Turn on thread page Beta

Dare to share? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all :tsr: members!
    My question this time is what do you think: is it better to have your own room or should I dare to have a twin room with a stranger?
    I used to think that sharing could be fun but then we all wonder what will happen if we end up with someone who really does not float our boat!
    For all the people out there who do share can you give me the pro's and con's.
    I am a fun person who loves meeting new people and I am pretty open so I dont think I'd have any problems with sharing but then again...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you are just about to apply to university, this really isn't the first thing to be asking about - surely where you want to go and what you want to do are slightly more pressing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if you're just applying now presumably it's for entry in 2006... so you won't need to think about accomodation for a while. Some Universities don't even HAVE twin rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    If you are just about to apply to university, this really isn't the first thing to be asking about - surely where you want to go and what you want to do are slightly more pressing.
    Yeah thanks mate, obviously that is more important but I do know where I want to go and what I want to do .

ReputationRep:
    then you dont really need to think about this until may, when you need to accept your firm and insurance for ucas and then they will send you housing information.
    As stated though, most places dont provide sharing accomodation, and if your in halls you will have loadsa people around anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My friend didnt get her first choice uni and so had no option left but to share. She didnt really get on with her room mate. Plus, what is you have your boyfriend to stay or she does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VVV1)
    My friend didnt get her first choice uni and so had no option left but to share. She didnt really get on with her room mate. Plus, what is you have your boyfriend to stay or she does?
    You put a sock on the door handle and they make alternative sleeping arrangements :p:

But nah... where in the UK still does shared rooms anyway?

ReputationRep:
    oxford...i had to share with a 22 year old german who spoke no english in my first year...wasn't best.
    It was, on the other hand, an excuse to go out and get pissed more frequently...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldier)
    You put a sock on the door handle and they make alternative sleeping arrangements :p:

You could but wouldnt you get a bit narked if there was constantly a sock on the door and you had to sleep on the kitchen floor or in the bath?

Exeter

ReputationRep:
    University of Hertfordshire has some shared rooms.

ReputationRep:
    And Nottingham. xx

ReputationRep:
    Sussex has a few. I think that Brunel actually has quite a lot of shared accommodation.

I think a lot of universities have a small number of shared rooms.

ReputationRep:
    the only benefit of a shared room that i can think of, is that it might save you about £10 a month on rent

ReputationRep:
    I think Durham still has shared rooms for first years at some colleges.

ReputationRep:
    You don't want to share - how can you do certain things with the opposite sex? I've shared a room with my sister all my life and I can't WAIT to have a room to myself!! Privacy is nice! Plus, a teacher told me that her room mate wasn't much fun at uni, she was a devout Christian and disapproved of any fun that she tried to have.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd want to share a room, which is why I'll need to choose my Durham college carefully as some have shared rooms. I've always had my own room and I think it would be too much of a shock to the system to suddenly have to share a room at 18! You'll meet loads of people anyway in either halls or flats, but I'd much prefer the privacy of my own room.

ReputationRep:
    If you're sharing a room with someone and you get a boyfriend or girlfriend once you're there, you'll have to find more interesting places to have sex!

Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    Bristol has a few. Hope I don't end up in one! If I do I'll be straight on the transfer list, no matter how lovely the other person is.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be as if most uni's have a few shared rooms.

Bristol has a few, allthough it sounded like very few. I think there were three options on the form.

SOmething like "would you be prepared to share a room"

a) Yes
    b) No
    c) No preference.

I put c, because i diddn't want to come across as anti-social or not get into a nice hall because of it.... but i don't want to share a room. I hope i won't have too.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.