Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    nono he applied to Oxford! I know Oxford was deselecting many applicants even before interviews and cambridge virtually interviewed all of them.
    Ah ok, that makes sense then. Oxford's medical school received a lot of complaints this year from 'perfect' candidates who were rejected pre-interview (they only interviewed about 35% of applicants due to oversubscription).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wong)
    I had my interview in Hong Kong. It seems to depend on the college you applied to I think? as the interviewer does not represent all of the colleges?
    Oh so what questions did you get asked??

maybe they didn't like me so they had me travel for a long way :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Ah ok, that makes sense then. Oxford's medical school received a lot of complaints this year from 'perfect' candidates who were rejected pre-interview (they only interviewed about 35% of applicants due to oversubscription).
    Ouch! 35%? One of my friends in Hong Kong apparently (i haven't heard directly from her yet) got an offer for medicine into Oxford. I heard she got about 6.0-6.5ish on both her BMAT papers so that might explain it a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Hey so you managed to get through the pre-selection plus the interview process... well done!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    Ouch! 35%? One of my friends in Hong Kong apparently (i haven't heard directly from her yet) got an offer for medicine into Oxford. I heard she got about 6.0-6.5ish on both her BMAT papers so that might explain it a bit.
    Hey Jon and Wong do you all go to international schools

ReputationRep:

In the CAF, there was that little box asking if you were available for interview in the UK. I ticked it, and was made to fly a whole 12 hours to Cambridge for my interview. Strangely, all of the other Cambridge appilcants from my school were interviewed locally though. Anyway, I wanted to visit Cambridge anway so I'm not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    Hey -Jon...I applied to christs for medicine too...

was ur interview at cam or overseas

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jon and Wong do you all go to international schools
    Yep - actually we're in the same one, and in the same class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    In the CAF, there was that little box asking if you were available for interview in the UK. I ticked it, and was made to fly a whole 12 hours to Cambridge for my interview. Strangely, all of the other Cambridge appilcants from my school were interviewed locally though. Anyway, I wanted to visit Cambridge anway so I'm not complaining.
    I didn't tick it! I was damn sure I did NOT tick that box!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    I heard she got about 6.0-6.5ish on both her BMAT papers so that might explain it a bit.
    With a score like that she definitely deserved to get in ! And thanks akk !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    Hey -Jon...I applied to christs for medicine too...

was ur interview at cam or overseas
    At Cambridge, but I'm an overseas applicant. What day was your interview? Mine was on the 9th of December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    and i was complaining of a 4hr drive!!

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonnaB041986)
    and i was complaining of a 4hr drive!!

Donna
    -x-
    so shut up

ReputationRep:

Since you only get one interview in HK...he didn't really ask me any personal questions.
    State Newton's Laws of motions
    He asked me what would happen to an object in free fall...i explained how it reaches terminal velocity etc. and then he asked me if i could express this as a formula
    Next...A planet in orbit, dicuss the forces and work out the force pulling one planet to the other...this is basically Newton's law of gravitation.
    A violin, work out the resultant force that pulls the string back to it's original position after being pulled up. I was kinda stupid here...very simple but I didn't really see it until he said "I've exxagarated the diagram a bit, we could perhaps model the string as a straight line" and then it all came to me =P
    He asked something to do with the sound box of the violin...can't remember exactly now.
    and then a chem question - he first showed me a Bronsted -Lowry acid base reaction, and then he showed me a Lewis acid base reaction (which i did not know) and asked me if that was an acid base reaction, initially i said no, and it took quite a while until i finally realised that it was.
    Maths questions was the easiest, sketch graph of y=0 when x<=0, y=x when x>0
    diffrentiate it and sketch
    diffrentiate it again and sketch
    and then realise that you dun get the same result when you integrate, point out why that may be the case.

phew...yeah that's it...
    I also managed to read one of his comments at the very start:
    "Speaks good english"
    Oh well at least i know there is something positive about me there haha =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    I wouldnt say that..I got 7.1 and 7.5 on my BMAT papers...
    Flippin heck - you Christ's lot are in a world of your own ! Good luck (not that I even believe you need it anymore ) and have faith in yourself !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    I wouldnt say that..I got 7.1 and 7.5 on my BMAT papers...
    Well, congratulations on getting that score - anyone who gets that deserves at least a pat on the back.

(Original post by al65)
    on 8th..had edwardson..bowkett and gillard
    Same here... did you get asked about aspirin tablets, control of the heartbeat, euthanasia and the veinous circulation from the foor to the heart as well?

ReputationRep:
    so shut up
    fine, i will!! i gotta go anyway. bye bye

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonnaB041986)
    fine, i will!! i gotta go anyway. bye bye

Donna
    -x-
    where're you going?
    bye and good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wong)
    I also managed to read one of his comments at the very start:
    "Speaks good english"
    Haha, he actually wrote that? Mind you, I met some other overseas applicants in Cambridge and their English was a little shaky so it's probably understandable (no pun intended).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    the veinous circulation from the foor to the heart as well?
    I know someone at Cam who got asked about that last year! Not at Christ's though, St John's .

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.