Cambridge rejections/acceptances Watch

This discussion is closed.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
I think it also depends on how the interviewee reacts to being grilled. If they can see he/she is reacting well or can cope then they will be more willing to keep on pushing rather than if the interviewee looks like he's/she's about to cry (unless they're really evil ).
Haha. Okie yeh they kept pushing me into a corner until I told them that I was sorry that I think I had some errors in my argument and another option would be appropriate. Then they stopped pushing.
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
It's bad for the following four reasons:

1) Impossible to have free markets in some privatised industries
2) Government watchdogs / regulation ensure the political element remains; privatisation is rarely independent
3) Markets can fail. Private companies motivated by profits and accountable only to shareholders do not provide the best consumer services
4) Nationalised industries have a minister who is accountable to the electorate

And those would be my debating notes
-Yeah, but it's better than having a command economy. The best system is undoubtedly a mix between privatisation and nationalisation; shifting more towards the private sector.

-Actually it's the other way round. Companies are forced to provide good quality goods at cheap prices because the free market pushes uncompetitive firms out of business (c.f. nationalised industries). The only exceptions to this rule are monopolies and oligopolies; there is legislation to prevent these acting unfairly. For isntance, you can split up a monopoly, deregulate a market or most obviously, buy it(where it seems monopoly is an inevitability, when selling water, for example.)

-Businesses are accountable to government bodies who are accountable to the electorate
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
I wonder if any admissions tutor has cast an eye over ukl.........
if they did im sure theyll be suprised at the level of obsession!
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Hmm I'm not too sure if there are certain things in maths that people assume that are iincredibly complex to prove, especially at an elementary level.
Can't you prove somehow that 1+1=0 or something? I'm sure there's a lot of stuff about 0 people outside mathematics don't see. The point was merely made to show philosophy is a lot less flippant in defining value than other subjects would be; that's in the subject's nature, and that's what makes the question of value so sticky.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
if they did im sure theyll be suprised at the level of obsession!
You think? Nah...
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sue!)
I think just reading this thread is making my more worried!

My post came at 11:00 this morning. I hope its not so late tomorrow!
i bet we'll all be sitting by the postbox looking at it in complete agony ,,,,waiting for that long awaited piece of paper!
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
I think it also depends on how the interviewee reacts to being grilled. If they can see he/she is reacting well or can cope then they will be more willing to keep on pushing rather than if the interviewee looks like he's/she's about to cry (unless they're really evil ).
This was my problem, I struggled a little bit at the start because I'd done a question wrong in the test, and afterwards, I didn't feel that they were pushing me at all.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Haha. Okie yeh they kept pushing me into a corner until I told them that I was sorry that I think I had some errors in my argument and another option would be appropriate. Then they stopped pushing.
It's much better to admit the flaws in your arguement rather than digging yourself into a hole so I think you made the right choice! And after they probably thought you needed a rest
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
Can't you prove somehow that 1+1=0 or something? I'm sure there's a lot of stuff about 0 people outside mathematics don't see. The point was merely made to show philosophy is a lot less flippant in defining value than other subjects would be; that's in the subject's nature, and that's what makes the question of value so sticky.
-1 + 1 = 0.......i think
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
-1 + 1 = 0.......i think
13 hours to go...
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
It's much better to admit the flaws in your arguement rather than digging yourself into a hole so I think you made the right choice! And after they probably thought you needed a rest
Yeah but here, again you have to strike a balance; between defending views and being open minded.
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lizzzy`)
13 hours to go...
If it doesn't arrive by post I'm going to collect it manually.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
I wish I could say that! Look at where I live *points*.... 2 weeks! I'm going to go MAD.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
Three days of staggered sleep patterns..
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
13 hours to go...
do u think the admissions people at cambridge enjoy seeing us in such pain?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theone)
This was my problem, I struggled a little bit at the start because I'd done a question wrong in the test, and afterwards, I didn't feel that they were pushing me at all.
As long as you reached the right answer during the interview (or got somewhere close ) then I don't see a problem with that - I made quite a few (big & embarassing) booboos during my interviews but I just shrugged it off (until after the interview when I was kicking myself ) and just kept going.

Oh also, I thought you might want to know (just out of interest) - I read an oxbridge info profile of someone who applied to study maths at Oxford (for 2004 entry) and he said that all applicants took a test and the top 1/3 who scored the highest marks were instantly accepted (as long as they didn't make a total fool out of themselves in the interview) and the bottom 1/3 were instantly rejected. The interview determined the fate of the middle bunch. Wonder if it's really true or not :confused:
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
do u think the admissions people at cambridge enjoy seeing us in such pain?
Maybe. Or maybe they are unaware of our constant inner turmoil.
They must be sick of people ringing up and asking when replies are going to be posted...heh.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and 3 months of all this stress
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For the whole week before I heard, I kept dreaming that my teeth were falling out. Every single night
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
and 3 months of all this stress
and 3 years of our lives at stake.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads