This discussion is closed.
Radagasty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Nah.. I went to Cambridge. Their interviewing panels weren't even representatives of the college, just a general panel and some of them weren't even in the law department. I mean, some of my friends applying for law had history teachers interviewing them. Somehow, I wanted to see the place as well as get to meet the actual people. Why would I want to go to a place that I have never had contact with? That would be so weird. Anywae.. still waiting for replies. BUmmer.
I know what you mean about seeing the place for yourself. I wish I had the opportunity to go before I applied, but I couldn't on account of my teaching commitments. Now that I've been accepted, I don't think I can justify the cost of visiting (I'm in Australia) until I actually begin. Do you think this is a big mistake?

At any rate... best of luck to you; I really hope you will become the first Cantabrigian from Brunei.
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
They've pooled you - that's happened to a few people on here actually. You'll still find out pretty soon but you might have to go for another interview. What it means is that they're sure you're good enough to go to Cambridge but they aren't sure if they have room for you at Jesus or at any of the other colleges. Congrats - you obviously are of a high standard to be pooled!

That's totally different to my pooled letter...and it says they might still offer a place at Jesus. Fingers crossed!
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Joanna*)
That's totally different to my pooled letter...and it says they might still offer a place at Jesus. Fingers crossed!
that's what i thought cos it doesn't actually say i've been pooled but it sounds like i have, but i've not been rejected by jesus. i wished they'd just say yes or no!! :confused:
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
They've pooled you - that's happened to a few people on here actually. You'll still find out pretty soon but you might have to go for another interview. What it means is that they're sure you're good enough to go to Cambridge but they aren't sure if they have room for you at Jesus or at any of the other colleges. Congrats - you obviously are of a high standard to be pooled!
thanks for ur advice! Yet more waiting! but i'm glad it's not an outright rejection!
angelzland
Report 16 years ago
I heard that there is a very slim chance of getting picked out of the pool...something like 20 to 1. Much lower than the statistic from when u first applied!
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by angelzland)
I heard that there is a very slim chance of getting picked out of the pool...something like 20 to 1. Much lower than the statistic from when u first applied!
This is ridiculous, the odds are slightly harder, about 5 to 1 last year, and it very much depends from where you have been pooled as well.
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Does it not say on the letter that there's 600 places for 3500 people? I worked that out at bout 5.8 to 1 or something, but I guess it will vary a bit depending on the person, course and college...
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's ok for you to say considering ur in. I haven't actually been rejected by my college, it says they haven't reached a decision and are still considering my application, and i was wondering if ne1 else had the same response. My application has also been forwarded to the other colleges as well.
thtg47
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i thought that id stop by and give you guys the benefit of some experience/some thoughts/an outburst of emotion. i applied last year for classics at queens and got pooled, but was unsuccessful in that. ive have reapplied and just been pooled again. classics is actually fairly weird since they do a pool interview together with your main interview so that if you are pooled you dont need to come back in january. so im not sure if every classics student receives a pool letter or not.

i wouldnt be greatly hopeful if you have been pooled, as stated above the odds are about 5:1, depending on how good you did etc you might feel more/less confident. obviously its better than outright rejection. if you havent been accepted, then trust me, its not the end of the world. i know you probably think, yea, thats what they all say. and thats what i thought when i got first rejected. i was pissed off then cos i knew i should be there, and im pissed of now, cos i know i should be there, and so i hope i offer some consolation to those of you who are easily good enough, but somehow didnt make it (there arent too many of them, but there still are some). however at the moment im still clinging to pool hope, since my pool interview went better (i felt at least). i am bitter, and i expect that some of you rejectees are bitter too. it hurts so much when you know you are good enough, not just good enough, but top material, it burns your heart. now im gonna have a **** new years but hey. my message from all that rant is never give up, whats done is done, be the best you can be, and prove yourself worthy. also, your not alone, there are others.

peace out
Matin
Report 16 years ago
Just got back from a friend's house and got my letter.It's a rejection for Engineering at Pembroke.
Feelings:very disappointed

Happy new year (It's the worst one for me so far)
85ah11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(a) College? Girton
(b) Subject? Maths
(c) Yay or nay or pooled? Pooled
(d) Expected? Not surprised
(e) Offer requirements if yay? n/a
(f) Thoughts ? I'm pleased to still be in with a shot. I made an open application initially so I had no real attachment to Girton. I liked the place when I went for the interviews, but I wouldn't mind studying anywhere in Cambridge. When I first opened the envelope, I saw two letters, one white, one yellow, so I thought I must have got in since why would they send me two different types of letter? Then I read the first line: "I am sorry to have to tell you that we are not able to offer you a place at Girton.". Change in emotion. Then: "However, your application for admission to read Mathematics was passed to the Inter-College Pool, where it has been made available for consideration by other Colleges.". Another change. Great fun, now I have to wait ten days for a phone call.
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 85ah11)
(a) College? Girton
(b) Subject? Maths
(c) Yay or nay or pooled? Pooled
(d) Expected? Not surprised
(e) Offer requirements if yay? n/a
(f) Thoughts ? I'm pleased to still be in with a shot. I made an open application initially so I had no real attachment to Girton. I liked the place when I went for the interviews, but I wouldn't mind studying anywhere in Cambridge. When I first opened the envelope, I saw two letters, one white, one yellow, so I thought I must have got in since why would they send me two different types of letter? Then I read the first line: "I am sorry to have to tell you that we are not able to offer you a place at Girton.". Change in emotion. Then: "However, your application for admission to read Mathematics was passed to the Inter-College Pool, where it has been made available for consideration by other Colleges.". Another change. Great fun, now I have to wait ten days for a phone call.
Is this Bhall85?

Mate, I got rejected today so count yourself lucky. Id wait another 10 days if I was still in with a shot.
85ah11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Is this Bhall85?

Mate, I got rejected today so count yourself lucky. Id wait another 10 days if I was still in with a shot.
No it's not, but I count myself both lucky and unlucky in a strange, twisted sort of way.
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 85ah11)
No it's not, but I count myself both lucky and unlucky in a strange, twisted sort of way.
Yeah you are. 8=B 5=H 11=LL and the 85 just makes it obvious. Plus, Bhall85 went for Maths at Girton too - wot a coincidence!
85ah11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Yeah you are. 8=B 5=H 11=LL and the 85 just makes it obvious. Plus, Bhall85 went for Maths at Girton too - wot a coincidence!
In all seriousness, I don't know what you're talking about.
legalbeagle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
College: Clare
Subject: Law
Yay or nay or pooled? Pooled, but Clare "may still decide to make you an offer."
Thoughts: Shocked, I was certain I was going to be rejected after the day's shoddy workmanship I gave them. Reading the thread has made me even more happy as you seem to be implying that because I applied for the most popular subject at one of the most popular colleges, I will be looked at first in the pool. Plus, I'm pretty chuffed Clare might still give me an offer. I have straight A*s at GCSE, straight A's at A-level and 9 100 percents in my AS's, plus loads of extra-curricular involvement and legal experience, so please god something will come of it. I don't care what college (if any) decide to consider me - Cambridge is a fantastic place to work and live in.
Where will I go if rejected? Straight to Trinity College Dublin - Number 1 in Ireland, for law with french law. Then I'll apply for a postgraduate degree in law at Cambridge and Harvard.

Good luck to all pooled applicants, we're all in the same boat, if you'll pardon the pun!!!

Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by legalbeagle)
College: Clare
Subject: Law
Yay or nay or pooled? Pooled, but Clare "may still decide to make you an offer."
Thoughts: Shocked, I was certain I was going to be rejected after the day's shoddy workmanship I gave them. Reading the thread has made me even more happy as you seem to be implying that because I applied for the most popular subject at one of the most popular colleges, I will be looked at first in the pool. Plus, I'm pretty chuffed Clare might still give me an offer. I have straight A*s at GCSE, straight A's at A-level and 9 100 percents in my AS's, plus loads of extra-curricular involvement and legal experience, so please god something will come of it. I don't care what college (if any) decide to consider me - Cambridge is a fantastic place to work and live in.
Where will I go if rejected? Straight to Trinity College Dublin - Number 1 in Ireland, for law with french law. Then I'll apply for a postgraduate degree in law at Cambridge and Harvard.

Good luck to all pooled applicants, we're all in the same boat, if you'll pardon the pun!!!

Good luck with the pool. The wait was unbearable but still worth it, if an offer is made in the end.

Not all roads leads to Rome, some of them lead to places better than Rome.
legalbeagle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks very much Camford. Love your name by the way - very endearing!
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, I trust everyone who has recieved their dreaded letter is now utterly hammered

Congratulations to everyone who has got in, especially fishpaste and hells bells going to Clare. If you two aren't having gap years I hope that I'll see you around next October. Now most of you have only the slight hurdle of getting the expected grades, so just don't mess that up, as many people have probably said 'the hard bit is over'.

Commiserations for those of you who have been rejected, especially Lizzy and Sue! - I'm sure you probably don't feel like it now, but trust me you'll probably be happy anywhere you go. Besides, you can always come back to Cam for postgrad or something.

As for you lot swimming around in the pool, good luck, you are supposed to be of the standard to get in so don't feel bad - the other candidates were probably just marginally better. Cam has the ability to make the top of one school the bottom of the entire pile there, it's still a damn good standard. Adhsur and legalbeagle, Clare likes to think they make an effort with those that they pool, so they may phone some colleges on your behalf etc. As has been pointed out, we normally have a greater than average applicant-to-place ratio so it should be a better college to be pooled from than a lot of others. That doesn't mean that you will be lucky though

Legalbeagle and musicman, I've not seen your situation before, I guess that you would be the last place and they want to check the pool for anyone better instead of just accepting you. *shrug*

(Original post by fishpaste)
I want to post a proper template instead of deciphered jibberish :P
Your first undeciphered gibberish cracked me up big time, especially posting tice almost the same.

(d) Expected? Hell no, not in a million years, miserable grades, miserable interview, miserable me waiting for a long time. I have no idea how or why. I've heard it said a million times by successful applicants that they didn't expect it, but I really did, I was practically crying whilst trying to call my dad to find out
Clare evidently has a trick to doing that then, they did it to me too.
They obviously saw some potential that wasn't there in the other applicants, what everyone forgets is that quite often (especially with the better colleges) they aren't looking for the best grades they're looking for the most potential. So even if you don't think you're good enough, they do, and it's them that count .

Didn't see that coming. Either way I'm determined to make it a fairer, nicer system, because nobody should be going through that. It's sick.
If you come up with a good alternative then I'm sure they'll listen before ignoring you (call me a cynic )

so, good luck to those still waiting for the final verdict!

Alaric.
lizzzy`
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Well, I trust everyone who has recieved their dreaded letter is now utterly hammered

Congratulations to everyone who has got in, especially fishpaste and hells bells going to Clare. If you two aren't having gap years I hope that I'll see you around next October. Now most of you have only the slight hurdle of getting the expected grades, so just don't mess that up, as many people have probably said 'the hard bit is over'.

Commiserations for those of you who have been rejected, especially Lizzy and Sue! - I'm sure you probably don't feel like it now, but trust me you'll probably be happy anywhere you go. Besides, you can always come back to Cam for postgrad or something.

so, good luck to those still waiting for the final verdict!

Alaric.

Hi Alaric I am resigned to my fate, that I shall probably end up somewhere in London...and glad at the fact that I don't have to work so hard for my exams now...sigh.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.8%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.48%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (103)
34.68%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.76%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.39%

Watched Threads