Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    is it easier to get in for LE?

Not nowadays. It used to be the rugby players' degree course though - they picked the best sportsmen and gave them offers of DDE for Land Economy so the colleges could do well at sport. Or so the tale goes. It actually sounds quite interesting though, and the Land Economists work hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    It actually sounds quite interesting though, and the Land Economists work hard!

But their exams finish first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    You have a meeting in the first few days of term with your directors of studies - you don't need to formally make a decision until then. But it's a good idea to think about it.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Should I phone them? I've been agonising all day and I'm from overseas.. so shoud I phone or email? I'm so undecided.... and I don't want to annoy them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Should I phone them? I've been agonising all day and I'm from overseas.. so shoud I phone or email? I'm so undecided.... and I don't want to annoy them.

They wont tell you over the phone whether or not youve got a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    They wont tell you over the phone whether or not youve got a place.
    Lolz so I'll just wait then Not good! Dumdeedeedumdum... 2 weeks! How will I live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    girton.... land economy,, could u have picked a worse combination of college/subjct lol!
    i cant help but notice the bitter tone in that thread (you didnt by any chance get rejected). A cambridge degree is a cambridge degree regardless of what college you attended and what degree you studied.
    Ill have you know that there were 12 apps for 2 places for Land Economy at Girton and i was bloody chuffed to get a place. I spoke to fellow Land Economists (who give the subject the respect it deserves) and they were all straight A students and more improtantly very nice people. Just for the record not one of them was a rugby player, and neither am i.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam-jones)
    i cant help but notice the bitter tone in that thread (you didnt by any chance get rejected). A cambridge degree is a cambridge degree regardless of what college you attended and what degree you studied.
    Ill have you know that there were 12 apps for 2 places for Land Economy at Girton and i was bloody chuffed to get a place. I spoke to fellow Land Economists (who give the subject the respect it deserves) and they were all straight A students and more improtantly very nice people. Just for the record not one of them was a rugby player, and neither am i.

lol sorry! and no twasn't jealousy even being in the pool im still uncertain whether i wanna go to cam. want to go soemwhere to have fun really i thinks!

ReputationRep:
    lol sorry! and no twasn't jealousy even being in the pool im still uncertain whether i wanna go to cam. want to go soemwhere to have fun really i thinks!
    Hey Im in pool too.
    Law at St Johns, What do you think my chance of getting an interview is. I'm quite pissed off that St John's didn't accept me, may have something to do with the fact that I mentioned the rugby score to the DoS, who had an Aussie twang!

im pooled from st johns too, engineering.
    do you think getting pooled from there is better than being from a possibly "less popular/smaller" college?
    only a few weeks and its all over anyway

ReputationRep:
    jokes, okay i wasn’t really having a go, but then you go and make another sweeping generalisation - you cant have fun at Cambridge? Oh dear, i am doomed........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam-jones)
    jokes, okay i wasn’t really having a go, but then you go and make another sweeping generalisation - you cant have fun at Cambridge? Oh dear, i am doomed........
    hehe but seriously, it really is all work and no play - no matter what people tell you, you're gonna have to work 10 x harder than any other top uni!

ReputationRep:
    hehe but seriously, it really is all work and no play - no matter what people tell you, you're gonna have to work 10 x harder than any other top uni!

short terms tho

ReputationRep:

I can't speak from experience but I think you work hard and play hard.

ReputationRep:
    Even for Land Economy???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Lolz so I'll just wait then Not good! Dumdeedeedumdum... 2 weeks! How will I live?
    Singing I will survive. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm certainly looking forward to playing hard...Doing about 50 things at once including work is what keeps me happy

ReputationRep:
    hmm decided being in the pool sucks, too much waiting!
    i think i agree- i wish they'd told us in the letter if a college has picked us out, then we could go for an interview at the weekend and know before we go back to school....instead of maybe waiting til the end of january! surely the fellows and directors of studies have some compassion?!

ReputationRep:
    Hey every1! I got my letter through from cam to read music at jesus college today, but they haven't given me a definite yes, no or pooled!! Does ne1 have ne idea why? here is the letter:

dear X
    I am writing in accordance with the timetable outlined in the University prospectus to keep you updated about the progress of your application to Cambridge.

At present, we are unable to give you a final decision about your application which is still under active consideration here at Jesus. We have also made your application available to other Colleges in order to maximise your chances of gaining a place at Cambridge. As a result of this you may:

-Be offered a place here at Jesus;
    -Be offered a place at another college without further interview;
    -Be called for interview at another college;
    -Be unsuccessful in obtaining a place either in Jesus or another college.

I am sorry that I am unable to write with more definite news at present but I shall write again shortly,

With best wishes....

It's really puzzling me why they haven't decided yet... could anybody help me??! I can't stand not knowing when every1 else knows either way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    Hey every1! I got my letter through from cam to read music at jesus college today, but they haven't given me a definite yes, no or pooled!! Does ne1 have ne idea why? here is the letter:

dear X
    I am writing in accordance with the timetable outlined in the University prospectus to keep you updated about the progress of your application to Cambridge.

At present, we are unable to give you a final decision about your application which is still under active consideration here at Jesus. We have also made your application available to other Colleges in order to maximise your chances of gaining a place at Cambridge. As a result of this you may:

-Be offered a place here at Jesus;
    -Be offered a place at another college without further interview;
    -Be called for interview at another college;
    -Be unsuccessful in obtaining a place either in Jesus or another college.

I am sorry that I am unable to write with more definite news at present but I shall write again shortly,

With best wishes....

It's really puzzling me why they haven't decided yet... could anybody help me??! I can't stand not knowing when every1 else knows either way!

They've pooled you - that's happened to a few people on here actually. You'll still find out pretty soon but you might have to go for another interview. What it means is that they're sure you're good enough to go to Cambridge but they aren't sure if they have room for you at Jesus or at any of the other colleges. Congrats - you obviously are of a high standard to be pooled!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.