This discussion is closed.
Kelli_1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone could help me decide which uni's are best to go for.
i want to be an accountant and so need to take a suitable degree.
iv been told that LSE is a good uni but you seem to have to be very clever to go there. (im predicted 3As and rest Bs in my GCSEs)

i was just wondering how everyone chose which uni to go to and which A levels to take??

Thanks

Kelli
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kelli_1)
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone could help me decide which uni's are best to go for.
iv been told that LSE is a good uni but you seem to have to be very clever to go there. (im predicted 3As and rest Bs in my GCSEs)

i was just wondering how everyone chose which uni to go to and which A levels to take??

Thanks

Kelli
It all depends what you are predicted to get in your A levels...
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi

Thanks

Kelli
LSE run some Summer School schemes which you might be interested in. At the end of Year 11, I went to one for Maths and it lasted a week. You should definitely take up this offer since it's free and it's one of the best unis in the world. It was the week right after my GCSE exams but I still had like 6/7 weeks to have fun after anyways!

Since then, I have been going to LSE on a regular basis, including the weekly Saturday classes which runs for the whole year. I think you gain an advantage in getting into LSE because they asked everyone if they were applying to LSE on the first week (a time when we was doing our UCAS forms).

But like the previous post suggested, your A levels are more important but concentrate on your GCSEs first! And see a careers advisor about what AS levels to take. Hope this helps.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think that worrying about specific uni choices now is too early.

What do you want to study for a degree? Presumably Maths and F.Maths would be good for accountancy, even if you don't do a degree in accountancy.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've applied for Accountancy and Finance at LSE, as I too want to be an accountant. For GCSEs I got 3 A*, 4A, 2B, C and I did a GNVQ and got a high merit. LSE only want traditional subjects for this course, so for my A-levels i'm doing maths (not essential), History (always favoured as good for analysis work) and Economics (again not essential but helpful) and for my AS i did Chemistry (as apparently it looks good if you have a science). I have been predicted AAB and LSE require ABB.

It would also be really helpful to your case if you did plenty of work experience related to your desired career/course, and if you can go on any courses which are available to you - CRAC organise a few (i found out about them from springboard - www.hobsons.com)

Good luck with your GCSEs, don't stress too much about university choices atm - just keep it in the back of your mind when chosing A-level courses and keep an eye open for any courses which come up - your career's adviser at school will be able to help you find courses.

xxxx
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi

Thanks

Kelli

You dont have to do an accounting degree to become and accountant...I'm doing BSc Mathematics and Economics and i might end up doing Masters in accounting and finance..who knows!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My dad wants me to be an accountant because he's one...urgh!! Personally I can't think of anything worse but if it's what you want to do then go for it. Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to do a completely vocational accounting degree though. The larger more prestigious firms will probably appreciate a more academic degree such as maths as you will do professional training anyway.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi

Thanks

Kelli
hmmm....it all depends.......are u jewish?
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
My dad wants me to be an accountant because he's one...urgh!! Personally I can't think of anything worse but if it's what you want to do then go for it. Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to do a completely vocational accounting degree though. The larger more prestigious firms will probably appreciate a more academic degree such as maths as you will do professional training anyway.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
No you dont have to do an accounting degree, although having accounting in your degree does help as it means you get exemptions from professional accounting examinations etc - which is why im not just doing an accounting degree - it has a lot of economics, maths, finance and business law (which is useful as im seriously considering doind a conversion so that i can also deal in business law)

xxxx
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have applied to do Mathematics and Economics at LSE and hopefully, I should get a good job with that. I'm only predicted ABB (it's a very good uni you know!) and I might just be lucky to receive a conditional offer from them.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemma1811)
No you dont have to do an accounting degree, although having accounting in your degree does help as it means you get exemptions from professional accounting examinations etc - which is why im not just doing an accounting degree - it has a lot of economics, maths, finance and business law (which is useful as im seriously considering doind a conversion so that i can also deal in business law)

xxxx

The two degree courses that I can think of which will certainly give you an advantage in the City are LSE's Acc/Fin, and the same degree at Warwick. Of course there are others, but those are the ones that I am sure of. Academic degrees make it harder to get into the top Acc firms, especially if you have no contacts, as there's sooo much competition, particularly during a recession. You can get by via doing something like....Classics, however Acc/Fin/Management/Econ/Maths/Physics are certainly preferred. If you're thinking about something academic, you must really take Acc/Biz related modules. It makes it easier to get an interview, and if the firm is to go about testing your 'commercial awareness' then that too is easier with a related degree. Also, bare in mind that for Accounting in particular, good A level grades are vital.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you can do an accountancy degree, or theres another accountancy qualification you can take instead (dont know too much about it though)

i'd consider non-accountancy degrees, loads of economics graduate become accountants and its a far more rewarding course than accountancy. i even read about 11% of geography grads go into the field, so it doesnt matter too much

for alevel do ]

economics
history
maths (only if you're good at it, cos its hard)
one other in case you decide to drop maths (like me)
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
It doesn't matter what degree you do if you want to be an accountant. Just try and get a good degree from a top university. My aunt says that when she was recruiting for deloitte, they would look at the university applicants studied at first, then the quality of their degree and then the amount of UCAS points (the last two might be the other way round).

Also, you might be interested to hear that she claims that, on average, people who did accounting degrees did worse in the exams for some reason (because they thought they already knew everything and didn't study?).
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
The two degree courses that I can think of which will certainly give you an advantage in the City are LSE's Acc/Fin, and the same degree at Warwick. Of course there are others, but those are the ones that I am sure of. Academic degrees make it harder to get into the top Acc firms, especially if you have no contacts, as there's sooo much competition, particularly during a recession. You can get by via doing something like....Classics, however Acc/Fin/Management/Econ/Maths/Physics are certainly preferred. If you're thinking about something academic, you must really take Acc/Biz related modules. It makes it easier to get an interview, and if the firm is to go about testing your 'commercial awareness' then that too is easier with a related degree. Also, bare in mind that for Accounting in particular, good A level grades are vital.
I agree about the importance of good a-levels but I'm not sure about the degree thing. Maybe it's changed a bit since she was recruiting, but the impression I get from my aunt was that any degree would be fine.

btw: she got EE at a-level and did Law at UCL (where she didn't do too well).
Bubblymintyaero
Report 16 years ago
The UCAS website is usually a good place to start finding out where offers the courses you're interested in...

http://www.ucas.com
Then click on Course Search

If you click on a course that interests you, it usually gives you uni contact info / their website. Maybe try sending off for a few prospectuses, just to get an idea of what the universities are looking for.

It's a good thing to get prepared now - many uni's like you to have lots of work experience, so you can get lots of that in, before you need to get round to deciding on where to apply/writing personal statements etc...

Jessica
xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads