The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Seer
My outfit was basically, black loafers, black chinos, pink shirt with jumper of the top, I think that was adequate :smile: At least I hope so :smile:

I wore a pink shirt with a jumper on top too! Haha. Only the pink was pinstriped.
Seer
Not really. The hat is a complete lottery; whether you make idiotic comments or not isn't.

I am in favour of a complete lottery. Once you meet the academic requirements you are good enough. Sorry if this sounds like an over simplification.

If needed, entry exams should be given. Interviews should not be totally abolished. Perhaps after names have been drawn out of a hat, interviews should take place (but perhaps this would undermine the whole random method???).

I just think far too much of the interviewers personal preferences have denied perfectly suitable young men and women of an oxbridge degree.
Reply 442
Mentally Ill
I am in favour of a complete lottery. Once you meet the academic requirements you are good enough. Sorry if this sounds like an over simplification.

If needed, entry exams should be given. Interviews should not be totally abolished. Perhaps after names have been drawn out of a hat, interviews should take place (but perhaps this would undermine the whole random method???).

I just think far too much of the interviewers personal preferences have denied perfectly suitable young men and women of an oxbridge degree.

Maybe they should interview for borderline candidates, or for subjects such as teaching and law only. In Ireland (ROI) the system is basically a lottery based upon how high your grades are.
Reply 443
Mentally Ill

IMO it's better to be picked on grades + manner than grades + lottery. And don't say manner is something that will put the toffs in the best position; anyone with common sense (and a social life) knows please,thankyou, handshakes, etc.
lizzzy`
I wore a pink shirt with a jumper on top too! Haha. Only the pink was pinstriped.

I wore a beige tank with a white shirt underneath. A beige pair of cords and some burberry dessert boots (they are actually shoes). I think I looked like a member of an ivy league school :smile:
Reply 445
black shoes/trousers. white striped shirt.
Reply 446
Mentally Ill
I wore a beige tank with a white shirt underneath. A beige pair of cords and some burberry dessert boots (they are actually shoes). I think I looked like a member of an ivy league school :smile:

Well the preppy student look is good, imho!
What has gone on here, this is supposed to be about Cambridge rejections/acceptances, and it is 22 pages even without n e one even getting a reply :smile: :smile:

btw i wore a suit
Reply 448
keithy
What has gone on here, this is supposed to be about Cambridge rejections/acceptances, and it is 22 pages even without n e one even getting a reply :smile: :smile:

btw i wore a suit

I guess we got a little carried away:smile: There are a lot of Cambridge rejections/offers threads cropping up...

A suit is good if that's what you were comfortable in! I wouldn't be.
Seer
IMO it's better to be picked on grades + manner than grades + lottery. And don't say manner is something that will put the toffs in the best position; anyone with common sense (and a social life) knows please,thankyou, handshakes, etc.

This is totally and utterly ridiculous. Manners have nothing to do with it!

Yes, good manners are desirable, but it is wrong to deny someone entry because their manners are NOT AS GOOD as thier competitors. And remember....many of the interviewers will have different ideas of what good manners is compared to someone from a totally different culture.

For example, I may have been brought up to beleive that to challenge an elder's point of view is bad manners....now if i were faced with a situation where the interview wanted to tear one of my ideas to shreds...i would just accept it and not defend my point of view out of good manners. I would also be rejected. How fair is that??????

I think we can safely say that anyone achieving excellent a level grades will likely know the basics of good manners.
Reply 450
keithy

btw i wore a suit

the buzz in this thread is amazing, compared to the last two days...
lizzzy`
Well the preppy student look is good, imho!

Yes, well it is in stark contrast to my gun totting thug look. I couldnt have gone to see them in all my bling bling.
Reply 452
manu
the buzz in this thread is amazing, compared to the last two days...

*BUZZ*
Reply 453
38hrs and 15 minutes till Cambridge response arrives!
Reply 454
Mentally Ill
This is totally and utterly ridiculous. Manners have nothing to do with it!

Yes, good manners are desirable, but it is wrong to deny someone entry because their manners are NOT AS GOOD as thier competitors. And remember....many of the interviewers will have different ideas of what good manners is compared to someone from a totally different culture.

For example, I may have been brought up to beleive that to challenge an elder's point of view is bad manners....now if i were faced with a situation where the interview wanted to tear one of my ideas to shreds...i would just accept it and not defend my point of view out of good manners. I would also be rejected. How fair is that??????

I think we can safely say that anyone achieving excellent a level grades will likely know the basics of good manners.

I agree with you but the thing is going to a Cambridge interview, you have to be mentally prepared to be challenged, and have your ideas ripped to shreds because that's what it's about-they want to push you and see if you can defend your point of view. And unfortunately sometimes it is the case that one has been brought up not to challenge an elder's pov, but in the context of the interview that has to go out the window.
Reply 455
Seer

I hope mine arrives in approximately 13 hours time.
Reply 456
Seer

so thats another 36,485 posts?
how do u ppl know its gonna come 2moro?
lizzzy`
I agree with you but the thing is going to a Cambridge interview, you have to be mentally prepared to be challenged, and have your ideas ripped to shreds because that's what it's about-they want to push you and see if you can defend your point of view. And unfortunately sometimes it is the case that one has been brought up not to challenge an elder's pov, but in the context of the interview that has to go out the window.

This is exactly why interviews should not be the main way of assessing. Surely within a few supervisions, one who is not accustomed to defending their povs orally - as they will have had to do this in writing at a level! - will acquire this skill.
Reply 459
keithy
how do u ppl know its gonna come 2moro?

as far as i know the date we agreed on was the 31st, wasnt it?

Latest

Trending

Trending