Bank account? Watch

This discussion is closed.
crazydaveuk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I remember when visiting Sussex that there was a
bank in the middle of the campus.... which one is it?
Barclays rings a bell, but I forget just about everything.

Since we're all kinda setting up our accounts now,
I might as well go for the convenient option here. ^o)
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There's Barclays and HSBC banking on campus. Plus a Lloyds cash machine.
MartinP
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
HSBC is nearest the first year accomodation. Barclays is on the edge of campus near the main entrance which I guess is more useful when your in your second/third years.
nikkif99uk
Report 13 years ago
i know am glad they got HSBC, as just changed my account to a student account with them and got £50.00 from them, wish it was a 5 year young persons railcard but they stopped that
crazydaveuk
Rep:
?
^^^ Yeah, I think I saw Natwest offering that,
it'd be really useful since I use the train all the damn time.

But hey, I'll get my railcard one way or another... it all works out.
appleshampoo
Report 13 years ago
im wiv barclays at teh mo, but was gonna change to natwest cos of the railcardas well as the fact they let u hav the biggest overdraft....butf there isnt one on campus do u reckon i should stick wiv barclays/change 2 hsbc??
Elementalism
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
@ appleshampoo - TBH, if you've got telephone banking set up on a Natwest account, you'll probably never need to visit a branch. I haven't, but it depends. HSBC is supposed to be pretty good, and unless you're totally ***** at budgeting, you'll probably never need to max your overdraft out...I did, but that's beside the point
appleshampoo
Report 13 years ago
its not so much needin to go to the branch, but more needing a cash point, cos i dont really wanna hav to travel into brighton everytime i need to get some money from the bank!!
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Am I right in assuming that the nearest NatWest is in Brighton..?
Pepaim
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Railcard only costs £20 so use the £50 HSBC give you to buy one and have £30 left over!
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pepaim)
Railcard only costs £20 so use the £50 HSBC give you to buy one and have £30 left over!

The railcard you get with NatWest is a five year one, you can't actually buy that, but it's the equivalent of 5 x twenty pounds, so one hundred pounds.

If, like me, you plan to use the train a lot, then the railcard option is far better. I'll soon make that fifty quid I could've got at HSBC...
Pepaim
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ah ok didn't realise that one! I reckon i'll still go with HSBS as its convinient and because the £50 will buy me a couple of weeks food!
serah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
Am I right in assuming that the nearest NatWest is in Brighton..?
i registered with the one in lewes road, which is only a little ways down from the uni. easily doable on a bike, though i doubt i'll need to go there much. there's a cashpoint on campus, right?
nikkif99uk
Report 13 years ago
have joined hsbc but am gonna join up with natwest get the railcard and close the account little while later, as the railcard is a *gift* so they can't take it back lol.
crazydaveuk
Rep:
?
^^^ My mum was saying to me that she'll try to "negotiate" with HSBC,
and they might give us the railcard after all. Banks are flexible you know! :cool:

And the whole point of these 'gifts' is that they know consumer apathy
in the banking sector is at a high, so once they've got us signed up now
they'll probably have us for life! So our custom is important to them.
Pepaim
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've gone for HSBC and the £50, hopefully i'll get a confirmation letter tomorrow.
appleshampoo
Report 13 years ago
yeah my mum said to negotiate too, she reckns she can get them to just giv me £100...hmmm...not so sure!! i mite try and get them to swap the coach card for a rail card...
crazydaveuk
Rep:
?
Well t'other day we had a go...

HSBC said just to "tick which incentive" we'd want, either the mp3 player or the CDs.
Basically, I want neither, their only other option was apply online and get £50.

Since the railcard is SO much more convenient (I travel by train a lot), as well as more
practical, I've decided to bank with Natwest instead. Even if there's an HSBC on campus,
it's not like I'll be withdrawing cash every time I pass through! It'll be fine this way.
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've gone HSBC, with the £50
Pepaim
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My confirmations taking bloody ages! I did it last Thursday or Friday afternoon (can't remember) and I haven't got a letter.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (486)
80.07%
Leave (121)
19.93%

Watched Threads