Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    I admire youre optimism Seer
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to those who got in!! Commiserations to those who didn't - but, trite though it is to say it, these things always seem to turn out for the best somehow. And well done too to those who were pooled: if you're pooled you're good enough to be there, they simply ran out of space. Good luck with the rest of your application! And Adshur - if you're pooled to a girls' college remember a little story I was told about Newnham: one night they had a fire drill at about 2am and more boys emerged from the college than girls did

ReputationRep:
    grrr no post at all today! its either v late or weve not got any...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Congratulations to those who got in!! Commiserations to those who didn't - but, trite though it is to say it, these things always seem to turn out for the best somehow. And well done too to those who were pooled: if you're pooled you're good enough to be there, they simply ran out of space. Good luck with the rest of your application! And Adshur - if you're pooled to a girls' college remember a little story I was told about Newnham: one night they had a fire drill at about 2am and more boys emerged from the college than girls did
    Lol!!! that's funny.

I don't want to go to an all girls' but I guess it's inevitable if I get pooled? AH well, we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Lol!!! that's funny.

I don't want to go to an all girls' but I guess it's inevitable if I get pooled? AH well, we'll see.
    All girls at Cambridge is beter than no Cambridge at all huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Any way I can get statistics about the pool for each subject?

ReputationRep:
    All girls at Cambridge is beter than no Cambridge at all huh?
    Probably.

ReputationRep:
    LOL ... I think I might keep it as a momento lol. Proof that I went there and had a shot. It goes to show that grades arent everything, and that straight A's doesnt guarantee you a place. If youre **** at the interview (like I was) then youre buggered.
    The interviewer said ".... you'll have many more interviews in your life, jobs, universities, and so on. And none of them is going to be easy. .." so I thought "****".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    The interviewer said ".... you'll have many more interviews in your life, jobs, universities, and so on. And none of them is going to be easy. .." so I thought "****".
    LOL ... that would totally mess with my mind during the interview. I wouldnt be able to concentrate lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Any way I can get statistics about the pool for each subject?
    Errrm... I can only suggest emailing. They'll be flooded with enquiries at the moment but I expect they'll try to help if they can. All I can find are general stats (1 in 5 of the people pooled gets a place), nothing on specific subjects: I should think it varies widely from year to year.

ReputationRep:
    LOL ... that would totally mess with my mind during the interview. I wouldnt be able to concentrate lol.

that interviewer sounds really mean!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    that interviewer sounds really mean!
    he said that to me at the end of the interview. then my brain went blank. I guess that didn't help, or might have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Yeah, I don't feel too disheartened because I konw the first place they are gonna look at is emmanuel

Note that, there is no statistic saying there was an offer given to at least one applicant at all the colleges which pooled, they probably completely bypass undersubscribed colleges :O
    sorry but y are u so confident they're gonna look at your college first. you look into it far too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Woah 20?? No way! Oh lordy. Hehe.. okie. I'm kinda messed up then. For law? *flings self into cellar and throws away the key*
    Did you have to go all the way to Cambridge for the interview? I thought they sent interviewing panels out to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.

(Original post by fred86)
    sorry but y are u so confident they're gonna look at your college first. you look into it far too much
    agreed, i don't think first choice college comes into it, of the six of us who were pooled last year the only person to hear anything back applied to jesus and was interviewed by newham(subsequently rejected), the other four applied to queens', kings, emmanuel and downing

i think they are much harsher with the pooling as well, if you didn't get 4A's at AS or all A/A*s at gcse i doubt they would reconsider you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    he said that to me at the end of the interview. then my brain went blank. I guess that didn't help, or might have.

at least it was at the end and not the beginning! that would have been way worse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    agreed, i don't think first choice college comes into it, of the six of us who were pooled last year the only person to hear anything back applied to jesus and was interviewed by newham(subsequently rejected), the other four applied to queens', kings, emmanuel and downing

i think they are much harsher with the pooling as well, if you didn't get 4A's at AS or all A/A*s at gcse i doubt they would reconsider you
    I've just heard that when looking for more applicants, they go to the most competitive colleges first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    I've just heard that when looking for more applicants, they go to the most competitive colleges first.

is pembroke considered competitive? i think it might be for NatSci but i'm not really sure. i dunno if will make much difference tho, don't want ot get my hopes up!

ReputationRep:
    at least it was at the end and not the beginning! that would have been way worse...
    He started off the interview with really simple questions, and that is the worst thing you can expect. then I got question on cake cutting in the end, and got it wrong. Mind messing and tricky questions. If I ever see Dr Michael Wise again, I'm gonna tell him how mean he was.

ReputationRep:
    is pembroke considered competitive? i think it might be for NatSci but i'm not really sure. i dunno if will make much difference tho, don't want ot get my hopes up!
    I think it's a quite popular college. I never noticed that. 7 places for Law, but 70 applicants. Don't know what's quota for NatSci, but there are only 3 places for Comp Sci.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.