The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lessthanthree
you can overdose on any medication - it's important not to, really. If you have gone over the reccommended dosage by a bit, don't worry, but if you take excessive amounts [I think they'd make you drowsy, those ones] you should see a doctor.

What i mean is...can they be fatal if you took like 6 or 7? :dong: Its not me btw.
Reply 2
Ring up NHS direct and find out. You can certainly be very ill on just a small overdose of antihistamines.
Reply 3
Doubtful - it's not like paracetamol where even just twice the recommended dose can kill you. It might make them very drowsy (so no driving etc) but it shouldn't be done on a regular basis.
Reply 4
viviki
Ring up NHS direct and find out. You can certainly be very ill on just a small overdose of antihistamines.

Hm...yeah. Drowsiness, sickness, weakness. :dong:
dry as a bone, red as a beet, hot as a hare, mad as a hatter, and blind as a bat.

that's what ahppens if you OD on anti-histamines.
seen it happen. was hilarious. bless the lady she was trying to top herself, just was going about it completely wrong.
Reply 6
Jamie
dry as a bone, red as a beet, hot as a hare, mad as a hatter, and blind as a bat.

that's what ahppens if you OD on anti-histamines.
seen it happen. was hilarious. bless the lady she was trying to top herself, just was going about it completely wrong.

Hm...aye..sounds hilarious. ^o)
Reply 7
I've accidentally taken a double dose of mine because I'm a forgetful mare and that was enough to make me sleep for an entire day nearly and give me a headache so I wouldn't fancy taking a few of them.
Reply 8
need_money

Well from teh webpage you gave us:
Never take more than the prescribed dose. If you suspect that you or someone else has taken an overdose of levocetirizine contact your doctor or go to the accident and emergency department of your local hospital at once. Always take the container with you, if possible, even if it is empty.

Seeing how at once is bold out I think it might be a good idea to follow that advice. Basically if the medecine sais you should contact proffessional help at once, I'd suspect that is pretty much teh best thing to do.
need_money
Hm...aye..sounds hilarious. ^o)

lady smacking her lips together cos her mouth was so dry, bright red, trying to pull her hospital gown off cos shes so hot and mummbling that they came for her brother and they were coming for her too.

Can't OD on anti-histamines by bum.
:rolleyes:
Helenia
paracetamol where even just twice the recommended dose can kill you

That can't really be correct can it?

MB
Reply 11
musicbloke

MB

Doubt it seeing as the recommend dosage is 2 normally and i've heard of people taking 8 and being ok. :confused:
Well the allowance per 24 hours is 8 I think?? :confused:

16 paracetamol at ONCE wouldn't kill you - I'm sure... nevermind in 24 hours
Reply 13
musicbloke

MB

Sounds unlikely, it could however cause irrepareable damage to your liver, and I shall not ignore the possibility that this might be fatal if you have contracted liver damage from before ( from drinking, cancer, other medications etc .. )
Reply 14
SW
Well the allowance per 24 hours is 8 I think?? :confused:

16 paracetamol at ONCE wouldn't kill you - I'm sure... nevermind in 24 hours

They would sure as hell put you in hospital! Was watching casualty ages ago and a girl took 15 paracetamol and almost died. :eek: I know its only TV but its based on fact.
Reply 15
need_money
They would sure as hell put you in hospital! Was watching casualty ages ago and a girl took 15 paracetamol and almost died. :eek: I know its only TV but its based on fact.

It depends on the individual's current medical condition, I'd imagine.
Reply 16
There was a story in the news a while back about someone who took 9 in a day and died!
Reply 17
musicbloke

MB

It's more or less true [I have 3-4 times in my lecture notes, but what's 2 tablets between friends?] - paracetamol has a low therapeutic range (the difference between bugger all physiological effect and toxicity). The therapeutic and toxic dose are fairly similar.

Combine it with alcohol and the toxic dose is even lower (as it potentiates liver damage).
Reply 18
That is very scary!
Reply 19
I should imagine that it would also depend on the millgrams/tablet of actual paracetemol. Taking 2 150mg tabs is the same as taking 6 50mg tabs!

Latest

Trending

Trending