The Student Room Group

Stanford vs. LSE

I am a native New Yorker who is deciding between two PhD programs. I hold a BA from a top American University and a master's degree from LSE. I have been admitted to PhD programs in Political Sociology at both Stanford and LSE. Which degree would be considered more prestigious throughout the world?

Scroll to see replies

Stanford, without a doubt. Stanford is one of those respected Universities in the world. LSE is above par but no where near the same level as Stanford.
you're set wherever. They're both awesome Unis

if you like LSE and want to spend a few years there go for it. If not, go to Stanford I guess.
Reply 3
Stanford! Besides, how can you say no to California weather!
Reply 4
The PhD programs will be very different - it's 3 years of pure research at LSE vs 6 years of much more interactive study including grad classes and TA-ing at Stanford. If you get a stipendiary fellowship at Stanford it might even be cheaper than LSE what with living expenses in London and international student fees..
Congrats on the offers btw.
Reply 6
stanford.london weather is ****.
Difficult to say. Rankings don't count for much when faced with such a choice. I'll refrain from simply picking one of the two but, if you wish, I'll volunteer my thoughts on how you could go about making your decision.
Reply 8
I would assume for a degree in political sociology LSE would be better than Stanford... but if your intention is Academia in the US, it woud probably better to go to Stanford... depends on what you want to use your degree for..
stanford, obviously. it's much more respected.
Reply 10
Loving all the uninformed suggestions here.

Obviously it will depend on various factors such as supervisor, stipend and environment preference.

You should ask your lecturers/supervisors what their thoughts are.
ponjavic

You should ask your lecturers/supervisors what their thoughts are.

Yeah, the ones from LSE :smile:
I agree with the rest of your post...
Depends on the PhD supervisors you have got at both unis - which supervisor is more respected in Political Sociology?
Reply 13
like.no.other.
stanford, obviously. it's much more respected.

er, not quite. stanford's excellent no doubt, but for a Ph.d in political sociology I'd say they're both top notch. I don't think reputation is something the OP needs to worry about with either school. If it were me I'd base my decision on supervisor, location preference, length of degree etc.
Lord_Farquad
Stanford, without a doubt. Stanford is one of those respected Universities in the world. LSE is above par but no where near the same level as Stanford.

:rofl:
Reply 15
Both are brilliant places...
But Stanford has something extra...
Stanford, because university in the US is exactly like American Pie.
Reply 17
Personally i'd much prefer to live in California than London, and as both are excellent unis........
They're both excellent Universities, but I think Stanford edges it here.
Webstersss
:rofl:

Laugh all you want but it's true. Stanford runs all over LSE.

Outside of the UK, only financial institutions have really ever heard of LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending