This discussion is closed.
manu
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lizzzy`)
Hmm...on the rushing to get 1000th Post.
ic
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lolz how come everyone is doing medicine? No Law?
al65
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Emmanuel.
i knwo someone who got asked if the surface area of a protein changes if you fold it differently or something like that...answers apparently no thats for emma for medicine btw
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lucy did your interviewers push you really hard to answer qs?
I think so - I ended at the correct answer (through pushing and hinting) to pretty much every question they asked minus the 'logical thinking' one (where they said that all my ideas were wrong but it didn't matter because they just wanted to see the way I think - I love those type of questions !). I think in two cases they outright told me the answer and even when I said "Sorry, I don't know." they were always "No reason for you to say sorry, you may not have come across it yet in biology/chemistry." - So nice !

All my interviewers were really lovely (although some were very scary) and were patient if I got it wrong/helped me if I was going round in circles.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was so pissed off after the **** I was asked in my interviews. I knew so much biology, but for some reason I was only asked on my weakest areas. I was asked how to do a microarray, about southen blotting, hybrid DNA strands, links between genetics and intelligence, differing action between steroids and hormones, how many genes are on Y, will Y ever become extinct, how chromosomes pair in prophase 1, communication between cells, how female hormones play an important role in regulation of sperm cell development in the male, and a bunch of other stuff....
All you medical students are making me feel dumb
-Jon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by al65)
The euthanasia one was really good coz he just asked me to argue out both sides as a barrister..no need to give opinion
Yeah, I really enjoyed that question because I had a lot to say. Strangely, I spent so much time arguing for it (which isn't what I personally believe in), and not against it. He cut me off before I could say anymore, but it was a good kind of cutting off "that's good, discussing patient's rights... mm hmm... [scribbling on his pad]".
manu
Report 16 years ago
Emmanuel.
i thought of applying to emmanuel (my uncle went there). but sometimes they dont even have a single architect there, one would be th emost they accept. so i went for jesus instead...still in architecture theres about a 10 to 1 ratio of applicants and places available
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by al65)
i knwo someone who got asked if the surface area of a protein changes if you fold it differently or something like that...answers apparently no

That sounds strange. I would have thought it would change if it was folded such that the faces touched.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
too many posts here!
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
I think so - I ended at the correct answer (through pushing and hinting) to pretty much every question they asked minus the 'logical thinking' one (where they said that all my ideas were wrong but it didn't matter because they just wanted to see the way I think - I love those type of questions !). I think in two cases they outright told me the answer and even when I said "Sorry, I don't know." they were always "No reason for you to say sorry, you may not have come across it yet in biology/chemistry." - So nice !

All my interviewers were really lovely (although some were very scary) and were patient if I got it wrong/helped me if I was going round in circles.
Sounds like you had really nice interviewers Mine were nice, but very scary when questioning.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Im not a medical student, lol.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Im not a medical student, lol.
Natsci?
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Natsci?

Indeed.
manu
Report 16 years ago
"When you send your letters and small packets by Special Delivery, First and Second Class mail, you can count on us for a fast, affordable and reliable service - and we're not the only ones who think so." royal mail
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by -Jon)
Well, I'm afraid I can't beat that one But what really matter is whether you were at ease with the whole thing. If you could laugh it off, it shows you're not afraid to make mistakes so it's a good thing still.
lol, didn't think you'd be able to ! I think it's really important for applicants to remain as calm as possible - I was verging on carelessness/jumping to the wrong conclusions too quickly when I was nervous. It's pretty much how Oxford describe it in this booklet they sent me - that applicants need to find a balance between hardly daring to say anything (for fear of saying something silly) and answering questions without thinking carefully. The latter is what happened with respect to that blood question !
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by manu)
"When you send your letters and small packets by Special Delivery, First and Second Class mail, you can count on us for a fast, affordable and reliable service - and we're not the only ones who think so." royal mail
Really, because I wonder who else thinks so.
Having said that I have faith in the Royal Mail, that they'll deliver post promptly tomorrow morning.
al65
Report 16 years ago
That sounds strange. I would have thought it would change if it was folded such that the faces touched.
I dont know tbh...he didnt tell me the whole question properly...I was actually surprised myself too! Must have not got full story
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by al65)
I dont know tbh...he didnt tell me the whole question properly...I was actually surprised myself too! Must have not got full story

Perhaps it's to do with the globular nature of an enzyme.
al65
Report 16 years ago
Perhaps it's to do with the globular nature of an enzyme.
that might be it actually...so you applied 4 biological natsci then??
manu
Report 16 years ago
damn. look what i found:

Average measured performance (working days):

Germany - 2.2

sounds like the 2 or 3rd of january, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (40)
13.51%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.53%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (103)
34.8%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.8%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.96%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.41%

Watched Threads