Turn on thread page Beta

does anyone like them and if so,what are your fav songs/albums by them?

ReputationRep:
    good band, best albums: nevermind, in utero, unplugged in new york
    songs: heart shaped box, come as you are, lithium, dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    i have every album (the 4 studio albums)...
    i quite like Breed, Son Of A Gun, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Polly, Scentless Apprentice, etc...

ReputationRep:
    I've got the "Best Of" album, some excellent songs, but I'm not going to buy any other albums, don't really like them that much. Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Lithium, In Bloom and Heart-Shaped Box are my favourites, the rest I'm not that fond of, not sure why, they just haven't grown on me.

ReputationRep:
    I've got all the albums. Anybody here got "With the Lights Out"? I've also got Kurt's published Journals, its a good read

ReputationRep:
    aww i love nirvana not really a proper fan i aint got any albums or anything but all the songs i have heard from them are ace!

ReputationRep:
    nevermind - teen spirit, lithium, come as you are. they rocked.

ReputationRep:
    I got all their albums and With The Lights on DVD thingy, it's alright, the dvd is awesome despite the bad quality.
    My fav album is between Bleach, In Utero and Incesticide...I'm not a fan of Nevermind. :p:

I love the songs, 'Dumb', 'Pennyroyal Tea', 'Negative Creep' and 'Aneurysm'.

Ok, ok I had a "mild" obession with Nirvana when I was like 10-13 :rolleyes: , I don't really listen to them that much now but they still rock.

ReputationRep:
    I have their greatest hits album and also the box set they released, they are both good

ReputationRep:
    My introductuion to Nirvana was the Unplugged in New York album, which I still consider their best (and which contains the best David Bowie cover not done by Seu Jorge).

Incidentally, if you are a fan, you should get hold of a few albums by The Replacements - Cobain loved them almost as much as he loved The Pixies.

ReputationRep:
    i really like Nirvana. They're such a cool band. My favourite song has to be 'smells like teen spirit' followed by 'come as you are' 'lithium' 'heart shaped box' and the two cover versions he did live 'the man who sold the world' and 'where did you sleep last night' love it.

(Original post by OMGWTF)
    I've got all the albums. Anybody here got "With the Lights Out"? I've also got Kurt's published Journals, its a good read
    ooh,cool,i must get that.kurt...:love:

(Original post by Oziris)
    I have their greatest hits album and also the box set they released, they are both good
    what box set?

ReputationRep:
    what box set?
    It's a box set of 4 disks with "previously unreleased recordings", 1 DVD and a book thing.

Favourite album is In Utero but fave track is probably Territorial Pissings. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to see that movie about Kurt's life? Forgot whats its called.

ReputationRep:
    hey i read this at a site ..echos my feelings about the band to a considerable extent ..i used to like them and heard most of their work....but.....well anyway read this particular review about nevermind.........

"Nevermind. An album with a sound familiar to everybody by now. Thousands started copying this "legendary" band once they've listened to the stuff that came out under their signature. This particular album is considered by many a legendary classic, and a must-have. Critics all around the world were ecstatic once they got a whiff of this. Why does it leave me so cold then? I don't really enjoy this band, and I certainly don't enjoy the thousands that adopted this style either. I'm not saying that I totally disagree with the style of playing, but bands like Alice In Chains or Soundgarden somehow sound a lot better to me than the "rebel" Nirvana. Although it would be naive to ignore tha fact that "Nevermind" really is one of the most famous albums of all time, we don't have to be fooled into thinking that it is also one of the greatest. This band isn't much more than a very lucky garage band with a "bad boy" attitude. Personally, I blame bands like Nirvana (or the success of such bands, to be more precise) for distroying real rock 'n roll culture, and bringing music to the level it is at now. They practically killed heavy metal. Now, how should I admire that ? While keeping in mind that Nirvana, and "Nevermind", did represent a revolution in music (very good thing for many), I couldn't really grade the record according to my own feelings. It is what it is, but I still don't like it."...............

one more thing that has caught my attention is that no one on this thread goes raving about nirvana or kobain ...just says they were good or my fave...interesting !!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana are good, massively overated IMO, but good all the same...favourite song is probably either Drain You or Territorial Pissings...

ReputationRep:
    Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins said recently in an interview how he was telling Butch Vig (Producer also drummer of Garbage) how to record guitars and then 6 months later Nevermind came out and it sounded just like Gish (Smashing Pumpkins debut album) only with a better singer. He felt Nirvana got way too much credit for basically nothing except ripping off other bands.

Billy summed up the whole grunge era as Nirvana taking Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Janes Addiction and doing them one better. Then Gen X was killed by the only people who could-themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deenirdee)
    I got all their albums and With The Lights on DVD thingy, it's alright, the dvd is awesome despite the bad quality.
    My fav album is between Bleach, In Utero and Incesticide...I'm not a fan of Nevermind. :p:

I love the songs, 'Dumb', 'Pennyroyal Tea', 'Negative Creep' and 'Aneurysm'.

Ok, ok I had a "mild" obession with Nirvana when I was like 10-13 :rolleyes: , I don't really listen to them that much now but they still rock.
    I also had one of those obsession phases :rolleyes: i have all the albums, with the lights out dvd thing, singles box set etc... haven't really listened to them for a few years though.

Favourite album is In Utero. Favorite song is Heart-shaped box most of the time. Sometimes i really like Marigold though when i'm in more of a foo fighters kind of mood.

ReputationRep:
    They stalk me

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.