This discussion is closed.
lizzzy`
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
Yes, I noticed that too.

Perhaps that is the first criteria? I hope my interviewers fancied me....although I doubt this.
It was funny how you could spot the interviewees around Cambridge city centre during the week 8th-17th Dec. All dressed up in suits...shiny shoes...new bags...
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lizzzy`)
There are a lot of good-looking people at Cambridge.
Interviewers - like most humans - base their decisions on who to make offers to, not only on academic prowess but also facial features and size. Why do you think so many celebs etc. are more attractive than the average person?
Look around all unis that interview their candidates and you will see a preponderance of good-looking students.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
but then gcses dont always need hard work do they?!
No they don't You can get by on one week's revision.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm, I see your point. How well one does in interview depends on their ability to perform given the conditions. I guess the "hard work" thing is reflected in GCSEs/AS/A2 and extra-curricular activities?
Yes, way too much depends on the interview. They say it is only one part of the admissions process and not the most important.....but clearly from everyones experiences, the other stuff, eg A levels, written work, are just so that you can show that you have what it takes....the interview is then the major thing......

If you are bad at new meetings, but academically wonderful, why should you be rejected? If you suffer nerves and your mind goes blank at interview why should you lose out to someone of equal academic ability but better nerve management????

The admissions policy really needs to be re examined.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Interviewers - like most humans - base their decisions on who to make offers to, not only on academic prowess but also facial features and size. Why do you think so many celebs etc. are more attractive than the average person?
Look around all unis that interview their candidates and you will see a preponderance of good-looking students.
Yeah, I agree. A good-looking student might be more likely to be remembered during decision-making than a lesser one...?
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Well I think your looks may depend on your success in the media.

But I can't see a big pair of tits getting you far in a maths exam
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, way too much depends on the interview. They say it is only one part of the admissions process and not the most important.....but clearly from everyones experiences, the other stuff, eg A levels, written work, are just so that you can show that you have what it takes....the interview is then the major thing......

If you are bad at new meetings, but academically wonderful, why should you be rejected? If you suffer nerves and your mind goes blank at interview why should you lose out to someone of equal academic ability but better nerve management????

But with so many applicants sporting excellent academic records, how can they determine one's raw potential without interview?
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

It definitely does. Although I don't see any imminent change, not now, not in the next n number of centuries
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It was funny how you could spot the interviewees around Cambridge city centre during the week 8th-17th Dec. All dressed up in suits...shiny shoes...new bags...
I didnt wear a suit.....i really wanted to wear jeans and I almost did. When I got there there was this girl in Jeans about to be interviewed for natsci.

TBH I dont even think the interviewers looked at my clothes......but I think they more than noticed my gold tooth shining in the sunshine everytime I spoke
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)

Unless ofcourse you have a question on sketching curves.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)

Good point. Haha.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didnt wear a suit.....i really wanted to wear jeans and I almost did. When I got there there was this girl in Jeans about to be interviewed for natsci.

TBH I dont even think the interviewers looked at my clothes......but I think they more than noticed my gold tooth shining in the sunshine everytime I spoke
You have a gold tooth?
I didn't even bother with a suit, just some smart clothing. Jeans might be pushing it a little bit though.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Unless ofcourse you have a question on sketching curves.
Lol
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
But with so many applicants sporting excellent academic records, how can they determine one's raw potential without interview?
I think it is pretty much impossible. The things somebody can assess at interview are very trivial - and interviewers have been known to get it wrong many a time. They say the policy is a lottery right now, I think it would be a 'fairer' lottery if they made it a little less biased, and perhaps a bit more random
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)

I guess the tits won't, especially if you're a male. But seriously, I do believe that if you have all the necessary requirements academically, an attractive appearance may swing it in your favour if the other person who's as good academically as you but not so favourable on the eye. I'm not saying this is any way fair but it happens all the time in all situations. Humans are suckers for facial features - something to do with the mating instinct I guess
manu
Report 16 years ago
You have a gold tooth?
I didn't even bother with a suit, just some smart clothing. Jeans might be pushing it a little bit though.
same with me. didnt dare wearing jeans as all of mine are pretty worn off and i didnt want to make that impression...
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You have a gold tooth?
Yeah, dunno what they thought of my tooth...they kept staring into my mouth.....or perhaps they were thinking "such lovely lips, I would love to snog him"??? god knows.

I think I would have been ok in Jeans. besides, they want to simulate a supervision...i would never dream of wearning anything other than jeans to a tutorial......
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I guess the tits won't, especially if you're a male. But seriously, I do believe that if you have all the necessary requirements academically, an attractive appearance may swing it in your favour if the other person who's as good academically as you but not so favourable on the eye. I'm not saying this is any way fair but it happens all the time in all situations. Humans are suckers for facial features - something to do with the mating instinct I guess
Let's hope my interviewer was gay then
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it is pretty much impossible. The things somebody can assess at interview are very trivial - and interviewers have been known to get it wrong many a time. They say the policy is a lottery right now, I think it would be a 'fairer' lottery if they made it a little less biased, and perhaps a bit more random
I would have thought that interviews were an ideal place to assess candidates' potential and enthusiasm. Because so many people are attaining straight As nowadays they need a way of distinguishing candidates.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by manu)
same with me. didnt dare wearing jeans as all of mine are pretty worn off and i didnt want to make that impression...
Someone who applied to Oxford a few years ago went dressed pretty scruffily...and the interview report came back and half of it was about his scruffiness...so not such a good idea:|
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.8%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.48%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (103)
34.68%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.76%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.39%

Watched Threads