The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
F1 fanatic
Well yes.. but Im a strong proponent of fusion - to me its the only way forward. Its the only clean energy that matches our energy needs...

Which is way off the topic of <30k cars but ahh well :rolleyes:

Leave it to a physicist to bring up fusion. You're more intelligent than engineers.
Reply 81
Who said anything about engineers? some of us are earth scientists and therefore highly knowledgeable on mechanisms of power production.
bikerx23
Fusion? i thought you said you studied physics...
if your willing to wait for 50 years....

Its a lot closer than you may think. There is only one problem yet to be solved and that is the removal of waste. The containment fields are fine, it is positively producing and so on... the single problem is the removal of lithium from the reactor which means it can only run for a minute or 2 at present. Hopefully with this new test reactor in France that can all be sorted and voila :biggrin:
Reply 83
bikerx23
Who said anything about engineers? some of us are earth scientists and therefore highly knowledgeable on mechanisms of power production.

um, Well obviously I mentioned engineers................. :biggrin:

Earth science? Is that like environmental science or moreso natural science in America??
Reply 84
Its a mix of all the best bits of science - Geology mainly, but with very high depths of maths, physics, chemistry, evolutionary biology, environmental science.etc.
Brilliant degree to do.
Reply 85
bikerx23
Its a mix of all the best bits of science - Geology mainly, but with very high depths of maths, physics, chemistry, evolutionary biology, environmental science.etc.
Brilliant degree to do.

Ah, not that you're biased or anything. What kind of career do you want to pursue then?

And what level of mathematics do you have to reach?
Reply 86
I want to pursue a career in volcanology - so not the most common.
I am biased ofcourse, but the course does tend to imspire its students more than most...
I wouldn't know what sort of level maths you would require...In areas it will be more advanced than the said physics course (e.g. in gravity mechanics), we also do some very high level theoretical mathematics (convection modelling.etc.)
Reply 87
F1 fanatic
Its a lot closer than you may think. There is only one problem yet to be solved and that is the removal of waste. The containment fields are fine, it is positively producing and so on... the single problem is the removal of lithium from the reactor which means it can only run for a minute or 2 at present. Hopefully with this new test reactor in France that can all be sorted and voila :biggrin:

Are you talking 10 years a couple of years or next week then?
I can't believe we're even giving the french the opportunity! :biggrin:
Reply 88
bikerx23
I want to pursue a career in volcanology - so not the most common.
I am biased ofcourse, but the course does tend to imspire its students more than most...
I wouldn't know what sort of level maths you would require...In areas it will be more advanced than the said physics course (e.g. in gravity mechanics), we also do some very high level theoretical mathematics (convection modelling.etc.)

Hmm volcanology? Ok....so you sound like the type who's into extreme sports and can rockclimb up brick buildings.

Do you guys monitor volcanoes and wait for them to erupt?

It's over 4 am, I think I'm heading off to beddy byes.

But I'll be back, l8r. Night y'all.
bikerx23
Are you talking 10 years a couple of years or next week then?
I can't believe we're even giving the french the opportunity! :biggrin:

Not next week - they havent built it yet. Lets say around 10 years, but don't hold me to it. :rolleyes: :wink:
SlyPie
Hmm volcanology? Ok....so you sound like the type who's into extreme sports and can rockclimb up brick buildings.

Do you guys monitor volcanoes and wait for them to erupt?

It's over 4 am, I think I'm heading off to beddy byes.

But I'll be back, l8r. Night y'all.

ooh nasty - night night. Sleep well. :smile: - nice speaking to you :smile: :ciao:
Reply 91
You have me pegged there slypie...
we generally monitor then sod off when they're about to erupt, we're not into danger that much!
I'll be knocking on your door in 10 years if your wrong F1_fanatic!
bikerx23
You have me pegged there slypie...
we generally monitor then sod off when they're about to erupt, we're not into danger that much!
I'll be knocking on your door in 10 years if your wrong F1_fanatic!

*makes mental note* :afraid:

Although I could speek off in my 30K super hydrogn car thingy :wink:
Reply 93
All the cars here were either on top gear on sunday or would cost more than £30k to maintain for a year :rolleyes:

Get an MGTF or a lotus elise, they may not have as nice interiors as a boring golf or something, but they're a million times for fun to drive.

Oh and if you can afford the insurance, but a Toyota Sup-Ra :tsr:
Ford Fiesta
Reply 95
back on track mofo,s! thought this topic was on sexy cars not economical ones!

right my idea of a sexy car for under 30k would be... some kind of alfa, dont know what one tho. second choice would be a 911, cos they,r luuuuush.

and beause of the topic on mpg/ economical nonsense, how many miles to the gallon do you think cruise ships use?????

6 inches to the gallon!!!!! think about it, how much that is going to burn in a mile, quite a lot!

you,d never get me in a stupid hydrogen car, cost far too much, too slow, hard to get fuel for and just stupid.

if you really want to save the enviroment recycle more :biggrin:
Reply 96
You do know that a litre of hydrogen produces 3 times as much energy as petrol - theres no reason to assume it would be slow :biggrin:
and since when was a 911 under 30k?
Reply 97
lotus exige anyone?

i believe they are around 30k...
Reply 98
:congrats: good call....
Reply 99
some kind of alfa

The new 159 is sexy. But the Brera is just beautiful. BMW and Merc and pushing out the same shape cars for the 20th year running and Alfa come out with that, go them!

Latest

Trending

Trending