This discussion is closed.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Have u heard of the chances of getting in this year? Apparently for Downing its about 20apps/place this year. Thats wot Ive heard anyway.
Woah 20?? No way! Oh lordy. Hehe.. okie. I'm kinda messed up then. For law? *flings self into cellar and throws away the key*
paymaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Woah 20?? No way! Oh lordy. Hehe.. okie. I'm kinda messed up then. For law? *flings self into cellar and throws away the key*
Don't just write off your application like that. It's rather defeatist!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Have u heard of the chances of getting in this year? Apparently for Downing its about 20apps/place this year. Thats wot Ive heard anyway.
Where on earth did you get that figure from?!
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think they tend to 'push' you too much in interviews for arts subjects; although I did get some fairly abstract questions..

1. How would you persuade a friend to go to an art gallery instead of a disco?

2. Is thatcherism fair?

3. How was Ayer influenced the debate on religious language (not so bad actually)

4. Does the study of philosophy have any intrinsic value?

etc
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's what I was thinking.. 20 is a bit much right? I thought the average was about 5 for most colleges. I went to the Downing website and they were saying it was about 8 or 9 apps per place.. but not all these people get interviewed.. so it's lowered to about 5. How 20?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
I don't think they tend to 'push' you too much in interviews for arts subjects; although I did get some fairly abstract questions..

2. Is thatcherism fair?

3. How was Ayer influenced the debate on religious language (not so bad actually)

etc
yuck @ all those questions (that said, I am not an arts student ). The good things about some of my interviews was that they made up questions right up on the spot (depending on what I said) so it felt more like a conversation which progressed rather than a 'proper interview'.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
yuck @ all those questions (that said, I am not an arts student ). The good things about some of my interviews was that they made up questions right up on the spot (depending on what I said) so it felt more like a conversation which progressed rather than a 'proper interview'.
You can replace philosophy in question 4 by pretty much any academic subject and the answer you can give can remain entirely the same.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Mine too. Myinterviewers were really nice. One dude interviewed my history teacher when he was 16.. and my history teacher is now 60 so we're guessing the guy was 80.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)

2. Is thatcherism fair?

etc
hey those questions were pretty tough
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Now I'm interested to know.. How did you answer those questions if you don't mind sharing... lolz.. I couldn't have answered them myself. And how did they expect you to know all that?
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lizzzy`)
Okay, here is one I got asked:

The following is the number of deaths, per town in the year 1999.

Town A : 50 deaths
Town B : 100 deaths
Town C : 150 deaths

Which of these towns would you choose to live in?
Depends how many people live in each town.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Yeah, it was something like that and other factors too.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Okay, here is one I got asked:

The following is the number of deaths, per town in the year 1999.

Town A : 50 deaths
Town B : 100 deaths
Town C : 150 deaths

Which of these towns would you choose to live in?
What did you answer? If it were me I'd say that the statistics don't show anything relevant except the number of deaths and I'd need more information to choose.. like the population of each town would be helpful. But what did you say?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theone)
ah....such lateral thinking!
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What did you answer? If it were me I'd say that the statistics don't show anything relevant except the number of deaths and I'd need more information to choose.. like the population of each town would be helpful. But what did you say?
We ended up discussing the factors e.g. population, age dist. etc.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, it was something like that and other factors too.
I suppose even if u didnt come to the right answer but u could justify ur choice and then accept u r wrong when corrected, ud b ok
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lolz pretty goood. I hope you get in *smiles*. I wish mine had gone so smoothly. They asked really up in the air questions that I hadn't a clue about. However, the technical interview was so much better. I could tell that they liked my answers because I went slowly and thought hard. HOwever, the general one was waaaaay too much for me. I felt they were cornering me.
caius
Report 16 years ago
this thread is saturated with anxiety
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lolz pretty goood. I hope you get in *smiles*. I wish mine had gone so smoothly. They asked really up in the air questions that I hadn't a clue about. However, the technical interview was so much better. I could tell that they liked my answers because I went slowly and thought hard. HOwever, the general one was waaaaay too much for me. I felt they were cornering me.
Don't worry too much. Tomorrow will come, soon enough. Only 14 hrs to go...
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caius)
this thread is saturated with anxiety
It's about 50 pages of anxiety.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (39)
13.27%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.63%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (102)
34.69%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.86%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
22.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.44%

Watched Threads