Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone had any offers/rejections from ox or cam yet? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allotriophagy)
    Yes, but with Woman's Hour on Radio 4 and cups of tea.

~sipsip~

a.
    Ha Ha Ha. I shall have a go. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    How long u been waiting? i have been waiting since 8th Dec! thats nearly a month!!!!!

Sxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelzland)
    How long u been waiting? i have been waiting since 8th Dec! thats nearly a month!!!!!

Sxxxxxx
    I have been waiting since Dec 16th. I think that is real mean of them to keep you waiting so long. What college interviewed you?

ReputationRep:
    Economics at Homerton. And you? what course and college u trying for? I was one of the frst to get interviewed (dunno if that means anything!) so thats why the wait is sooooooooo long!
    Sxx

ReputationRep:
    Economics at Homerton. And you? what course and college u trying for? I was one of the frst to get interviewed (dunno if that means anything!) so thats why the wait is sooooooooo long!
    Sxx
    I am 23 years old, so apparently I am 'mature'. I was interviewed by a mature/graduate college - Wolfson, for Archeaology and Anthropology. I think I was one of the last to be interviewed because the place was deserted when I was there. And I only got one 20 minute interview! Dunno how I was supposed to discuss my interest in three different subjects, my personal life, my extra years in the real world,my essays etc. in this amount of time! I felt so rushed.

ReputationRep:
    heya!
    i hope you don't mind me asking....but why wait so long to go to university?
    Sxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    I am 23 years old, so apparently I am 'mature'. I was interviewed by a mature/graduate college - Wolfson, for Archeaology and Anthropology. I think I was one of the last to be interviewed because the place was deserted when I was there. And I only got one 20 minute interview! Dunno how I was supposed to discuss my interest in three different subjects, my personal life, my extra years in the real world,my essays etc. in this amount of time! I felt so rushed.
    Ooh! I am 23 too and applied for law at St.John's. What made you pick a mature college, if I may ask?

a.

ReputationRep:
    heya!
    i hope you don't mind me asking....but why wait so long to go to university?
    Sxx
    I decided to take a year out....then, unexpectedly, had a kid. So, it wasn't so straightforward after that!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you are a mature student yopu have to apply to a mature student college. So what A-levels you do and if you got gd grades i suppose u will have no probs getting in!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh! I am 23 too and applied for law at St.John's. What made you pick a mature college, if I may ask?

a.
    I just liked this college. The people just seemed nice. I couldnt decide between Girton and Wolfson. In the end I decided on Wolfson because the people seemed more friendly, and less prententious (not that the people at Girton are pretentious!).
    I have to say, the buildings of Wolfson are pretty crap. But hey, the degree will be with me for life, not the architecture.

Why did you choose Johns? I didn't like it there one bit......The people werent very nice to me (but maybe they just didnt like me)

Plus....I'd rather be away from all the Brideshead revisited stuff. And Johns seemed to be the centre of all this kind of behaviour. Please dont take that the wrong way.

ReputationRep:
    Angelzland, mature students can apply to any College.

I suppose I had a different response from John's, which was very encouraging. Sorry to hear they were mean to you! Who did you speak to? Their admissions office has been brilliant. Not at all like Hughes Hall, who nearly had me in tears. (Though HH did help in some ways, actually, to give them credit.)

Plus I wanted a big College with a good law societ, cheap rents, central location and guaranteed accomodation for the course. And I didn't fancy spending all my time with people my age who already HAD degrees, constantly reminding me of my slowness.

a.

ReputationRep:
    Angelzland, mature students can apply to any College.

I suppose I had a different response from John's, which was very encouraging. Sorry to hear they were mean to you! Who did you speak to? Their admissions office has been brilliant. Not at all like Hughes Hall, who nearly had me in tears. (Though HH did help in some ways, actually, to give them credit.)

Plus I wanted a big College with a good law societ, cheap rents, central location and guaranteed accomodation for the course. And I didn't fancy spending all my time with people my age who already HAD degrees, constantly reminding me of my slowness.

a.
    I cant remember who I spoke to - I just want to put it out of my mind. I didnt consider Hughes Hall ( dont know why!!)

I wanted a small college, guaranteed accom. I was quite worried about being surrounded by dudes who already had degrees, but dismissed this thought. I dont think it would remind me of my slowness cos there would be another 90 or so other undergrads - some of which are probably 10 years slower than me.

I dont mind the fact that i will (potentially) be in the middle of nowhere. It will help me ride a bike and maintian my nice physique. Also, they have a some real sexy people in the college, I have to say.

ReputationRep:
    I dont mind the fact that i will (potentially) be in the middle of nowhere. It will help me ride a bike and maintian my nice physique. Also, they have a some real sexy people in the college, I have to say.
    Bah. I'll be stuck with all the spotty virgins. Maybe I should buy a bike...

a.

ReputationRep:
    Bah. I'll be stuck with all the spotty virgins. Maybe I should buy a bike...

a.
    LOL. Dunno bout the spots, but Virgins are good I suppose.

You will def need to buy a bike.

If you are into the traditional English looking guy/girl then maybe Johns is good for you. In fact you'll probably have lots of guys/girls interested in you.

But if you like more of an international type of looking somebody then you'll have to bring yourself to one of the mature colleges. They have so many international students. There was this Spanish looking girl and she really did look so good sitting there eating her food.

ReputationRep:
    I've not given much thought to THAT side of choosing a College but I suppose that if I get a bike then I can simply visit them all and sample everything. My ass will be killing me from all that riding though.

a.

ReputationRep:
    I've not given much thought to THAT side of choosing a College but I suppose that if I get a bike then I can simply visit them all and sample everything. My ass will be killing me from all that riding though.

a.
    Yes, you could - that's if your arse isn't hurting too much.
    You could always stand and ride.

Anyway, It aint that far. I can walk to the train station in 15 mins...so surely one could ride in less than 10.

How many people applied to John for Law? Im sure there must have been plenty

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot, I hear. Some people say as many as 200 but I think that's unlikely. There were about 15 people at the law test on my interview day so perhaps around 70 or so for around 10 places. But even that seems a little high. I should have asked but I am not stressing about it. If I am good enough, I'll get a place. If I am VERY close, I'll get pooled to one of the mature colleges and if I'm simply not up to scratch then that's the end of it.

~goes back to the John's shrine to pray~

a.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot, I hear. Some people say as many as 200 but I think that's unlikely. There were about 15 people at the law test on my interview day so perhaps around 70 or so for around 10 places. But even that seems a little high. I should have asked but I am not stressing about it. If I am good enough, I'll get a place. If I am VERY close, I'll get pooled to one of the mature colleges and if I'm simply not up to scratch then that's the end of it.

~goes back to the John's shrine to pray~

a.
    If you dont get in will you reapply next year?

I dont think I will. I got an interview at UCL in January and Im hoping that between Cam, LSE and UCL I'll get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    If you dont get in will you reapply next year?

I dont think I will. I got an interview at UCL in January and Im hoping that between Cam, LSE and UCL I'll get an offer!
    I think it depends on my other offers, since I've not had any yet besides a rejection from Warwick. Newcastle will make me an offer (they've said as much). So unless I end up getting rejected by everywhere, there would be no reason to reapply. I'll be happy wherever I go, otherwise I wouldn't have applied anywhere but Cambridge. Just got to wait and see!

a.

ReputationRep:
    I think a month is fairly quick actually- tutors have to decide in their heads, then with the other interviewers. Then I presume offers/pool ratio, negotiate overall quotas within the college.

Then do all the rest of their lives. Organise Xmas with family/friends etc. Mark work over the holidays.

Added to this the awful feeling you might be making a wrong decision...especially as there might not be much separating students at interview.

Just a thought.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.