This discussion is closed.
DonnaB041986
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Well in my case, I made stuff up which was blatantly scientifically wrong but it wasn't lying, it was just pulling at straws And what exactly do you mean by lying? Because I did say I loved biochemistry (because I didn't mind talking about it), when I only like it a teeny weeny bit That said, I know a few people who lied outright on their UCAS form and didn't get caught out!
i had to explain why i've applied for maths but doing an a-level in english language. hmm... i had a choice of the truth (i was forced by the head of 6th form who said i would get easier offers if i took 4 a levels) or bending the truth ("i enjoy having variation in my subjects, and i find english lang interesting")

Donna
-x-
akk713
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Wong)
I'm also from Hong Kong here...been following the thread but haven't been posting.
Applied to Churchill for Nat.Sci. (Physical)
The wait is getting really bad...most of you are expecting the reply in the next day or two...but for us over here....may take up to 10 days!
My friend who got his reply from Oxford recieved his letter 10 days after it was posted...sigh.
I don't want to go into my bio exam thinking about cambridge! =\
My friend who applied to Oxford got hers on the christmas Eve so I think that wouldn't take long? Did your friend get an offer?
-Jon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DonnaB041986)
surely oxbridge would have the sense to post international students' letters a bit earlier than home students? i can't have taken them over 2 weeks to decide who they want.

Donna
-x-
Nope - my Oxford friends only found out 3-4 days ago about their applicantions, whilst everyone else in the UK seems to have found about at least a week earlier than that.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by akk713)
Hey Lucy what did you get for your BMAT?
Is it above average still??
my friend didn't even get an interview but he had excellent grades!
Do you think reference and PS count?
If you really want to know, you can PM me It was above the average for oxbridge applicants (average was 5). Also, to gain an interview, you needed an average of 5 if you had 10A*s. I don't think reference and PS counted much because I'm sure everyone's was of similar standards. It made a big difference whether or not you applied to colleges with a high application : place ratio - I count myself lucky because I have a feeling I only just managed to get through deselection as my college was heavily oversubscribed. One of my friends got through deselection with pretty poor GCSE grades and an average BMAT performance but she applied to a college with a low application : place ratio.
Omer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey guys.. anyone who applied to King's for SPS?? I'm from Turkey and I think it'll be ages till the post comes... Do you think they'll email me my decision? Thanx
-Jon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My friend who applied to Oxford got hers on the christmas Eve so I think that wouldn't take long? Did your friend get an offer?
He did, and it was AAA for Maths and Philosophy. I forget which Oxford college it was.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DonnaB041986)
i had to explain why i've applied for maths but doing an a-level in english language. hmm... i had a choice of the truth (i was forced by the head of 6th form who said i would get easier offers if i took 4 a levels) or bending the truth ("i enjoy having variation in my subjects, and i find english lang interesting")

Donna
-x-
Ah right, I'm positive anyone who was in the same position as you would have said exactly the same thing!
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Omer)
Hey guys.. anyone who applied to King's for SPS?? I'm from Turkey and I think it'll be ages till the post comes... Do you think they'll email me my decision? Thanx
No chance of an e-mail I'm afraid, you'll have to wait for the post
Wong
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by -Jon)
Haha, I didn't expect to find you here Wong! Actually, Gabriel had to wait 9 days for his letter to come, but that was probably also due to the Christmas Holiday (and Boxing Day).

I applied to Christ's for Medicine, and it said in a FAQ sheet they gave me that all offers are sent out on the same day. So if Jesus and Clare are said to give offers today, then it should be the same for everyone.
Gab had Christmas Holidays but we also have New Years!
Either way, my interviewer said I would get a reply roundabout Christmas, so I've been anticipating since then! If he told me early Jan...then i would've forgotten about it until January =P
-Jon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Omer)
Apparently they only snail-mail out their acceptance/rejection letters so I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait like the rest of us overseas people
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by -Jon)
He did, and it was AAA for Maths and Philosophy. I forget which Oxford college it was.
Cambridge destroys Oxford for philosophy!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Omer)
You would only be emailed if you asked really nicely when you had your interview. It isn't general practice so it would have been an 'off the record' type of thing So nope, they wont email you unless you asked and they agreed. Good luck anyway !
akk713
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
If you really want to know, you can PM me It was above the average for oxbridge applicants (average was 5). Also, to gain an interview, you needed an average of 5 if you had 10A*s. I don't think reference and PS counted much because I'm sure everyone's was of similar standards. It made a big difference whether or not you applied to colleges with a high application : place ratio - I count myself lucky because I have a feeling I only just managed to get through deselection as my college was heavily oversubscribed. One of my friends got through deselection with pretty poor GCSE grades and an average BMAT performance but she applied to a college with a low application : place ratio.
Oh now I'm worried because I applied for engineering at quite a popular college at cam!!
-Jon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Wong)
Either way, my interviewer said I would get a reply roundabout Christmas, so I've been anticipating since then! If he told me early Jan...then i would've forgotten about it until January =P
According to
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/defa...erformance.xml
it takes 2.7 working days for mail to reach Hong Kong.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh now I'm worried because I applied for engineering at quite a popular college at cam!!
No no, what I said only applied to medicine at Oxford! Did your medical applicant friend get rejected pre-interview from Cambridge? - because that's odd :confused:
akk713
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Wong)
Where did you have your interviews
akk713
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
No no, what I said only applied to medicine at Oxford! Did your medical applicant friend get rejected pre-interview from Cambridge? - because that's odd :confused:
nono he applied to Oxford! I know Oxford was deselecting many applicants even before interviews and cambridge virtually interviewed all of them.
Wong
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by -Jon)
According to
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/defa...erformance.xml
it takes 2.7 working days for mail to reach Hong Kong.
well well, someone has been doing their research!
-Jon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I may be new to the forums, but is this a record big thread for UKL?
Wong
Report 16 years ago
Where did you have your interviews
I had my interview in Hong Kong. It seems to depend on the college you applied to I think? as the interviewer does not represent all of the colleges?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.8%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.48%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (103)
34.68%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.76%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.39%

Watched Threads