Turn on thread page Beta

integration problem using substitution watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, i think i may be being very thick, but i've been running through my 1st term problem sheets (doing biochem at ox), and i can't figure out this integration. it says to do it by substitution... y=x^3(x^4 + 4)^2. Any help anyone? Please no one do it by parts and show me that, has to be substitution! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlywee)
    ok, i think i may be being very thick, but i've been running through my 1st term problem sheets (doing biochem at ox), and i can't figure out this integration. it says to do it by substitution... y=x^3(x^4 + 4)^2. Any help anyone? Please no one do it by parts and show me that, has to be substitution! x

Can you not multiply out the brackets and integrate each term separately to give:

1/20*x^20 + x^8 + 4x^4.

ReputationRep:
    need to be using substitution...thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Can you not multiply out the brackets and integrate each term separately to give:

1/20*x^20 + x^8 + 4x^4.
    Thats what I would do.

You do biochem and you study maths? I didn't realise. However I study Mechanical Engineering and all we do is maths. Its pisses me off when people think we learn how to fix cars or something equally stupid.

ReputationRep:
    yep, bugger loads of maths! i knew it'd happen, but i'm hating it way more than i thought i would!

ReputationRep:
    this is pretty easy.

int. x^3(x^4 + 4)^2 dx

let u = x^4 + 4
    du/dx = 4x^3
    dx = 1/(4x^3) du

subst. for dx.

so int. (x^3)/(4x^3) u^2 du = int. 1/4 u^2 du = [1/12 u^3]

= 1/12(x^4 + 4)^3

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.