The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BradLBlackwell
I'm going in for Physics with a foundation year (Didn't do Maths at A Level!). Really like the look of Fairfax house. How many of the rooms are small? Just worried because I have a double bass to bring with me!
And that kitchen! WOW!

Skipping out on Maths A-Level? Good fellow.

And, yes. If you apply to Fairfax, there's really no predicting what sort of room you'll get- there's no real logic to their sizes. There are a fair few smaller rooms, but even then- they're hardly dreadful.

A Double Bass should be more than manageable, albeit a bit of a pain if you end up in the smallest of all possible rooms.
You'd end up with similar problems were you to end up in any of the older campus accommodation, I'd expect.
University of York
York
AirRaven
Skipping out on Maths A-Level? Good fellow.

And, yes. If you apply to Fairfax, there's really no predicting what sort of room you'll get- there's no real logic to their sizes. There are a fair few smaller rooms, but even then- they're hardly dreadful.

A Double Bass should be more than manageable, albeit a bit of a pain if you end up in the smallest of all possible rooms.
You'd end up with similar problems were you to end up in any of the older campus accommodation, I'd expect.

Thanks! I shall probably go for fairfax. I like the idea of having a little community rather than just flats as seems to be suggestedTherouxther stuff I've read.
Does it seem really detached from campus life or does it still feel like you're actually a student at York?
BradLBlackwell
Thanks! I shall probably go for fairfax. I like the idea of having a little community rather than just flats as seems to be suggestedTherouxther stuff I've read.
Does it seem really detached from campus life or does it still feel like you're actually a student at York?

Definitely feels like you're a student at York. Make sure you get involved in some extra-curriculars and you'll be laughing.
IeuanF
Definitely feels like you're a student at York. Make sure you get involved in some extra-curriculars and you'll be laughing.

Thanks! That's good to know. I'll go for Fairfax, should get it for sure as I have an unconditional and can apply early!
Just wondering here (not criticising)

Why would you prefer living in Fairfax over a college, without previously living in either?

As far as I have heard, Fairfax is just a college block, on Hes Road ... how's that any better? There are quiet blocks on campus, that don't involve a 15 minute walk to each lecture.

And on a lighter note, I'll be 4th year physics in October, woops. You'll enjoy it. Maybe :P
stickydink

Why would you prefer living in Fairfax over a college, without previously living in either?

As far as I have heard, Fairfax is just a college block, on Hes Road ... how's that any better? There are quiet blocks on campus, that don't involve a 15 minute walk to each lecture.

And on a lighter note, I'll be 4th year physics in October, woops. You'll enjoy it. Maybe :P

Quiet? Fairfax is definitely not quiet. Fairfax has much better common areas than any college block on campus (free pool and football table), and we have breakfast provided for us every morning. We have a fabulous community spirit. Also, many think it much prettier and older than other buildings.

There are of course downsides, but I'm very glad that I chose Fairfax over anywhere else.
Reply 26
stickydink

Fairfax is quite a bit more than just another college block- it's a damned sight larger than any one block, for starters- 92 people in one building, with free access to every room in the house, rather than access to each floor being limited solely to that floor's residents. Far prettier than anywhere else on campus, as well.

It's not even a quiet block, either- the place is bloody loud, if anything. Very sociable place, if you make the effort of going out and putting yourself out there.

Although, I do rather wish I'd gone for campus accommodation sometimes- the separation from the rest of campus is a definite downside, in my view. It's nothing you can't overcome easily with a bit of effort, but I'd rather that barrier not be there at all. It makes friends visiting rather more of a pain in the proverbial than it would otherwise be, for starters.

Still a decent place to live, regardless.
stickydink

Which college/accommodation are you living in? Just wondering what you think of where you live. Are you right by Physics?
AirRaven
Fairfax is quite a bit more than just another college block- it's a damned sight larger than any one block, for starters- 92 people in one building, with free access to every room in the house, rather than access to each floor being limited solely to that floor's residents. Far prettier than anywhere else on campus, as well.

This seems to be a bit of a misconception with people that live in Fairfax :p: campus blocks are like that too. I can get onto all of the floors in my building.
Reply 29
rainbow drops
This seems to be a bit of a misconception with people that live in Fairfax :p: campus blocks are like that too. I can get onto all of the floors in my building.

Really? =\

Probably just an Alcuin thing, then.
The one time I've stumbled into an Alcuin block, each floor's been keycarded.
I think that's true of the older blocks - newer blocks I believe you only have access to your own floor
Would you say Vanbrugh is a good substitute for the (now catered) self-catared Derwent?
Reply 32
FeargusMcDuff
Would you say Vanbrugh is a good substitute for the (now catered) self-catared Derwent?

If you're after a non-catered college with just about all Derwent's characteristics, then going for one of the older Vanbrugh blocks (Le Page, Eric Milner White) is as close as you're going to get.

So, yes. :smile:
xKTx
I think that's true of the older blocks - newer blocks I believe you only have access to your own floor

I live in new Vanbrugh, aka the newest accommodation on campus, and can access all of the floors in my building.
rainbow drops
I live in new Vanbrugh, aka the newest accommodation on campus, and can access all of the floors in my building.

I do fancy new Vanbrugh but I will save about £600 if I go for old Vanbrugh! I'll see how I'm feeling on the day. Still tempted by Fairfax.
That's odd - I was at York when Vanbrugh had to take two Alcuin blocks cos they were building the new blocks and we couldn't access other floors (well getting into the actual flats). I lived in both old Vanbrugh and the newest blocks of Alcuin (p block) and old Vanbrugh was fine :smile: and that was when it only had a belly belling and microwave between 12 people!!!
Yeah, must just be an Alcuin thing then.

We all knew Alcuin was rubbish anyway, so... :awesome:
rainbow drops
Yeah, must just be an Alcuin thing then.

We all knew Alcuin was rubbish anyway, so... :awesome:

Hmmmm. I would take offence, but I've moved out now.
I'm only joking, I like Alcuin... it has nice pretty grassy courts and is next to the library. Would have been convenient if I'd lived there as well, all my seminars seem to end up over there.

Urgh I don't want to leave halls. They're so easy to live in, and I'm lazy. :frown:
Can you go back in the 3rd year?

Latest

Trending

Trending