The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

KCL's Hall of Residence has some (shared rooms). I really don't mind. I shared a lot whilst at boarding school (incl. 10 to a dorm; double room too). I didn't get to choose much either.

And as long as the sharer is like me (quiet, relaxed), then all's palletti.
I had to share a room in first year and, despite my room-mate on the whole being a pleasant bloke, it wasn't an experience I feel had any benefits.

I, and many of my contemporaries, found it quite difficult to adjust to the fact that you had no private space at all, for the whole year. On top of the stress of going to university I think this is not the most responsible move for universities to make in regards to the health and welfare of their students.

It's fine if you've been brought up in a boarding school dormatory situation, but for most of us two young adults sharing the same living space is at best going to cause some tensions and is at worst a disaster.

My personal recommendation is that you steer clear of shared rooms. It may seem at the time like a trivial matter when choosing a university, but I was utterly miserable during my first year (to the point that I had to be cajoled out of quiting by my parents on several occasions) and it did affect my life a lot.
Reply 22
I'm currently sharing a room with a roommate (for 6 weeks over the summer) and, although I'm enjoying it, it would drive me totally made if it was for much longer than that. We get on well together, but it's really strange not having any personal space and I'd really like to have somewhere I can go and just be left alone sometimes! I don't think I'd recommend it for a whole year at university - a single room would definitely be better.
Jenn xx
vgod it wud be horrible to be stuck in such a small place with someone you havent met before for a whole year! and what when ya bf comes round wud be so awkward!
I dunno...Dawson's Creek made it look loadsa fun...lifelong buddies, one stable one slightly insane so perfectly matched (naturally lead on to being each other's Maid of Honour, kids godmothers etc.) In reality I'm not toally convinced and from sharing in houses with people (not bedrooms!) I'd rather sleep in a box than ever share more than a kitchen with someone I didn't know again.

Some unis offer shared accomm if you're going with a mate....but I reckon I'd want to be free of them for the first year to make new friends!
Reply 25
I've spent the past five years at boarding school sharing rooms, if you get on with the person it's a real laugh and you have a great time, but if you don't, it's hell. Plus, the lack of privacy is definitely a down side :wink:!
Reply 26
Toy Soldier
You put a sock on the door handle and they make alternative sleeping arrangements :p:

But nah... where in the UK still does shared rooms anyway?

well, eh ... i've applied for a triple room at Imperial accommodation...
single room was never an option, the price for a single room is too much.
Zakatu
It seems to be as if most uni's have a few shared rooms.

Bristol has a few, allthough it sounded like very few. I think there were three options on the form.

SOmething like "would you be prepared to share a room"

a) Yes
b) No
c) No preference.

I put c, because i diddn't want to come across as anti-social or not get into a nice hall because of it.... but i don't want to share a room. I hope i won't have too.

I think that question was "Would you be prepared to share a room/flat with a smoker?"

I put no on the grounds that I would hate it and my first choice hall is all non smoking and single rooms anyway, so that might help me get in there! Maybe.

You could tick a box to say you would prefer a shared room (I steered well clear) but it said any student may be required to share a room. :eek:

Hope it's not me. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending