This discussion is closed.
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fred86)
i was at pembroke on 12th dec too!
hey fred, what for? in the morning? i was there on the 11th (stayed over) and had my interviews early morning on the 12th. Got on the train at 1.05 to go home

Rosie
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lucerna)
I do know her very well, she was in my class through year 7-11 and I still see her quite a lot...she's not a demon-worshipper or anything! Hehe. WOW...small world, heh?

Yep year 13, waiting for the cambridge letter at the moment RMS is very pretty, I board full-time there and have done for about a decade (hehe), and the grounds are one of the highlights...especially in summer. The atmosphere is also very good, and there's hardly any snobbery you'd come to expect from public schools etc which is why those threads at uk-learning annoy me...in general everyone gets on very well. Apart from the younger years who we hate for not being respectful enough to us, their elders ... Where are you at school? PM me if you wanted more info
Very small world !

I go to NLCS (year 13 too) whose reputation is also very much subjected to the same 'snobbery' comments regularly so I understand what you mean ! All the RMS girls I've met (which isn't actually too many - my friend's brother's girlfriend went there - Charlie - she's gone on to do nursing) have so far been both grounded and very nice The younger years in my school are verging on insane (they do crazy stuff like setting curtains on fire :rolleyes: ) - I wonder what brought it all on!

Good luck with hearing from Cam - what subject/college? My pain of waiting is over - I applied to Oxford - much better if you're impatient like me
lucerna
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Very small world !

I go to NLCS (year 13 too) whose reputation is also very much subjected to the same 'snobbery' comments regularly so I understand what you mean ! All the RMS girls I've met (which isn't actually too many - my friend's brother's girlfriend went there - Charlie - she's gone on to do nursing) have so far been both grounded and very nice The younger years in my school are verging on insane (they do crazy stuff like setting curtains on fire :rolleyes: ) - I wonder what brought it all on!

Good luck with hearing from Cam - what subject/college? My pain of waiting is over - I applied to Oxford - much better if you're impatient like me
NCLS=North london collegiate? If so, I know your school quite well; we're always playing you at hockey/badminton Not hockey this season so far; but we probably lost at badminton heh (i'm 1/2 of our first couple). Hmm I bet I knew Charlie...borwn curly hair and a surname durrell loveday perchance? Well lucky guess, if so... Setting curtains on fire, eh? Sounds much more interesting than here. I think someone set the lab on fire once, but that was about it :P

Congrats for Oxford, that's excellent I applied to do bio natsci at emmanuel (mucho oversubscription apparently..sigh) *crosses fingers*
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
8 hours till post arrives...
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lizzzy`)
My friend at Corpus had to run across the quad to get to the bathrooms in his second year...imagine that in the middle of winter! I'm going en-suite, all the way heh.
Not at Clare you won't! En-suite is currently only for the first years - mainly because of the lucrative conference guests they have over the long vac - because it's by no means guaranteed in the first year either.
As for sharing bathrooms with entire floors and people stealing food... I'm in some of the accom that is regarded as *****y in Clare and I have a bath, shower and two toilets between 5 and a decent sized room - so that's not too bad. People do steal food occasionally, but generally not, it's the 'borrowing' of kitchen equipment that is the most annoying :grr:

Oh and in Old Court at Clare there are only showers on one staircase, so to go to the showers you need to go across the court - and I have seen people doing that in the snow last year
There's only 30 or so rooms in Old Court though, and they're always taken as soon as possible because it's Old Court, so I guess peope can live with that.

Anyway, good luck everyone , guess you're all aleep now so that you can catch the postman asap.

Alaric.

btw: you guys have too much time on your hands or something... this thread is manic!
akk713
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*sigh* I don't think I'll get the post today as I live overseas

everyone good luck and let me know how you do anyway!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by akk713)
*sigh* I don't think I'll get the post today as I live overseas

everyone good luck and let me know how you do anyway!
Yeh same here. I'll probably get it in 2 weeks time.
xaviars
Report 16 years ago
(a) College? Trinity
(b) Subject? NatSci
(c) Yay or nay or pooled? Nay
(d) Expected? Interview went badly, so yeah
(e) Offer requirements if yay?
(f) Thoughts ? Gutted, always wanted it really, 5A's just ain't enough, letter was okay, saying there was severe competition etc. and they turned away loads of gifted candidates. Good Luck in uni etc.
(g) 1st preference now if nay? Durham or UCL (Physics)
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by xaviars)
(a) College? Trinity
(b) Subject? NatSci
(c) Yay or nay or pooled? Nay
(d) Expected? Interview went badly, so yeah
(f) Thoughts ? Gutted, always wanted it really, 5A's just ain't enough, letter was okay, saying there was severe competition etc. and they turned away loads of gifted candidates. Good Luck in uni etc.
(g) 1st preference now if nay? Durham or UCL (Physics)
I'm so sorry, vile business this. Not tempted to try again?
xaviars
Report 16 years ago
Well I should, my college send 20> to oxbridge, and I had highest grades etc this year, and the lecturers say i should go, but all those people avoiding the fees next year is high competion! Everywhere else seems to want me!

Just can't decide, Durham or UCL, soooo hard!!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Go Durham, which college?
xaviars
Report 16 years ago
Made open app, tbh picked durham on coin flip! Allocated to Hatfield, ABB offer.

The main thing is I like both, but jobs prospects, or are they both the same??
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Made open app, tbh picked durham on coin flip! Allocated to Hatfield, ABB offer.

The main thing is I like both, but jobs prospects, or are they both the same??
Well Durham has that huge social networking aspect, especially Hatfield I guess. But UCL has the more academic side, and the London setting. So who knows? I only say Durham because I was silly and didn't apply to London, and have an offer from Grey, Durham.

Btw, did you just get the letter?
xaviars
Report 16 years ago
Got the letter this morning, 6:30 - mail is TOO efficient these days!

What's this social networking at durham then??
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Got the letter this morning, 6:30 - mail is TOO efficient these days!

What's this social networking at durham then??
Wow, that is so early. I'm wondering whether to call home yet.

Well Durham is full of rich people, and the children of rich powerful people, who will probably finish their degrees, and goto London and do lots of big things, being friends with these people will supposedly get you far, career wise. However I'm not particularly interested in making small talk with slimy rich snobs myself, so :P
xaviars
Report 16 years ago
That doesn't really appeal to me either! I loved the university though, like a mini cambridge in a way! Gotta go tell my friends after, then get really drunk and bring in the new year and put it all behind me.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my post aint come in yet, i feel sick
Leah_85
Report 16 years ago
(a) College? St Johns
(b) Subject? Medicine
(c) Yay or nay or pooled? Pooled
(d) Expected? I didn't expect a place after the interview as it was all a bit weird!
(f) Thoughts ? Feel quite disappointed as I've never been rejected before... I guess it could still turn out ok but everyone who gets pooled for medicine (well other subjects as well) must be v good candidates so not expecting anything.
(g) 1st preference now if nay? Not sure as I haven't heard from all the other universities
paymaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(a) College? Magdalene
(b) Subject? Law
(d) Expected? Really didn't know what to think - so I was possibly always destined for the pool
(f) Thoughts ? I'm still in there, which is nice. Bit bemused by the build-up and then lack of a decision. Is the pool a good thing or a bad thing?(g) 1st preference now if nay? Don't know anymore....
akk713
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leah_85)
(a) College? St Johns
(b) Subject? Medicine
(d) Expected? I didn't expect a place after the interview as it was all a bit weird!
(f) Thoughts ? Feel quite disappointed as I've never been rejected before... I guess it could still turn out ok but everyone who gets pooled for medicine (well other subjects as well) must be v good candidates so not expecting anything.
(g) 1st preference now if nay? Not sure as I haven't heard from all the other universities
Bad luck... did they say when they would ask you for interview or give you the final decision??
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.71%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (44)
14.72%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (104)
34.78%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.7%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.35%

Watched Threads