Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I would have thought that interviews were an ideal place to assess candidates' potential and enthusiasm. Because so many people are attaining straight As nowadays they need a way of distinguishing candidates.
    Well how do you display TRUE enthusiasm? and even more important, Potential?

People watch much television nowadays, and acting tips are readily available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I would have thought that interviews were an ideal place to assess candidates' potential and enthusiasm. Because so many people are attaining straight As nowadays they need a way of distinguishing candidates.
    i agree.

esp with comparing international and british applicants, who come from completely different school systems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Yeah, dunno what they thought of my tooth...they kept staring into my mouth.....or perhaps they were thinking "such lovely lips, I would love to snog him"??? god knows.

I think I would have been ok in Jeans. besides, they want to simulate a supervision...i would never dream of wearning anything other than jeans to a tutorial......
    Maybe it would have been ok. But what if your interview was some pompous old don who thinks everyone should be dressed in suits?
    (for example)

ReputationRep:
    Well how do you display TRUE enthusiasm? and even more important, Potential?

People watch much television nowadays, and acting tips are readily available.
    The simple fact remains that interviewsers need a way to set candidates apart and a face to face meeting is the best way to do it. I am not suggesting for a minute that the interviews are foolproof, but they seem to be as good as it gets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzzy`)
    Someone who applied to Oxford a few years ago went dressed pretty scruffily...and the interview report came back and half of it was about his scruffiness...so not such a good idea:|
    do we all get an interview report? how can we find out what they thought of us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu)
    i agree.

esp with comparing international and british applicants, who come from completely different school systems...
    Is it not true that international applicants are not called for interview?

Clearly, Oxbridge do not feel that interviews are all that useful for comparing these kinds of applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu)
    i agree.

International applicants get asked stuff which is more on the Personal Statement than anything else, and less of the random, logic questions that Cambridge throws at the British applicants.
    So if you like, the International application seems to be an easier one. But on the other hand, places are very limited, and set with a quota.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu)
    do we all get an interview report? how can we find out what they thought of us?
    Your school/college should probably receive one automatically, but I think in most cases it is only if you get rejected You can get your tutor/head to write to them to ask, if you like. Don't know if they will oblige you though, depends on the college and how busy they are?

ReputationRep:

Clearly, Oxbridge do not feel that interviews are all that useful for comparing these kinds of applications.
    well im not an international applicant (coz germany does happen to be part of the EU), but i'm not from england (well, yes originally i am, but for now:i'm not) and did get an interview.

lizzy is right, i hardly got any logical questions in either interview, but then again i am applying for architecture and it was all more about my portfolio.

ReputationRep:

Some are, and some aren't. Dr Bowkett, the admissions tutor for Christ's, travels to Singapore and Malaysia each year to interview applicants there (for most colleges, not only Christ's, for science subs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu)
    well im not an international applicant (coz germany does happen to be part of the EU), but i'm not from england (well, yes originally i am, but for now:i'm not) and did get an interview.

lizzy is right, i hardly got any logical questions in either interview, but then again i am applying for architecture and it was all more about my portfolio.
    They would be more interested in your portfolio rather than trying to see how you think on your feet because it is Architecture

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy owns all other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    The simple fact remains that interviewsers need a way to set candidates apart and a face to face meeting is the best way to do it. I am not suggesting for a minute that the interviews are foolproof, but they seem to be as good as it gets.
    Yes, I agree - the simple fact is that interviewers need a way to set candidates apart. a face to face meeting may seem the best option at first.....but hundreds of years of experience have shown that it doesnt work well. Interviewers have feelings, and a naive interviewee may make a stupid mistake that offends the interviewee and thats the end of it for them! For example, I once knew someone whose int was going well until at the end he said "you do know that imp coll have made me an offer". The interviewer clearly thought he was trying some kind of 'blackmail' - for want of a better/more appropriate word. Now should this idiotic comment mean he should not be made an offer, despite almost having it in the bag prior to his silly statement?

It would be just as 'fair' to pick names out of a hat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzzy`)
    They would be more interested in your portfolio rather than trying to see how you think on your feet because it is Architecture
    exactly.

although they did ask me some architectural questions, would have been surprised if not ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Philosophy owns all other subjects!
    Medicine rocks

ReputationRep:
    Not really. The hat is a complete lottery; whether you make idiotic comments or not isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu)
    exactly.

although they did ask me some architectural questions, would have been surprised if not ;-)
    Haha. I would have been worried if I was applying for Architecture and they didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Not really. The hat is a complete lottery; whether you make idiotic comments or not isn't.
    I think the general rule would be try not to behave in an offensive manner

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree - the simple fact is that interviewers need a way to set candidates apart. a face to face meeting may seem the best option at first.....but hundreds of years of experience have shown that it doesnt work well. Interviewers have feelings, and a naive interviewee may make a stupid mistake that offends the interviewee and thats the end of it for them! For example, I once knew someone whose int was going well until at the end he said "you do know that imp coll have made me an offer". The interviewer clearly thought he was trying some kind of 'blackmail' - for want of a better/more appropriate word. Now should this idiotic comment mean he should not be made an offer, despite almost having it in the bag prior to his silly statement?

It would be just as 'fair' to pick names out of a hat.
    it would be fair. and thats (partly) what they do in germany, resulting in there being no such standout unis as (oxbridge) in britain.

ReputationRep:
    My outfit was basically, black loafers, black chinos, pink shirt with jumper of the top, I think that was adequate At least I hope so

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.