Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m on two months work placement at a motorbike shop, as part of a4e training centre. Anyway, during these two’s month I have already got a number of pre-booked arrangements. (such as my A level results day, and my sisters wedding aboard, which has been booked for two years) now before, I came out the placement I had sent out a application form for a job, a month had passed, and I wasn’t expecting to hear anything back. Only I now have a interview (my first ever interview!) I went to my placement and asked for the morning off, saying that I feel I should go as it will be a good experience for me (ect)
    They started saying, I am ‘taking the piss’ with all my days off , and that I’m having too many. I told them my dad already made me ring the interview office and tell them I’ll be going (which he did do) and they started saying ‘come and tell your dad to work here, and then he can see if he can get a day off, because it’ll be ****ing impossible’ ‘your taking the piss, and your not going, that’s final’. I was really upset by this, as they were yelling at me, and I mean it’s only a work placement (which I am not getting paid for) do you think this is fair? Do you think I should do something about it? I mean, if there's a chance of a real job with this interview, then I'm going end of.

what do you all think?

ReputationRep:
    I’m on two months work placement at a motorbike shop, as part of a4e training centre. Anyway, during these two’s month I have already got a number of pre-booked arrangements. (such as my A level results day, and my sisters wedding aboard, which has been booked for two years) now before, I came out the placement I had sent out a application form for a job, a month had passed, and I wasn’t expecting to hear anything back. Only I now have a interview (my first ever interview!) I went to my placement and asked for the morning off, saying that I feel I should go as it will be a good experience for me (ect)
    They started saying, I am ‘taking the piss’ with all my days off , and that I’m having too many. I told them my dad already made me ring the interview office and tell them I’ll be going (which he did do) and they started saying ‘come and tell your dad to work here, and then he can see if he can get a day off, because it’ll be ****ing impossible’ ‘your taking the piss, and your not going, that’s final’. I was really upset by this, as they were yelling at me, and I mean it’s only a work placement (which I am not getting paid for) do you think this is fair? Do you think I should do something about it? I mean, if there's a chance of a real job with this interview, then I'm going end of.

what do you all think?

*this is posted in two places to get the best feedback*

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    Personally, I think the smartest thing you could do is to give them a fine and leave.

Its not like they are paying you or anything like that so whats the hullabaloo...you dont need to be rude or anything but you cant let a no-pay employer treat you like dirt... :rolleyes: God knows what will happen if you were been paid.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Hayley

Well, they shouldnt be speaking to you that way, and if you were employed by them for money, you would not take that language from them and make a complaint... I hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you? Is it because you are younger and they feel that they can speak to you like that? You have done all the right things by being honest and up front, asking for days off in advance. If you were paid employed by these people then you would have a number of days holiday per year and would probably be allowed to take the day off as holiday (how many days do you have booked off so far?), it seems as though they are 'taking the piss' by using you for all they can. At the end of the day, it is YOUR placement for YOU to learn, they are just a tool for that. If I was you I would go to the interview. Try speaking to them again about it, dont bring your dad into it but just tell them exactly what you have put here, that it is your first interview, good experience, and you WANT THAT JOB!! If they really say no again.... then take the day off sick!! Ring in that morning and LIE. They will know you are lying but cannot prove anything and at the end of the day you will not lose out on any money as you arent getting paid anyway..... Go to the interview!! Also, if you have a placement advisor, I would have a word with them and see what they think of the attitude and manner of the people you are working for.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley_2k4)

what do you all think?
    go for the interview! life is abt takin risks!!!

ReputationRep:
    The fact is that, whether you're getting paid or not, they rely on you turning up. If you don't turn up, someone else has to do your job - and if they got a paid employee instead of you, they could enforce how often this person has to come in.

BUT they've chosen to get you in, to save on costs. Considering that you're doing all this work for free, I think they could be a bit more understanding, especially since you've given them ample notice. They certainly shouldn't be shouting at you.

What you do from this point on is completely up to you. I would be tempted to tell your boss to stick his work placement up his arse and just leave: if you don't go to this interview, you're giving up the chance of paid employment (presumably) just because your boss is bullying you.

If you threaten to leave, your boss might change his mind anyway: there's no point in losing a perfectly good employee - who works for nothing - over this. If he doesn't change his mind, you've got lots of free time to go to interviews.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Legally they're only obliged to give you 3.3 days off (including bank holidays) for a 2 month placement.

But if you're not being paid for it then they really can't stop you from taking more (if they were paying you then they could withold pay for those days if they liked)....I'd say just go - they're getting you working there for free, if they can't be reasonable then they don't deserve your time.

ReputationRep:
    in my assesement i had to answer 8 pages of questions about reading.

ReputationRep:
    personally, I think you should tell them that, as you are working for free, you are doing work that someone else would have to do with no cost to the business and that if they want to get someone in to do whatever it is you're doing, then that's fine with you and leave.

But that's just me ^^;
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you told them the dates and stuff before you accepted the work placement then they have to let you go.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would be having a rant at the people who out me on the work placement in the first place - are they aware of how you're being treated? If not, then they should be MADE aware - perhaps they should investigate businesses a little more thoroughly before placing people with them.

When you've complained to them - THEN go back to the shop and tell them where to stick it!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Please don't post duplicate threads:mad:

ReputationRep:
    If my employer dared speak to me like that I'd tell them where to shove their work placement....well,in more polite words but yes.Phone in sick if they won't let you have the day off!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.