
    They can choose to reject the offer, should they be allocated into a single-sex college against their wishes. Just click "Decline offer" on ucas.com :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    u have to be joking
    i know crazy isnt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I agree.
    Perhaps we should consider studying philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Perhaps we should consider studying philosophy
    Where have you applied to, and for which course?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.