The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tazziecs
I'm Scottish! (best country in the world) I live in Geneva at the moment but am leaving to go to boarding school (gordonstoun) in scotland. I hate maths and dont want to go into economics or any 'mathy' subjects. So if I got an A in theatre I could get into Oxford..wow!

even for subjects like law... they might ask for A in GCSE Maths although they Imperial required a B in GCSE French for my course and I didnt even take French although I said I have an even higher level than GCSE French but never proved it! :P
tazziecs
hey, just to say I hope everyone did well in their IGCSEs (and GCSEs, but you guys dont know yet!).

I'm really pleased :smile: ! I was convinced I had failed everything! I didn't study AT ALL so my parents were even telling me it didnt matter what I got!

french - A*
spanish - A*
geography - A
english literature - A
history - B
biology - B
english language - B

Maths I did in november (c) but we wont mention that. And our Theatre grades come in two weeks.

I just hope everybody is pleased with their results and did well. All the best to all of you and all the people waiting for their GCSE results.

Wow you did great, well done :wink:
Reply 22
i did igcse maths but i havent got that result yet. how do you get it. can you get it via internet??
Reply 23
chazzinio
i did igcse maths but i havent got that result yet. how do you get it. can you get it via internet??

Those grades have been taken from he internet but just the school with the password can go in!
Reply 24
kitsune
Those grades have been taken from he internet but just the school with the password can go in!

*******s. spose ill have to wait
Reply 25
ok, thanks. The problem now is that I have five subjects I could take :theatre, french, spanish, english literature and geography. I don't know which ones are the best to take. I think I should take french defiantly because I live in France and therefore will not find it extremely difficult and theatre because I really like it (but i dont know if its a good subject to take). I also think spanish is good because having two languages is useful and I got an A* :biggrin:. English literature i dont really like but thought might be good in case people expect english and because I got an A (you see, im guided by what grades i got). Geography...i heard its hard and im not that thrilled about it. so maybe i should just take theatre, french and spanish. My school makes you pick 3 A levels and 1 AS level but none of these subjects are on the AS level list, except french (which is the one im sure about doing at A level)

ok, im sorry i managed to make this really confusing! but i just dont have any idea what i want to do at uni so this is quite difficult. also, is doing 2 languages and theatre bad?
Reply 26
the first question you have to ask yourself... is what you want to study at uni! :wink:
tazziecs
ok, thanks. The problem now is that I have five subjects I could take :theatre, french, spanish, english literature and geography. I don't know which ones are the best to take. I think I should take french defiantly because I live in France and therefore will not find it extremely difficult and theatre because I really like it (but i dont know if its a good subject to take). I also think spanish is good because having two languages is useful and I got an A* :biggrin:. English literature i dont really like but thought might be good in case people expect english and because I got an A (you see, im guided by what grades i got). Geography...i heard its hard and im not that thrilled about it. so maybe i should just take theatre, french and spanish. My school makes you pick 3 A levels and 1 AS level but none of these subjects are on the AS level list, except french (which is the one im sure about doing at A level)

ok, im sorry i managed to make this really confusing! but i just dont have any idea what i want to do at uni so this is quite difficult. also, is doing 2 languages and theatre bad?

It sounds like you really enjoy languages and you've proved you have an aptitude for them, so taking both French and Spanish would be great. Languages are some of the most respected A-level subjects and give you a lot of options for the future. As for theatre studies, it's not very well respected but you said you really like it, so take it. It's fine to have one subject that's not very well respected. English lit is well respected, but you won't need it unless you want to do it at uni and even though you got an A at IGCSE, it's not a good idea to take a subject you don't really like because you won't want to put the work in and might not do very well. Don't take geography either if you don't really like it. Is there another subject you'd really like to take at least to AS? Bearing in mind that you don't know what you want at uni, your options with 2 languages and theatre studies are limited to....languages and theatre studies, so maybe an alternative subject like a humanity, social science or science?
Reply 28
kellywood_5
It sounds like you really enjoy languages and you've proved you have an aptitude for them, so taking both French and Spanish would be great. Languages are some of the most respected A-level subjects and give you a lot of options for the future. As for theatre studies, it's not very well respected but you said you really like it, so take it. It's fine to have one subject that's not very well respected. English lit is well respected, but you won't need it unless you want to do it at uni and even though you got an A at IGCSE, it's not a good idea to take a subject you don't really like because you won't want to put the work in and might not do very well. Don't take geography either if you don't really like it. Is there another subject you'd really like to take at least to AS? Bearing in mind that you don't know what you want at uni, your options with 2 languages and theatre studies are limited to....languages and theatre studies, so maybe an alternative subject like a humanity, social science or science?

ok, heres the problem: I have to pick an AS level but the only subjects no the list that i would maybe find interesting are english language (but i only got a B), psychology and french (but i wanna do french at a full A level). So maybe i should be doing geography, the only thing is ive heard it is a lot of work and the first exam is in January - and thats scary! I'm sorry but i have NO idea what i wanna do at Uni - just no maths or science!
Reply 29
is theatre really looked down upon? would that hinder me from getting into good courses at Uni, etc. I mean, its not just practical, its a lot of writing
Reply 30
is theatre really looked down upon? would that hinder me from getting into good courses at Uni, etc. I mean, its not just practical, its a lot of writing

It's OK, far more respectable than Media etc, but not up there with maths and english lit sort of subjects. I hear from people in my year who did it early that it's a lot harder than GCSE and that the universities don't realise how complicated the essays for AS are. The general rule with these things, as said, is to just have one 'iffy' subject and you'll be fine!
tazziecs
ok, heres the problem: I have to pick an AS level but the only subjects no the list that i would maybe find interesting are english language (but i only got a B), psychology and french (but i wanna do french at a full A level). So maybe i should be doing geography, the only thing is ive heard it is a lot of work and the first exam is in January - and thats scary! I'm sorry but i have NO idea what i wanna do at Uni - just no maths or science!

Do you enjoy geography? If you do, don't worry about it being hard- if you enjoy it, you'll put the work in and you'll most likely do better than if you took a subject you thought was easier but didn't like. As for the exam in January, that's actually better in a way than having exams in the summer because you have the Christmas holidays right before them to revise for and it takes the pressure off a bit getting one out of the way.
Reply 32
yeah, i guess that would be cool, to have an exam out of the way. so it would be good to do spanish, french and geography - do they go well together? the only problem is i want to do theatre..but none of these subjects are on the AS level list, thats the problem. unless i pick french but then do it at Alevel...but that would make me do 4 A levels - isnt that suicide?
Reply 33
I got results! I am so happy. I studied a lot, worked a lot, and sure did sacrifice a lot of things. I had to do the whole IGCSE thing in a single year, because in Year 10 I was in a Mexican system school where everything works differently. So... here it goes!

English as First Lang - A*
Spanish as First Lang - A*
Economics - A*
Geography - A*
ICT - Is a standard GCSE, so gets here later :-(, but everybody thinks it's A*, it's my best subject

Eng Lit - A
Maths - A
Science DoubleAward - AA
French Foreign Lang - A

This is so great!! :-D

(PS: Another difference between IGCSE and GCSE is that IGCSE sees everything from a "global" perspective, eg, in Geography we get less Britain and more world, in History you can take different modules I believe, etc etc etc.)
tazziecs
yeah, i guess that would be cool, to have an exam out of the way. so it would be good to do spanish, french and geography - do they go well together? the only problem is i want to do theatre..but none of these subjects are on the AS level list, thats the problem. unless i pick french but then do it at Alevel...but that would make me do 4 A levels - isnt that suicide?

What do you mean about there being a separate AS level list? At my school they list all the subjects they offer at A-level and you choose 3 or 4 that you want to take in the first year, then at the end of the year you choose which subjects to carry on to A2 and you finalise your choice after you get your AS results. I thought that was how every school did it, so you start off doing French, Spanish, geography and theatre studies and then you decide whether you want to drop something, and if so, which subject you want to drop. That would be a good combination- the 2 languages would obviously complement each other, then you have a humanity and a more practical subject to give you a nice balance. As for 4 A-levels being suicide, I hope not- that's what I'm doing come September! :redface:
Reply 35
OMG those are fantastic results! congratulations! wow you really must have worked your ass off - you really deserve all those grades!
Reply 36
angelsarmiento
I got results! I am so happy. I studied a lot, worked a lot, and sure did sacrifice a lot of things. I had to do the whole IGCSE thing in a single year, because in Year 10 I was in a Mexican system school where everything works differently.

THIS IS AMAZING!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! The same happened to me!!! I did Year 10 in a Spanish school!!! But just managed 4As 2Bs and 3Cs and I worked really hard! :frown: CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN! This is SOOO AMAZING! Are you planning to go to Oxbridge?! :wink:
Reply 37
yeah in my school they give you a seperate list of only AS subjects. I'm going to talk to teachers when I get there and see what I can do. and yes I do think it would be a nice balance. I only thought 4 A levels might be hard because they only say you can do further maths or your native language as a fourth A level. It seems to be normal to do 3 and then an AS level.
tazziecs
yeah in my school they give you a seperate list of only AS subjects. I'm going to talk to teachers when I get there and see what I can do. and yes I do think it would be a nice balance. I only thought 4 A levels might be hard because they only say you can do further maths or your native language as a fourth A level. It seems to be normal to do 3 and then an AS level.

Yeah, that's what most people do, and some people only do 3, but you can usually do 4 if you prove you're capable. I'm doing 4 A-levels in September and nobody's told me I can't, even though it's very unusual at my school- of course, they may question it after I get my AS results next week, but I hope not! *fingers crossed*
Reply 39
well done!

Latest